Rickson's beautiful jiu-jitsu

ttt

It isnt a comparison between Marcelo and Rickson. That isnt the point. The point is that his BJJ is beautiful because it accomplishes its objective in the most efficient way, smoothly, and flawlessly.

I guarantee that if you show that video to any high level player--Jacare, Marcelo, Leozinho, etc...--they are going to agree that it represents BJJ at an extremely high (and beautiful) level. I dont think you appreciate the beauty of doing something simple perfectly.

By the way, I dont feel one way or the other about Rickson as a person. I dont know him and dont have any affiliation with his team. I just admire his game a lot.

'the techniques Rickson used in that video are not awe inspiring.'

Thats right, sweeping, passing, mounting then submitting a BJJ BB in one minute and ten seconds, while keeping him off balance and defending the entire time isn't awe inspiring at all.

'Todays best like Marcelo are simply much smoother, more technical and more creative bjj players.'

Thats totally correct. Thats why Jacare did a totally new and awesome move called 'pull guard, get really new updated version of Kimura' and submitted him. Of course that was only possible because he is up to date with all of the changes in the sport. Thats just evolution!

'Q: Liborio has the fame of being the best Jiu-Jitsu fighter from your team. Everyone says that he's a finisher. Do you think he would beat Rickson in a sport Jiu-Jitsu fight?

CG: For sure he would win. I have no doubt.'

First let me state I am a Liborio fan. But aside from the awesome Remco Pardoel, who has Liborio beat worth mentioning. And same rules apply that you guys put on Rickson. No training stories etc. Only comp.

Rickson has beat guys like Sergio Penha and Rigan Machado. While Liborio was beating Remco. Yet all I here as how awesome Liborio is, and he would tool everyone.

Name some big names he has beat, and was it Sub or points.

I have no doubt how good rickson was and still is at his present age.

I keep hearing about other black belts who have trained with him say how amazing he still is.

what i wish is to see some recent video footage (in the last 10 years) of rickson rolling with high level black belts really going at it. i want to see with my own eyes how he is able to use basic GJJ to nullify some of the modern techniques of today. i am very curious to see how he does it.

it seems that when he rolls it like top secret. the only really good footage we have of rickson rolling is with royler at the old west LA school before his pride matches. his old competition footage are not of very good quality.

Armbreaker: 400-1, the support of many of today's top BJJ competitors, creating, cultivating, and possessing an aura, possessing the samurai spirit...need I say more?

Iron Man: See also the GJJ demo that Rickson and Royler put on during one of the Pride events. It's excellent quality and at the end, Rolyer and Rickson spar. They are both beautiful technicians, but Rickson still gets the better.

ttt for the vid

LOL at a widespread conspiracy among Brazilians to promote Rickson as the best.

What do they get out of that ?

Why not just promote Roger as the best if they really need a Gracie name at the top ?
ADCC 2005 = a record 8 submissions !
He never gets submitted....whoe gives a shit about decision loses by 'advantage'.

But no. There is a secret conspiracy to keep Rickson and his 'dated technique' on top.

Never mind the fact that every second post people make in BJJ forums is 'getting back to basics', 'mastering the basics' etc.... But when we see Rickson do it perfectly, suddenly its 'yeah...but he doesn't look as impressive as the flashy stuff Garcia does!'

Retards.

FingerorMoon is correct.

If you think Brazilians tend to build up the mystique of other people the way you are claiming they do for Rickson, you really have no clue about the culture.

ttt

"No, but Im saying they are just propelling the "Brazilian myth" further
along. Its a cultural thing (bjj culture) for them to promote the Gracies
and particularly Rickson." HOLLYWOOD-MO

another misinformed individual missing a great oportunity to keep it shut

if you ever knew how much divergencies exists in BJJ, how much people
dislike the Gracies, how much bad blood exists in Brazil between jiu-jitsu
practitioners you would know how stupid your statement sounds

ttt

If poeple were going to his school or otherwise had chances to train with him and they were ablt to handle him, they would be saying instead, "I tapped Rickson Gracie."

But so far no one is claiming any such thing.

And to frame what KASCA says with a specific example:

Paulo Filho is the latest person to sing the praises of Ricksons "out of this world" jiu-jitsu -- and if you understood the feuding that goes on between the various teams you'd understand why what Filho says can't be simply dismissed as "Brazilian Hero Worship"

Armbreaker-Well one is that he never lost a jiu jitsu match and won every single match by submission name someone else who has done that in jiu jitsu

funny, carlson said bustamante could beat rickson, but in training paulo fihlo kills busta from the rumors, and we all heard wut fihlo said about trainin with rickson. he is a wizzard of the art. end of story.

ttt

It amazes me that people still criticize Rickson.  Who cares who he would beat or not beat now or whatever 400-0 records were said about him by promoters more than 10 years ago. 

He really is really good.   The great BJJ guys who testify to that aren't making it up.  The guy is older now and still has incredible BJJ.    Why can't people just accept that he has some worshipers.  So what?

If you step back and just watch him roll, or go roll with him, how are his Jiu Jitsu and his accomplishments not impressive?

Rickson won every comp that he entered during his active BJJ career. A 164 lbs Rickson beat 186 lbs Sergio Penha. He always won the absolute despite not being close to a true HW...

Theres a good reason why he was voted the best BJJer of the 80s by BJJ greats like Carlson Gracie and why BJJ world champs like Filho, Werdum etc think that he still is the best...

Or maybe its all just one big brazilian conspiracy?