Right vs Right gripping question

"Do I only have 3-5 secs if I ONLY have the cross grip? "

Correct, you have to attack in 3-5 seconds with a one handed cross grip.

Like Yuko pointed out, you don't want to just hold the cross grip, it is a transitional movement. If you do, the guy will get your sleeve, or you will get locked up in a double two on one sleeve battle.

If you cross grip my lapel and hold it, I'll cut the grip, same with the sleeve. Nobody that is any good is going to just stand there and watch you grip.

Ben R.

"That's a decent point, Yuko. However, you don't stick it too far forward, and you don't put all the weight on it. It is a normal "hidari shizentai" stance, not a super-sideways radical one."

Isn't the "Jason Morris Sticker" suppose to work when the foot your attacking has no/little weight?

For example right vs left:

I only have the lapel grip against a lefty. I "stick" my right foot on his left foot. When he takes his left foot off the ground I then perform the "Jason Morris Sticker".

yeah when someone takes their foot of the ground thats when you throw em with it. Its harder to get a lefty with a sticker cuz they are more stabel and know what to do, but a righty who switches is ezer.

Yuko - Does everyone at JMJC use the "Jason Morris Sticker"?

most do but some of the girls dont

"Thanks Ben.
What stance should I have first if I'm fighting a lefty?"

Good question. I come out right against a left, the opposite of if he is a righty.

The problem is, you grab his lapel, then you have to make a big reach for the sleeve, plus, he already has your right lapel, which is half of his grip, while you do not have half of your grip.

Ben R.

Whenever somebody tries that sort of JM sticker on my, I don't move my foot. I also don't stand in too extreme a stance to avoid that sort of attack.

Our coach showed us a similar move, but you attack the back foot. It's kind of a back leg sticker.

The sticker is a pretty specialized move, it works sometimes on some people.

Ben R.

"Good question. I come out right against a left, the opposite of if he is a righty."

So you don't have to change stance anymore?

""Good question. I come out right against a left, the opposite of if he is a righty."
So you don't have to change stance anymore?"

Correct, unless you are going to switch to left!

Ben Reinhardt

"First thing, if you are fighting a righty, and you are a righty, then you need to lead off in a left hand stance.

Stop looking at me like that, I'm not stupid!"

I just had a look at plenty of world/olympic judo clips at judoinfo.com and judoclub.ca. In rightvsright all the players lead off in a right hand stance. It is also similar for leftvsleft.

WOW! I'm saving this thread. Somebody please archive!

TTT for Andrew Yao!

" just had a look at plenty of world/olympic judo clips at judoinfo.com and judoclub.ca. In rightvsright all the players lead off in a right hand stance. It is also similar for leftvsleft."

What I do is one method, obviously others work.

Our Japanese coach taught this to us as a method to help with grip fighting. I do not know if it is widespread in Japan, or something from Tokai University, or something he came up with himself.

Ben R.

Thanks Ben and allcloser.

Anymore gripping tips would be great!

"Thanks Ben and allcloser.
Anymore gripping tips would be great!"

You need to try different stuff and see what works best for you.

Whatever you do, remember the most basic stuff:
Elbows down
Lapel grip level with your shoulder, unless you are pulling the guy down.
Keep you shoulders relaxed and your grip tight.

Ben R.

Thanks!

allcloser - You just describe one of Ewan Beaton's gripping strategies when in rightvsright situation.

TTT for more tips.

ttt

Maybe Josh can contribute???

Josh has stated he is tired and his balls itch, so we may not hear from him for a while!

Ben R.

"Josh has stated he is tired and his balls itch, so we may not hear from him for a while!
Ben R."

hahahaha. Didn't he say that he's retired now? Now he can share his mad gripping skills/strategies!

ttt or more tips.