Right vs Right gripping question

He has retired so he has more time to scratch his balls. However, once his child is born, he will not have much time to scratch his balls. He will also be very tired.

Ben R.

*wonders if BR is sleep-deprived due to baby*

BTW, how's the baby?

never thoughtothers would contemplate the scratching of my balls, but thanks. =)

honestly i put that in cause it seemed to me as if everything that could be said about R V R has been said. its a very typical situation in all honesty.

rightys tend to be a lot more straight forward in the their gripping patterns than lefties do (not counting the "russian influences" naturally). youll usually see less extreme stances in rightys and the major gripping battle is to control the lapel hand. righty's are also much less apt to take either perpendicular or parallel stances when gripping-up as well.

for me, its actually very boring to watch 2 rightys battle it out. lefties are much more interesting because the odds are much higher than unusual grips & movement patterns will be seen. not to mention the throws come from the strangest positions.

so yea.. continue on with your A-typical righty v righty scenarios... i think i need to go and trim my nostril hair. =)

ttt for more tips

"*wonders if BR is sleep-deprived due to baby*
BTW, how's the baby?"

I can't remember, I must have been suffering from sleep deprivation for something.

Baby is fine, 8 months old and beginning to crawl.

Ben R.

very cool ben.

ttt for more tips

Hey Uchimatafan, how about some feedback on the advice we give. Have you tried any of it out yet?

Ben R.

Most of the information I know already via my coach and Ewan Beaton's tape.

IMO the switching stance against righty method you describe might be a bit risky. As/when/while you change your stance you might get thrown with ashiwaza.

"IMO the switching stance against righty method you describe might be a bit risky. As/when/while you change your stance you might get thrown with ashiwaza. "

Maybe so, but if you control the grip, and are thus have the initiative, chances are pretty low. The switch happens pretty quickly, and they are usually more worried about the fact you control their sleeve.

Ben R.

"1)You lead with your left foot, gripping his right front lapel with your right hand. You would look like a lefty for a second. This is not always risky because not all of them try ashiwaza without gripping hikite.

2)A split second after 1), reach and grip his back lapel with your right hand, forcefully bend his back, while repositioning your stance(you can either take a step with your right foot or or pull back your left foot, depending on how the other guy would react).

3)Grip his right sleeve with your left hand.

Easy, isn't it? Have you ever practiced this before?"

I'm having trouble picturing this. You grip his right lapel with your right hand (a cross grip), then switch to a back lapel grip on the left lapel?

Do you mean grip his right lapel with your LEFT hand, pull him down, then get the high grip with your right hand?

Ben R.

"Easy, isn't it? Have you ever practiced this before?"

I have practice this before. IMO it is better to have sleeve control first/ASAP against a righty. If the guy gets his lapel grip then both of you are in an equal situation.

Is Koga a lefty or a righty?

I'm not a fan of seoi because you have to turn 180 degrees for the entry.

ttt

Bull_in_chinashop - Thanks!

"What I do is one method, obviously others work.

Our Japanese coach taught this to us as a method to help with grip fighting. I do not know if it is widespread in Japan, or something from Tokai University, or something he came up with himself.

Ben R."

The only person I have seen doing this is Hidehiko Yoshida.

no problem uchimatafan.

mutual benefit. ;-)

ahh. screw it.. just grab the guy and throw em. =)

""What I do is one method, obviously others work.
Our Japanese coach taught this to us as a method to help with grip fighting. I do not know if it is widespread in Japan, or something from Tokai University, or something he came up with himself.

Ben R."

The only person I have seen doing this is Hidehiko Yoshida.

I had never seen it before either. Maybe he learned it from Yoshida, but I doubt it. Different folks can come up with the same stuff over time.

Also, I asked him if it was a method developed and taught at Tokai, and he said no, it was his method that he developed while doing research into kumi kata methods.

Interestingly, one of his students who is now at our school (ISU) for at least 3 years uses the method. The first time I did randori with him, we both laughed, because we were both right, but came out left. We got a bit of a chuckle out of it, then he proceeded to launch me all over the mat.

Ben R.