RIP Carlson Gracie Sr. : 7 Years

RIP 1932-2006

I've had my fair share of success in competitions, but the dearest thing I hold to me was when I competed and Carlson coached me. My instructor was next to him and yelling also, but the truth is I really didn't hear anything he said. At the end of my match, he came up to me and slapped me on the chest and said "casca grossa". That was and still is the most dearest compliment I've ever heard. From that day on, whenever he saw me, he would call me casca grossa.

BTW, the comment that you just did better when he was there is so true. I don't know how to describe it, but you just didn't want to let the old man down. It's funny because he wasn't even my instructor (my instructor was a black belt of his) but he looked upon you as his own.

EPIC video!!!

I be there with bomb

That was sweet ass sweet Phone Post

One of the three guys I wish I had trained with. When I heard he died...

That video was really put together well.

I love how everyone remembers the same things...

TTT for Carlson Gracie! Phone Post

I train under a miguel torres bb and recently i got to sit and chat with miguel and he told me some of the funniest stories about master carlson. He will always be membered and cherished! WAR CARLSON!

spider guard - I've had my fair share of success in competitions, but the dearest thing I hold to me was when I competed and Carlson coached me. My instructor was next to him and yelling also, but the truth is I really didn't hear anything he said. At the end of my match, he came up to me and slapped me on the chest and said "casca grossa". That was and still is the most dearest compliment I've ever heard. From that day on, whenever he saw me, he would call me casca grossa.

BTW, the comment that you just did better when he was there is so true. I don't know how to describe it, but you just didn't want to let the old man down. It's funny because he wasn't even my instructor (my instructor was a black belt of his) but he looked upon you as his own.

awesome story

ttt

The world isn't the same without him. Thank god that he valiantly carried jiu jitsu on his back when nobody else could. Thankfully he revolutionized MMA and Jiu Jitsu. I'm not sure how many people know just how much they owe GM Carlson even if they aren't directly under his lineage. The impact he made on martial arts is permanent and we are better for it. I'm sure he is listening to some weird French music or Buena Vista social club and laughing at double guard pulls and the growing rule set of MMA.

Roll In Peace! Phone Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPSCtjzco7M

Blue please

Without him a lot of us wouldn't be doing what we love today

RIP Mestre.

spider guard - I've had my fair share of success in competitions, but the dearest thing I hold to me was when I competed and Carlson coached me. My instructor was next to him and yelling also, but the truth is I really didn't hear anything he said. At the end of my match, he came up to me and slapped me on the chest and said "casca grossa". That was and still is the most dearest compliment I've ever heard. From that day on, whenever he saw me, he would call me casca grossa.

Word brother! I remember that day and you leaving EVERYTHING on the mat for Carlson. Respect

Any idea when part 2 might come out? This vid brought back fond memories for me.

my first bjj instructor was a Carlson Blackbelt and told me a funny story about Carlson

He said that one student had gotten a promotion to purple belt but then was forced to take an absence from training for work and was away for several months.

When the student returned to training, Carlson saw the student with his purple belt and had forgotten that he had promoted him. Carlson instantly went livid.

Carlson ran over and started yelling "Why do you wear this belt in here?!? Who told you to put this belt?!?" The student was horrified.

The other students who remembered the promotion ran over to placate Carlson and explain that he had in fact promoted the student before.

too funny

Total legend, Much respect, RIP

The only person in BJJ that I've ever wanted to meet. It saddens me that I'll never get that opportunity.

RIP Carlson.

I scanned a bunch of those newspaper pics for Junior=p. Awesome video dude.