RJJ accepts Silva's challenge

Crashdt - I think its humerous that people are willing to write this off as a never going to happen scenario. If Anderson gets beat by Weidman, or if he he had it written into his 10 fight contract, then it is a posibility.

Do I think Weidman is going to beat him, No, but that doesnt mean he cant.

Nothing is on the books for Roy Jones jr. right now either. There is talk of a fight against Steve Collins who is almost 50 and has been away from the ring for 15 years. And a bit about a rematch with Calzaghe, which is a fight he lost. And it was also the last time Calzaghe fought, no reason for a rematch.

So lets say this fight does happen, people are way to fast to write out Anderson. Roy will be close to 45 when this happens. He has lost more than he has won in the past 8 years and alot of people felt he lost his last fight as well. He has been getting knocked down and been KOed/TKOed four times in those losses.

Does any of that change the fact that Roy is an amazing boxer, No, but it also means he is human and is susceptible to getting KOed. Anderson has great movement, great counters and very good power, he wont have to worry at all about kicks or takedowns, and will be able to focus on his hands. Anderson has 3 inches of reach and height on Roy, which is never a good thing.

Dont be so quick to dismiss this fight. Do I think Anderson will win, maybe, but to say he isnt capable is stupid.

What you said is not unreasonable at all, I still think Roy's experience would be a factor, even today he moves real well and I'm not sure Silva would be able to deal with footwork he's not familiar with.

With that being said Jones is not in his prime anymore and that may be the only edge Silva needs.

I would pay to watch it, Silva is the only fighter in MMA that would have a chance with a boxer. But I have to add if Jones was in his prime Silva would get smoked. Phone Post 3.0

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

He would absolutely embarrass Silva.

And I say this because boxing and MMMA are totally different sports. Silva would destroy Roy in a kickboxing match, a MT rules match, a BJJ match, a wrestling match, an MMA fight, and pretty much every other form of combat.

No shame in losing to one of the greatest LHW boxers of all-time, regardless of how much he's declined.

Doesn't quite work like that, Rampage knocked out a few K-1 fighters back in the day with his remedial boxing, Roy jones would have a chance in a kicking boxing or MT fight.

KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas - 

He would absolutely embarrass Silva.

And I say this because boxing and MMMA are totally different sports. Silva would destroy Roy in a kickboxing match, a MT rules match, a BJJ match, a wrestling match, an MMA fight, and pretty much every other form of combat.

No shame in losing to one of the greatest LHW boxers of all-time, regardless of how much he's declined.

Doesn't quite work like that, Rampage knocked out a few K-1 fighters back in the day with his remedial boxing, Roy jones would have a chance in a kicking boxing or MT fight.

He would have a shot in kickboxing (especially in his prime), but he would get merked in a MT fight. If Rich Franklin couldn't escape Andy's clinch, I have my doubts that Roy would be able to.

FirstQuestion: Who owns RJJ's contract?

Is he free to make a deal with Zuffa?

We all know Zuffa does not co-promote. So, how would this all work out?

Does Zuffa buy RJJ and put on the first boxing match in the Octagon?

Nothing new here (April, 2008)

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Beatdown-Roy-Jones-Jr-and-Shayna-Baszler-569

"I loved watching RJJ fight when he was in his prime, best in the world at that time in my opinion. The mix of athleticism, power, and reflexes was unmatched."

That may be true but in reality Jones was a boxing coaches nightmare, as far as text book goes he had a lot of bad habits but he got away with them all because he was so incredibly fast, fast not only with his hands but fast on his feet.

Every time we displayed some bad habit in the gym sparring the coach would always say "you can't get away with doing that, it will cost you, you're not Roy Jones Junior"

In his prime he could close the distance, land and be out of range before the other guys brain could process how to react. A few times I can remember having to watch some segments of his fights two or three times so you could actually catch what he did. Phone Post 3.0

Rhys91 - Really? Silva would ko RJJ with ease at this point, his chin is completely shot. Phone Post 3.0
Yeh, about that, I'm not sure how to break this to you but, no Phone Post 3.0

Johnny D - "I loved watching RJJ fight when he was in his prime, best in the world at that time in my opinion. The mix of athleticism, power, and reflexes was unmatched."

That may be true but in reality Jones was a boxing coaches nightmare, as far as text book goes he had a lot of bad habits but he got away with them all because he was so incredibly fast, fast not only with his hands but fast on his feet.

Every time we displayed some bad habit in the gym sparring the coach would always say "you can't get away with doing that, it will cost you, you're not Roy Jones Junior"

In his prime he could close the distance, land and be out of range before the other guys brain could process how to react. A few times I can remember having to watch some segments of his fights two or three times so you could actually catch what he did. Phone Post 3.0

Yup, while I was certainly never a boxer, I always heard the same thing. He was so gifted, he was able to get away with some things you're taught to never do.
Prince Naseem Hamed used to be able to get away with some of that stuff, too.

Roy will rape him in a boxing match, Andy has no biz even trying. Don't get me wrong I'll watch this and pay to. Roy was one of the best ever and in his prime I can't see anyone beating him short of Suger Ray Robinson. Speed Kills.His reaction time is like The Matrix. I don't wanna hear Andy does the same thing,Forest Griffon don't count.Roy did against the best and fought everyone in multiple weight classes. Andy is the GOAT in MMA,MMA is young. Roy is top 10 ever in a sport thats old as the beast. I don't see this happening unless the UFC signs Jones to a 1 fight deal . Maybe boxing with MMA gloves and just agreeing to box on honor. Lol even worse for Andy.

I hope it happens

BadrMilk -
Johnny D - "I loved watching RJJ fight when he was in his prime, best in the world at that time in my opinion. The mix of athleticism, power, and reflexes was unmatched."

So how would you reckon Tyson - Jones would go. Phone Post 3.0
Prime Tyson skills against prime Jones skills all else being equal, if Tyson could hit him he would wreck him, but that's a very big "if". I personally think he'd be swatting at Jones like he was swatting at a fly but just couldn't get him. Phone Post 3.0

CRMartin11 -
Johnny D - 
Crashdt - I think its humerous that people are willing to write this off as a never going to happen scenario. If Anderson gets beat by Weidman, or if he he had it written into his 10 fight contract, then it is a posibility.

Do I think Weidman is going to beat him, No, but that doesnt mean he cant.

Nothing is on the books for Roy Jones jr. right now either. There is talk of a fight against Steve Collins who is almost 50 and has been away from the ring for 15 years. And a bit about a rematch with Calzaghe, which is a fight he lost. And it was also the last time Calzaghe fought, no reason for a rematch.

So lets say this fight does happen, people are way to fast to write out Anderson. Roy will be close to 45 when this happens. He has lost more than he has won in the past 8 years and alot of people felt he lost his last fight as well. He has been getting knocked down and been KOed/TKOed four times in those losses.

Does any of that change the fact that Roy is an amazing boxer, No, but it also means he is human and is susceptible to getting KOed. Anderson has great movement, great counters and very good power, he wont have to worry at all about kicks or takedowns, and will be able to focus on his hands. Anderson has 3 inches of reach and height on Roy, which is never a good thing.

Dont be so quick to dismiss this fight. Do I think Anderson will win, maybe, but to say he isnt capable is stupid.

What you said is not unreasonable at all, I still think Roy's experience would be a factor, even today he moves real well and I'm not sure Silva would be able to deal with footwork he's not familiar with.

With that being said Jones is not in his prime anymore and that may be the only edge Silva needs.

I would pay to watch it, Silva is the only fighter in MMA that would have a chance with a boxer. But I have to add if Jones was in his prime Silva would get smoked. Phone Post 3.0

I disagree about Anderson being the onyl person in MMA that would have a chance with a boxer. JDS would have a good chance against Tyson Fury.
I agree, I looked over JDS, my bad. Phone Post 3.0

I would not be shocked if Silva wins.

RJJ is hardly in his prime and Silva boxing is very good and his chin is granite.

Let me just throw this out there, In 25 years of working out in boxing gyms on and off I have seen a lot of Karate guys, Tae Kwon Do guys, Maui Thai guys, all kinds of striking disciplines try to beat boxers at their game, It's never happened.

Some fare better than others, some do quite well, but its different when you go in there against a real good boxer from a different striking discipline.

Usually what I hear is "the jab and the footwork is the big difference". A great boxer with good footwork and a great jab is not like fighting any other striking discipline.

The timing and the execution, the combinations and the movement are all very different. This doesn't mean those other guys weren't any good, their great at what they do, it's just not boxing.

Trivia question, what world champion kick boxer did Tommy Hearns knock out ?? Phone Post 3.0

Dana let roy come over to the UFC! Phone Post

Johnny D - Let me just throw this out there, In 25 years of working out in boxing gyms on and off I have seen a lot of Karate guys, Tae Kwon Do guys, Maui Thai guys, all kinds of striking disciplines try to beat boxers at their game, It's never happened.

Some fare better than others, some do quite well, but its different when you go in there against a real good boxer from a different striking discipline.

Usually what I hear is "the jab and the footwork is the big difference". A great boxer with good footwork and a great jab is not like fighting any other striking discipline.

The timing and the execution, the combinations and the movement are all very different. This doesn't mean those other guys weren't any good, their great at what they do, it's just not boxing.

Trivia question, what world champion kick boxer did Tommy Hearns knock out ?? Phone Post 3.0

There is a guy running around DFW named Richard Morris who claims that he knocked out Hearns. LOL@that.

MMA Playwrite -
Johnny D - Let me just throw this out there, In 25 years of working out in boxing gyms on and off I have seen a lot of Karate guys, Tae Kwon Do guys, Maui Thai guys, all kinds of striking disciplines try to beat boxers at their game, It's never happened.

There is a guy running around DFW named Richard Morris who claims that he knocked out Hearns. LOL@that.
Can't say I ever heard of that, I can say that there were some epic fights inside the Kronk gym away from the cameras eye and some crazy shit happened quite often.

Ask anyone who was there how Milt McCrory would best Hearns when sparring, what most don't know that back then McCrory would cut ridiculous amounts of weight to fight at 147, in the gym 30 or 40 pounds heavier he was a beast. Phone Post 3.0

McCrory vs. Curry:

Garv -

Love Andy but RJJ would make him look silly in the ring.  Just as foolish as Roy would look fighting MMA.

But it will never happen.   There's no way Anderson's long term contract would allow this fight.

All of this. Phone Post 3.0

whooooa whoooooa there imteamme lol, Ward would beat Calzaghe, it's funny Joe wanted nothing to do with Roy when Roy was the man in his hayday. The Hopkins fight was close, and a prime Calzaghe doesn't have much of a resume to boast about.