Rockhold: “I’m still the best motherf**ker” in the

GYM! 

He’s still the best mofo in the gym! 

“I feel being healthy and with a clear mind with nothing on my shoulders, I’m a problem for every one of these guys,” Rockhold told MMA Fighting this recently.

“I’m not done. I don’t feel like I’m done,” Rockhold added. “I feel like I have a lot more in me. I enjoy fighting. When I’m in the gym, I’m still the best motherf**ker there.

“It’s about fighting, stepping into that cage with a clear head and healthy body and taking out whoever’s in front of me.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/luke-rockhold-warns-rivals-ahead-of-comeback-im-still-the-best-motherfker-in-the-gym/

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oKIP8SBj9WEJoYhYQ/giphy.gif

He is very a very talented fighter but if he still thinks he is the best and doesn't take care of his weaknesses he could end up getting knocked out again. He could do with a little less confidence in this situation.

6 Likes

6 shooter !

Hold on, ill ask my mom.

Yep. He's the best. 

2 Likes

There are absolute killers in the gym who can’t put it together in the cage with anywhere near the same effectiveness.  

The mental/emotional aspect to gamesmanship is underlooked. It’s not just toughness but  decision making under duress, certain instincts, being able to read your opponent’s tells and feints or when he’s letting up mentally, resiliency and the ability to change approaches on the fly  etc. 

2 Likes

![](upload://8ocY2btmJjU35w28oYjoq8B9vLe.jpeg)

1 Like
HillboFrateTrane -

There are absolute killers in the gym who can’t put it together in the cage with anywhere near the same effectiveness.  

The mental/emotional aspect to gamesmanship is underlooked. It’s not just toughness but  decision making under duress, certain instincts, being able to read your opponent’s tells and feints or when he’s letting up mentally, resiliency and the ability to change approaches on the fly  etc. 

This. Rockhold was a killer in strikeforce and early UFC. He had a chip on his shoulder and it showed in his performances. Something changed (fame and money) and he turned into this smug cool guy who was too good to be there. Shame as he is super talented. 

2 Likes
stringtheory -
HillboFrateTrane -

This. Rockhold was a killer in strikeforce and early UFC. He had a chip on his shoulder and it showed in his performances. Something changed (fame and money) and he turned into this smug cool guy who was too good to be there. Shame as he is super talented. 

He hasn’t gotten any better since then either. He has vicious ground and pound, but his wrestling leaves much to be desired. Great knees and kicks. Some of the best body kicks in mma. Anytime he tries to box with anyone with power he gets lit up. Two huge holes I haven’t seen much iff any improvement in the last 5+years. 

he was an excellent fighter, but rarely protected his chin

this lead to a compromised chin, and a string of losses, and now he is past his prime ala weidman

every fighter peaks, and then starts losing more and more

in the end, he climbed the ladder to the very top

he can be proud of his career

1 Like

awesome,former champ deserves a shot.hopefully vs Rumble at lhw since they both came from a lower weight out of action and even bay area Cali/Florida connection.

This is the great thing about fighting. I know monsters in the gym that can’t put it together on fight night. Conversely, I know guys who are solid but aren’t necessarily world beaters in the gym who are just able to perform on fight night.  

HillboFrateTrane - 

I started referring to that as "Fight IQ" a while back.

Basically what you do and when you do it insider the cage.

Totally different from talent or athleticism.

An example of good fight IQ might be noticing that your opponent reacts the same way every time you jab. So on the next one its a fake and theres a monster body shot or takedown behind the fake jab.

An example of bad fight IQ might be when youre winning an ahead on the cards and your opponent cant take you down. But you decide to throw a weird wheel kick that youve never effectively used before and that allows them to drag you down and now youre exhausted stuck on bottom.

HillboFrateTrane -
stringtheory -
HillboFrateTrane -

He hasn’t gotten any better since then either. He has vicious ground and pound, but his wrestling leaves much to be desired. Great knees and kicks. Some of the best body kicks in mma. Anytime he tries to box with anyone with power he gets lit up. Two huge holes I haven’t seen much iff any improvement in the last 5+years. 

Well said. At kicking range he was very effective, his boxing was always just average, poor fundamentals, chin up etc. 

He should cut to 155 and fight smaller guys

no fan of the guy, much prefer bisping :o) but as much fun as it was watching him have a rough time, don't want to see him get ping'd again. hope they match him cautiously

I like Rockhold but am totally baffled by his performance vs Jan. Luke came in looking fucking strong and jacked but started spamming head kicks then shot in for a tajedown and then proceeded to use all his energy in a failed attempt to get Jan down. It was all over after that . Why would a fighter as experienced and skilled as Rockhold perform like that?

Several trainers that have worked with Rockhold say he has the most complete skillset of any Mma fighters they’ve seen or worked with, wtf

I anxiously await Rockhold returning…205 could use him more than 185

this is an odd photo to use as clickbait for this article ![](upload://msRPr0IYWfPpoz6TuA1JKTh4gbp.png)

Love em or hate em Rockhold is a problem for anyone at anytime. 

1 Like

Best in the gym doesn’t mean best under the lights.

ons ear - I like Rockhold but am totally baffled by his performance vs Jan. Luke came in looking fucking strong and jacked but started spamming head kicks then shot in for a tajedown and then proceeded to use all his energy in a failed attempt to get Jan down. It was all over after that . Why would a fighter as experienced and skilled as Rockhold perform like that?

Several trainers that have worked with Rockhold say he has the most complete skillset of any Mma fighters they’ve seen or worked with, wtf

I anxiously await Rockhold returning…205 could use him more than 185

I think it had to do with Luke not 6et being used to carrying all of that extra meat. 

He looked swole af but it ended up crushing his cardio. 

I'm glad he's coming back but I'll believe it when he's in the cage being announced lol