Rogan Encourages Elite Fighters Outside of the UFC to Stop Wasting their Careers:

1 Like

UFC commentator Joe Rogan has encouraged elite fighters outside of the promotion not to waste their careers.

Over the course of the last few decades, the majority of the best fighters in MMA have made their way over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship. However, that hasn’t always been the case.
For one reason or the other, some have always been on the outside looking in. In that time, one commentator has been there to see them all come and go – and that’s Joe Rogan.
In a recent interview with Bo Nickal, Rogan gave his candid thoughts when it came to the subject of elite fighters competing outside the UFC.

Rogan gives non-UFC fighters some advice

“No disrespect to the other organizations, there’s very good fighters in the other organizations, but I often feel like they’re wasting their career,” Rogan told Nickal. “Because I see these elite fighters that are fighting in Bellator or PFL, and I’m like, ‘Hey guys, no one’s watching.’

“I mean, some people are watching. You’re getting a little bit of a fanbase. I don’t want to disrespect. But, there’s a reality. There’s the XFL and there’s the CFL, then there’s the fcking NFL. And if you’re not in the fcking NFL, are you really playing football?”

“If you’re the UFC champ, you’re the fcking man.” Rogan said. “If you’re the Bellator champ, I respect the sht out of those guys. I love them. Guys like Johnny Eblen. I really wish that guy would come to the UFC.”

“There’s this feeling of being in the UFC that everyone dreams of,” Rogan said. “You want Bruce Buffer right in front of you going, ‘It’s time!’ And you’re like, ‘Holy sh*t.’”

sure sure Joe

4 Likes

Pico has two fights left on his contract with Bellator. He is still only 27 and wants to fight the best in the world.

Really hope Pico makes the jump to UFC and leaves PFLlator after two fights.

If Pico wins his next couple PFLlator fights, I think he makes the jump to UFC.

4 Likes

Chandler is the best example. Spent a decade on top in Bellator. Became a bigger star in one UFC fight. Probably would have been a longtime star and multiple time champ had he spent that decade in the UFC.

9 Likes

I agree with him apart from the bruce fluffer part.
That old queen needs to go.

7 Likes

But this only applies to potential stars - AJ McKee, Aaron Pico, etc.

Someone like Johnny Eblen would probably be better off staying in PFL and going for the million dollars every year because he’s unlikely to turn into a draw in the UFC.

3 Likes

Eblen did just KO Leon’s brother but yeah, he is not as exciting as Pico or as versatile as McKee and PFLlator is probably the best place for him.

That UFC MW division is just stacked now.

I just had the wildest thought. Like, maybe they fight for money and paying bills and not just to “be the fkng man”?

10 Likes

Patricio Pitbull is the most decorated fighter in Bellator history and he had lots of exciting fights. Due to a career in Bellator, he has like 38k twitter followers. Chandler, who PItbull beat, was another exciting and successful Bellator fighter who now has 350K twitter followers because of his jump to the UFC.

That is the reality, highlighted by twitter metrics that Rogan is talking about.

Nickal’s pro debut got 3-4M views on Fight Pass before he was even on DWCS.

If that debut was on the Bellator prelims, maybe like 10k people would have seen it.

1 Like

Cute of Joe Rogan to assume what every fighter wants and that every single person should want to bow down to Dana to have a meaningful career in Joe Rogan’s eyes.

These guys must be absolutely devastated now that they’ve learned their careers don’t have that Joe Rogan stamp of approval.

Dark day friends, dark day…

PS - I might turn down UFC “glory” just to not have Buffer yelling in my face.

2 Likes

AJ McKee’s skills + Antonio McKee’s mouth = money, is what I’m thinking. I think he’d become one of the biggest stars there if he kept winning.

I think Pico would become a big name (within the UFC) but I’m not talking crossover/mainstream/sell a million PPVs or anything. Probably about Cejudo level.

Eblen would be a top fighter but just doesn’t have the intangibles to be a star.

This stuff doesn’t mean everything to everyone.

If your life goal is to be a fighter that’s huge on Twitter then yeah, go to the UFC.

I’m sure there are tons of guys happy to fight for decent money they wouldn’t make elsewhere and aren’t in it at for eyeballs and fame.

Not everyone is Conman McFelon, putting their entire life’s worth on how famous they are.

I say these things as a long standing Bellator teaser. If a guy is happy to be champ of Bellator fighting for thousands of people instead of millions and making solid money then that’s his prerogative. He does not need to change things to please Joe Rogan or amass Twitter followers.

2 Likes

AJ has great skills but in the UFC he is just another top 15 LW.

I think Pico could be a much bigger star than Cejudo. He has insane power and delivers big KO’s. Do Pico vs Yair in Mexico.

Of course. Everyone has different goals and priorities and of course UFC is not everything to everyone and neither is a certain among of money or fame.

The NFL is still the big dream for most football players and the UFC is it for MMA fighters.

Everyone has to do what is right for them whether they are in the position of say a Horiguchi, Magomedkerimov, Fitch, Ngannou, Chandler, Pitbull, Dodson, Tony, Ed Ruth or Nickal.

Its a complex and nuanced issue. Not one size fits all at all.

2 Likes

Stupid analogy by Rogan.

Imagine if Tom Brady left the NFL and started playing in the cfl?
Imagine if the cfl paid more than the NFL?

That’s exactly what happened when fighters left the ufc, Mighty Mouse and Francis.

It’s actually better to use the UFC as a stepping stone to get into boxing and make generational wealth with 1 mega fight.

4 Likes

He being a UFC shill pushing the Dana White narrative trying to convince guys they should accept any old bullshit treatment and terms because “facing the best!” is more important than anything else.

“Yeah you might get less here, but you’ll be facing the BEST! Think of your legacy! Plus if we actually like you and you kiss our asses enough we might pay you really good one day.”

1 Like

You need those other fight organizations though, and those companies need a handful of elite guys to get peoples attention.

It’s always nice to have other options as a fighter.

Wonder how he feels about Fedor now.