Rogan still believe UFC is "Swallowing" Boxing ?

TKO! Showtime Breaks PPV Revenue Record With Mayweather Vs. Canelo Fight
By DOMINIC PATTEN | Thursday September 19, 2013 @ 2:34pm PDTTags: boxing, Floyd Mayweather, Pay Per View, Showtime

The One has turned out to be No. 1. Floyd Mayweather’s victory over Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in Las Vegas on September 14 is now the highest-grossing pay-per-view event of all time. The Showtime presentation of the boxing match pulled in nearly $150 million in domestic PPV revenue. The still undefeated Mayweather’s win soundly beats the previous $136 million record set by his match-up against Oscar De La Hoya back on May 24, 2007. Going for around $70 a pop depending on providers, the preliminary results from distributors have the 12-round fight as having garnered 2.2 million PPV buys. The record remains the 2.48 million buys for the Mayweather and De la Hoya fight but that could change as final numbers come in over the next week or so. The previous second most purchased PPV was Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield’s June 28 1997 heavyweight championship ring battle that got 1.97 million and a chunk taken out of the latter’s ear by the former. In terms of actual live gate revenue, the September 14 has also taken the top spot with a little bit more that $20 million

2013 UFC PPV numbers

UFC 156 'Aldo vs. Edgar - 330k

UFC 157 'Rousey vs. Carmouche' - 450k

UFC 158 'GSP vs. Diaz' - 950k <----Dream Match, Diaz a Superstar. GSP a Superstar...Hence the big ppv #'s

UFC 159 'Jones vs. Sonnen' - 550k

UFC 160 'Cain vs. Bigfoot 2' - 380k <---This was a HW championship fight which is suppose to be the biggest fights of them all, and yet lowest ppv buyrate.  Pathetic UFC cant even promote a HW champion.....

UFC 161 'Henderson vs. Evans' - 180k

UFC 162 'Anderson vs. Weidman' - 550k

UFC 163 'Aldo vs. Korean Zombie' - 170k

We are toward the end of the year and these numbers are MUCH lower than the previous 5 years.  I know there is a rumor UFC is for sale which is probably untrue, but if the UFC is on the decline which it is, I can def see Zuffa cashing in on its popularity before it dies off like pro wrestling of 90's.

He's 36.

Boxing is not dead and will never be dead. 

1997 - "When Mike Tyson leaves Boxing, whos left?  Boxing will be DEAD"

2000 - "When RJJ & ODL leave boxing, who's left?  Boxing will be DEAD"

2013 - "When Mayweather & Pacquiao leave boxing, who's left?  Boxing will be DEAD"

This is probably the dumbest quote in the history of fan's opinion in combat sports.  There will ALWAYS be someone else.  Who?  None of us can see into the future, so we dont know whos after Floyd, but look at history.  No one thought anyone could replace Tyson in ppv, then RJJ and Oscar came along... Then no one thought they could be replaced, then Pac / Mayweather came along....  So of course there will be future champs.

And lets not even embarrass the UFC fan boys by pulling the American curtain down and revealing just how bigger Boxing is than UFC / MMA world wide.  In Europe , Klitschko bros pull in the MOST sick television numbers that Anderson vs. GSP vs. Bones couldn't even pull here in the States.  I know people from Germany and those countries in Europe and they've never heard of co-main events on a UFC card.  Ask a 'casual' sports fan overseas about David Haye or Klitschkos.  They are 1000x more popular and profitable than the UFC folks.

the problem i see is that there are always 1 or 2 boxers people will pay to watch. but there are lots more MMA fighters right now that people around me at least, will pay to watch.

tunaburn - the problem i see is that there are always 1 or 2 boxers people will pay to watch. but there are lots more MMA fighters right now that people around me at least, will pay to watch.

Now, the people 'around' you ..... Are they MMA guys ? 

Joe Rogan famous quote : "Your Sport is getting SWALLOWED by a more spectacular sport"

EatonBeever - 
tunaburn - the problem i see is that there are always 1 or 2 boxers people will pay to watch. but there are lots more MMA fighters right now that people around me at least, will pay to watch.

Now, the people 'around' you ..... Are they MMA guys ? 

The people around me are mostly into music not any sports. But the ones that are into sports like both. My dad is a huge boxing fan and i remember watching the tyson holyfield fight when i was young with him.

But if i ask him he can name somewhere around 5 boxers still currently boxing.

he does not watch MMA unless its on where he is. He usually asks me to text him the results as they happen. But he can name over 10 current MMA fighters.

I think its a growing sport still. Im not detracting from boxing. I like it. I watch it. But i do prefer watching MMA as im a grappler.

Boxing wont disappear. But it has had 100 years headstart on MMA. Give it time and itll even out.

Also i think MMA sells more buys per year than boxing if you add it all up.

Pitbull3744 - Boxing is dead, there is literally no one left. The only numbers they ever see is when Floyd and manny fights that literally it.

UFC does PPV after PPV and always does impressive numbers and it's only getting better and growing. Boxing isn't growing at all. There are no heavyweights left and they used to run the show.

I'm surprised in you silly boys! Phone Post 3.0

"No One Left" - really this is the absolute DUMBEST quote from any mma fan boy.    There is no crystal ball to predict whos the next big thing in boxing, but ali-tyson-oscar-jones-pac/mayweather . . history shows there is always going to be a next big thing.  Who knows...There may be a kid out there 16 years old that will completely demolish Floyd's record one day.  How do you know ?

I think UFC fan boys are blinded by the UFC ppv hype and title fights, that they really are not looking at the decline in ppv numbers.  Floyd / Canelo got 2.2 million... The last UFC to even break one million was UFC 116 - Brock Lesnar vs. Carwin.  That was three years ago.  I mean, come on.  Since Brock left , I can use the same comeback

"Without Brock, who's left in the UFC to generate 1 million buyrate ?  Not Anderson.  Not GSP.  Not Bones."

How many PPVs does boxing put on a yr?

How many free events on fox or any other network does boxing put on.

Does boxing get advertised during NFL games?

If the UFC put on 4 PPVs a yr they would all crack 2 million buys. Yes that is my own made up fact. Phone Post 3.0

it is a good point that if the UFC put on 4 PPV's a year and stacked the cards They could sell a LOT more buys. But then they wouldnt be growing the sport as fast as they are in terms of up and coming fighters.

Why do you hate zuffa so much? Which mma promotion do you like? Phone Post

Vaginal Tear - How many PPVs does boxing put on a yr?

If the UFC put on 4 PPVs a yr they would all crack 2 million buys. Yes that is my own made up fact. Phone Post 3.0

I agree. Just need frb to confirm and its true Phone Post

"if the UFC is on the decline, which it is..."

Stopped reading there.

If youre doing 12-14 PPVs a year, and averaging 400k buys...plus the increase is "free" events that fox is paying you millions of....

Nevermind. Fuck it. Live in delusion if you want. Phone Post

EatonBeever -

I think UFC fan boys are blinded by the UFC ppv hype and title fights, that they really are not looking at the decline in ppv numbers.  Floyd / Canelo got 2.2 million... The last UFC to even break one million was UFC 116 - Brock Lesnar vs. Carwin.  That was three years ago.  I mean, come on.  Since Brock left , I can use the same comeback

"Without Brock, who's left in the UFC to generate 1 million buyrate ?  Not Anderson.  Not GSP.  Not Bones."

How many events per year does boxing put on that do 300+k buys?

You are not really good at this whole math thing are you? Phone Post

I laugh at the people who say boxing is dead.

What the UFC wouldn't do to have one PPV even top 1 million again.

Vaginal Tear - How many PPVs does boxing put on a yr?

Boxing promotions don't whore themselves out and try to over expose their product.  They make the BIG fights at the right time.  Mayweather gave the fans the fight they wanted to see after not coming to terms with Pac and giving us undefeated beast Canelo.  This was a huge fight. 

Which UFC fights were on the level of Floyd / Canelo ?   Cotto / Floyd ?   Pac / Mosley ?   Mosley / FLoyd ?  Haye / Klitschko ? 

Only matches like GSP vs. Anderson.... Bones vs. Anderson.....  Fedor vs. Brock could have equal a mega boxing match that generates 1 million ppv buys, but Dana decides to match its marquee fighters against 'up and comers' every other month resulting in terrible fights, mismatches, stupid upsets due to bad judging...

Look at how UFC promoted Cain Velasquez:

Junior dos Santos

Bigfoot Silva

Junior dos Santos 2

Bigfoot SIlva 2

Junio dos Santos 3

I mean, come on.  Are people this blind by thinking UFC has a good product and puts on mega fights with its so called 'stars' ??

As a whole MMA is swallowing Boxing but Boxing will always be more relatable to the average person bc it's just punching, regardless of what type of punch, almost anyone can identity with gettin hit in the face, MMA is so much dynamic, it's gonna take a long long time for it to reach the heights that a big boxing match can reach. Big boxing matches are like the Super Bowl, a lot more people watch that have no idea what going on,it's a big event and people want to be part of its and it's somewhat relatable bc almost everyone has thrown a punch in their life. MMA is just unrelatable to the average person. It's on another level Phone Post 3.0