Rothwell as viable opponent for Cain?

Diego stole my name - Where the hell did this myth that Rothwell is some kind of super striker come from??

Kongo is a far better striker. Just because Cain got outclassed on the feet vs Kongo doesnt mean Rothwell is gonna tool him on the feet.

Fucking Roy Nelson went 3 rounds and in a lot of peoples eyes beat Rothwell in a fight that was almost all standup.

Rothwell is a tough durable guy with a lot of experience but little experience vs quality wrestlers. Mike Whitehead is the only one he fought and he lost

Actually I realise on the first page I listed Whitehead as a win for Rothwell, I was slightly inebriated last night and fudged that. My bad.

I don't think anyone has said that Rothwell is a super striker, the argument for Rothwell seems to mostly be well roundedness and experience. Cain probably won't be able to hold Ben Rothwell down for 3 rounds and even if so Ben isn't going to turtle up and do nothing like Kongo does.

SNewman: No one is hating on Cain. We just don't buy into the hype as he hasn't been that impressive to warrant being a contender and deserve talk of a title shot yet, nor being the next big thing, he's got a few years of developmental time before he'll reach the top. Although, I'm not sold on him having a jaw of iron, not saying it's glass, he has good recovery and composure. Dos Santos would have put his lights out in the same situation Kongo had him in.

Rothwell for sure will have an advantage in striking but if Cain can hold Rothwell down for entire fight, he'll win..

"Cain probably won't be able to hold Ben Rothwell down for 3 rounds and even if so Ben isn't going to turtle up and do nothing like Kongo does."

I dont think Cain needs to "hold him down" for 3 rounds. He can hang with Rothwell on the feet just fine. Roy Nelson did and he broke Bens nose and almost won the fight

Im willing to bet Cains striking is just slightly better than Roy Nelsons. Watch his fight with Stojnic who trains with Golden Glory

Rothwell is an experienced fighter who had a great manager (monte) who kept him away from HW D1 wrestlers most of his career.

I've seen the fight with Stojnic, nice you point out he trains with Golden Glory instead of his below average record of 5-3. He's more of a sparring partner than anything and he was such an impressive striker he's been cut from the UFC after 2 poor showings.

That's the best you can come up with as an indication of Cains good striking?

He sure looked like a competent striker against Kongo. Oh wait Kongo's the best striker in the whole UFC now and would probably win 7 consecutive K1 GP's since he beat CroCop. Amirite?

Cain didn't really impressively finish Denis, if I recall it was more of a mercy finish because Stojnic was eating so many answered shots and was cut.

Watching the Cain/Stojnic fight again now.

RD 1: Cain gets lit up by this Golden Glory striker with a physique not much different than Roy Nelson throwing bombs like he's in a pub fight with his chin up. Cain cops a few, clinches lands some knees. Nearly lands a nice headkick. Clinches, tries to take Stojnic down, can't. Lands a few nice knees and unloads whil Stojnic covers up. About halfway through the first round he breaks and starts back-pedalling throwing sloppy haymakers. Cain lands more knees to Stojnic, most of them blocked. Still can't take him down. Cain working on him like he's a punching bag, still can't take him down, landing more jabs, knees and leg kicks. Stojnic covering up and backpedalling, Cain's unloading and Stojnic is still standing, covering up and pushing Cain off like CroCop has been lately. Dominant performance by Cain.

RD:2 Stojnic comes out throwing more sloppy haymakers,throwing school yard like back fists now. Pulls a guillotine on Cain and drags him to the ground. Cain postures up, lands some shots, elbows. Stojnic trying to pull him down and defend. Takes a lot of unanswered shots, gives up his back, covering up to the side, turtles up and the ref stops it for not defending himself. Stojnic bounces up to his feet like nothing happened. I was mistaken on him being cut.

Joe Rogan comments it was a dominant performance but not impressive or spectacular. Cain even apologises for his showing.

"He sure looked like a competent striker against Kongo. Oh wait Kongo's the best striker in the whole UFC now and would probably win 7 consecutive K1 GP's since he beat CroCop. Amirite?"

Dont know how well he would do in K-1. I do know he would fucking murder Ben Rothwell on the feet though. The same guy who got outstruck by Roy Nelson and KTFO by Carlos Baretto? LOL!

LOL! that KO was like 6 years ago. It's not a really good indication of how things would go today, like saying Fedor nearly got KTFO by Fujita so his striking isn't that great, sometimes the better man gets caught.

Look I'm no big fan of Rothwell. Wasn't he the one that beat on that fat kid in some farce of a fight?

I understand a lot of the Cain loyalty comes from people from Arizona. I'm an Aussie I have no bias towards or against either, I'm just calling it how I see it.

Rothwell's advantage in striking is not something id classify as "real".

And Dos Santos hits harder than Kongo? Really? OK ill remember that.

newbyfan -  And Dos Santos hits harder than Kongo? Really? OK ill remember that.
Odd that you'd be so contrary since the actual results suggest Dos Santos does hit harder, at least the recents ones.

Rothwell is a very big challenge for Cain. It's a good fight. Cain isn't in the top two in the heavyweight picture yet so any fight against a game opponent is a good fight for him.

If he's as good as I and most people think he is, Cain will win and will get to fight a top ranked heavyweight next.

rothwells has a much more well rounded game than kongo, all kongo can do is strike, ben has been around awhille and i dont think that pathetic example of dominating GnP that cain showed against kongo will cut it. cain was rocked every time they were standing, then held dominate position working just enough not to get stood up. i dont think he can perform the same with a man of rothwells experiance. as i said last night im not saying cain will get destroyed but i think ben has a great addvantage couple that with betting lines having cain as a heavy favorite i will be placing a bet on ben for the first time.

ttt

newbyfan -  ttt

Yer stealin my threads glory Newbyfan

Id like to see the guys who say Ben isnt a good striker take one of his punches. lmfao!

Ive been lucky enough to see Ben fight from his first fights 10 yrs ago up till now. The guy has some serious ko power.

Sit on your couch and talk but real fighters know...Ben can put you out flat on your back and in convulsions.

TTT for BIG BEN!!

Barring a flash KO, Cain will destroy Rothwell.

This isn't about Rothwell being better than Kongo, it's about the UFC pulling Shane out of the fight vs. Cain to fight Brock.  Ben was the best guy they could find to fight on that card on relatively short notice that wasn't already commited to another fight, just fought, or injured.

I Like Turtles - LOL! that KO was like 6 years ago. It's not a really good indication of how things would go today, like saying Fedor nearly got KTFO by Fujita so his striking isn't that great, sometimes the better man gets caught.

Look I'm no big fan of Rothwell. Wasn't he the one that beat on that fat kid in some farce of a fight?

I understand a lot of the Cain loyalty comes from people from Arizona. I'm an Aussie I have no bias towards or against either, I'm just calling it how I see it.

Eh. How does that even make sense. Fedor didnt get KOd by Fujita. He recovered and took his head off with that choke. Rothwell got KTFO

And rather than argue how long it was the more important point is that Carlos Barreto is a grappler and Rothwell is the only KO on his record. Thats not very positive for someone who is mainly a striker

Add into the fact that Arlovski who sure as hell doesnt have the chin Cain does took plenty of shots from Rothwell without flinching. Add into the fact that Roy Nelson arguably outstruck him in a fight that did not happen 6 years ago but recently then yes i do have to question this myth that Rothwell is a bad ass striker. He has only fought one wrestler before and he lost.

Im not even from the US, let alone Arizona.

I simply see Cain being tough enough to hang with Rothwell on the feet. Rothwell so far is 0-1 against D1 wrestlers.

It is a good fight, an up and comer vs a veteran.

Fighter math is tough to master.