Royce Vs. Yoshida

it's kind of silly asking who will win between Royce Gracie and Yoshida on a Judo Form.

The bias is strong here.

"The bias is strong here."

Master of the obvious you are.

Still sore, eh?

Ben R.

Persnally, I think it could go either way. The previous fight was pretty much even up to the BS stoppage. Royce was doing what he does best, and Yoshida was doing what he does best on the ground, at least.

I think it will be a matter of who makes a big enough mistake first, and that the other guy can take advantage of it. The first match was playing out that way as well.

Another factor may be Royce's conditioning, but in two 10 minute rounds, that may not so important.

I'm a bit surprised that Royce didn't insist on a no time limit death match, but maybe Pride wouldn't go for it.

I won't get to watch the fight, hopefully someone will post clips.

Ben Reinhardt

I would've preferred Antonio Rogerio "Minotoro" Nogueira X Yoshida ... closer weight.

Royce, for all his experience/skills is giving up too much weight. I suspect it'll be similar to the first fight, without the ref stoppage. Yoshida knows how to and will use that weight advantage on the ground.

Royce deserves this rematch.

I hope it is a good fight, with no controversy, and a clear winner.

"I guess depending on how you look at it, you can never lose when you think this way...Because even in defeat you have been victorious over your own fear..."

Well said.

I hope Royce can show us more than we saw in their first fight. I look forward to hearing the outcome.

"If the ref can't stop the fight and Royce gets choked out, does Yoshida have to hold on until the dude's dead?"

Yes, IF he wants to be declared the winner.

Otherwise it will be considered a draw.

I remember thinking Royce would make him tap from that footlock, when it's inverted like that those things are powerful, other than that yoshida dominated completely.

"Still sore, eh?"

Sore over what Ben??????

It'll end up in a draw in probaly a boring fight. Yoshida will dominate in stand up/clinch and throw Royce (like he did Silva) and Royce will be a better stiker (never thought I would say that, plus, Yoshida survived Silva's strikes and Royce's are nowhere comparable) and the ground. Royce had a "dead" guard for reasons only known to him in their first fight and will come out more aggressively on the ground this time around but I don't think he will submit Yoshida, who will defend properly.

Yoshida by KO uppercut.

Ben was right that this fight could go either way. Both of these guys have lots of skill. I must say that, although I'm a judo guy, I don't like Yoshida.

I saw his first fight with Royce several times, and I don't believe there's any way he could have thought he was choking Royce. I have it on tape and have watched it numerous times, and he just didn't have anything.

I never think I'm choking someone when I'm not, you can tell easily when you don't have it sunk properly, and since Yoshida is probably about a million times better grappler than me, I don't see how he could have thought so either.

Subsequently, since I can only conclude that Yoshida was lying, I'm rooting for Royce on this one, but like any fight, it could go either way.

By the way, someone above said that sport Judo was a submission game. I have to disagree. With ground-time so limited, sport Judo is a throwing contest with submissions allowed, but they're not really a big enough part of the contest to call Judo a submission game, in my opinion. That's like calling Muay Thai a throwing game because they allow throws. Submissions are a small part of the sport Judo game, but the focus is obviously on throwing.

All that said, I'm really looking forward to Royce-Yoshida II. And Ben, according to Royce on the UG, two 10-minute rounds was all that they could get Yoshida to agree to, although he wanted no time limit.

Mark

"All that said, I'm really looking forward to Royce-Yoshida II. And Ben, according to Royce on the UG, two 10-minute rounds was all that they could get Yoshida to agree to, although he wanted no time limit.

Mark"

Thanks for the info, Mark.

Ben R.

Royce's best chance to win was the first match. Now he is going against the same fighter but with more experience and more time for conditioning/preperation.

Pure Helio Gracie jj = an exercise in survival. How can anyone call surviving a victory, or even a draw?

"there is in fact no such thing as Gracie jiu jitsu"

Well said.

Chokemasta said:

"no, i provide in-depth no-bulshit analysis of fights wthout letting my bias cloud my judgement unlike you who is a Gracie nutrider blinded by the fact that they actually do judo and sambo and there is in fact no such thing as Gracie jiu jitsu. "

Since Judo and Sambo techniques were all originally taken from traditional japanese jujutsu, is there no such thing as Judo or Sambo either? I've also read that jujutsu techniques didn't originate in Japan, although I haven't studied that, so I can't say for sure. If that's true, I guess there's no such thing as jujutsu either. I never understood this silly argument. There's got to be something better to talk about.

"Royce went to Yoshida's dojo the next day and challenged him to a fight with no rules."

There's no place for that kind of macho angry stuff in judo (bjj).

Royce's judo guard you mean.

"Okay, wait. What if Royce gets knocked out, then what happens? The ref can't stop the fight, is Yoshida supposed to just keep hitting him?"

Hmmm...if I were Yoshida, I'd call it a day and go get a beer.

Omar,

Where did you hear the Royce went to Yoshi's dojo the next day? Where there other Gracies with him?

Pete