Royce Vs. Yoshida

Mark308 wrote,

"I don't understand what you're saying Judoguy? You expect fighters to try to stand up when their opponent is hovering over them and stick their head into a guaranteed big shot (maybe even a KO) from their opponent, just because you paid to watch?"

Not what I meant, but I guess I wasn't clear. Buttscooting is ok, if the fighter has gotten himself into trouble when engaging a fighter who has stood up from the ground, or is rocked, slipped or failed in trying to engage an opponent.

Any guy who walks into the ring with the INTENTION of buttscooting or jumping to guard doesn't deserve my money. Promoters and fans seem to agree with me when you consider who the fan favorites are.

If a guy isn't willing to step into the ring and fight why should I pay to see him? Doesn't make any sense to me.

The fights start standing. If you want to transistion it to the ground, it should be from striking, takedown, or throw. Hanging on to a guy like a tempermental 3 year old, or just falling to the ground and refusing to engage standing doesn't constitute quality fight entertainment to me. Call it a personality quirk of mine.

As for Yoshida being a liar. Yeah, I can see why he must have wanted to lie about it. He was obviously in trouble. He must have been so afraid of the precarious position he was in at the time.

"He said that Judo is just a sport,while bjj is for the street (self defense) and that this match wasnt about bjj vs judo because he has already proven Jiu-Jitsu superior....He also said Yoshida was liar and that he should "fuck off". "

Pathetic. I hope he loses.

trash talk is exactly that, trash..i would expect a lot of this stuff prior to a fight...

as far as the gracies go, all i know is the written historical accounts and the lack of correctness in the origins of their art, however, some recent books seem to get closer to the source

judo guy, I understood what you were articulating from jump. It was concise and clear to me and should have been to everyone else also.;

"But Quincy, you don't expect anyone to really believe you wanted Royce to win do you? That was pretty funny."

I actually did before I realized he was just like the others. He always came off as one of the clearer headed of his peers, and that was why I respected him. It is a sad day for me indeed. Pissed on by a hero.

Q, where did you read this and where/when was it stated? just curious,

wayland

"where did you read this and where/when was it stated?"

I read it on a mma tabloid news site, and I would have considered the source, but the author is Royce's relative and his comments where confirmed by his manager.

well, if it is true, and it sounds like it just may be, i can see why the upset...just goes to point out that he and many others take judo for granted and don't have a true appreciation for the merits of talents like yoshida and those soon to follow..

by the way, i was chatting with billy thompson at the ontario open and i was asking about you and the club since he has gone a few times, he said you guys were/are a class act and i should check it out some time..i have known billy a long time and have gone on some tournaments with him as part of the team both in north america and abroad...just thought i would let you know..

More fuel for the fire: http://www.sherdog.com/interviews/gracie_royce_02/gracie_01.htm

Mike Sloan: Speaking of your fights, when you last fought in PRIDE, what exactly happened? I never saw you tap, but the ref thought you did and stopped the fight. In your words, what happened there?

Royce Gracie: Judo people like to, how do you say..., they like to play the referees, like cheat, let's say. They-... I don't want to say 'cheat' because that's not the right word, but they like to play the referees. If the referee bought it, hey, the referee bought it. So what the guy did was he covered my face, covered my eyes, looked at the ref and said, 'Ref, he's out!' The ref bought it. He never gave me a chance. He never walked around to see. It was the referee's mistake. He wasn't in position and it was a mistake. We put in the contract that the referee was not allowed to stop the fight. We put that in the contract, so he breached the contract right there. So, he put it over my face, played to the ref and the referee never bothered to walk around and my people stood on the apron on the other side.

"Q, where did you read this and where/when was it stated? just curious"

This was from an article that Luke Beston wrote for FightSport. Anyway, the UG thread is at http://www.mma.tv/TUF/DisplayMessages.cfm?TID=337085&P=123&FID=1&c=1

http://www.fightsport.com/fsport/jsp/index.jsp

Fightsport.com journalist Luke Beston was live at the Royce Gracie press conference in California. Luke reports the following exclusively to Fightsport.com:

"I just got back from the press conference. Actually it was a long string of interviews from Japanese printed media and television. I was the only representative of the western media I saw. Feel free to write this up or edit it how you like.

Royce was asked a lot about his feelings about the screw-job when he last fought in Japan. He called Yoshida a liar, and said he is going to torture him in this fight. He is in excellent condition, citing that his pulse can drop 60 beats in one minute of resting. When asked what he thought about Yoshida saying he was a whiner, Royce said Yoshida can 'Fuck off' to the Japanese television crew.

Royce will be accompanied to Japan by a number of his brothers and cousins to Japan. His father Grandmaster Helio said he would love to go and support Royce, but has said he will never return to Japan after what appened with Royces last fight.

Royce was questioned about the BJJ and Jiudo rivalry, and said that he likes Jiudo, has trained Jiudo as a kid, but this has nothing to do with Jiudo, it's personal between him and Yoshida. When questioned about the difference between Jiudo and BJJ, Royce clarified that Judo is a sport, and BJJ is for the street. He said he even used to be a fan of Yoshida's from his Gold Medal, but now had no respect for him. He said this fight is not about whether BJJ or Jiudo was best, he had already proven BJJ is superior. He
asked for Yoshida to try and do three (real) fights in one night." -Luke Beston

Royce used to be my hero. NOw I hope he loses.

Luca can't even spell Judo. How the fuck did that tool become a journalist?

I think he purposely mispronounces it "jiudo" just to piss off judoka.

Quincey slight correction

""However, I don't think that Yoshida is going to be able to finish Royce either, as Royce is very tough to GNP or submit."

I dont think Yoshida can tap Royce either, no one has. Royce fights with Samarai spirit..I think he would rather die than admit defeat..I guess depending on how you look at it, you can never lose when you think this way...Because even in defeat you have been victorious over your own fear... "

Technically speaking Royce was choked out against Wallid (although he didn't tap and passed out).

so let me get this straight, if yoshi get's a choke early in a round, is he supposed to hold it till the round ends, like 8 full minutes, because there is no ref?

yeah, got him with a clock choke...but he didnt tap.

correct

"I dont think Yoshida can tap Royce either, no one has."

Is the Neil Adams story about tapping Royce credible? I heard it was during a seminar though and not a challenge.

tap out, pass out, knock out, get broken, corner throw in towel, all ends the match. I say Yoshida ends the match prior to the final bell.