Running MMA Show in MN?

All things in blue are changes I submitted to the state for rules and regs to be adopted.

Good ideas - all of which have been proposed - But there is zero interest in establishing anything in MN with the State.
They are more likely to ban the sport.

I have approached many city councils - and therte is NO reason an Private Commishion won't work. Yes the people running it would have an stake - and personally I think they should have one. They still have to follow the rules.

IL recognizes two sanctioning bodies - both are private.

We are carried insurance on all our players in grappling tournaments, shoot fights - etc. So I agree it should be - could be done. As for Blood Tests - this would add a lot - not just money, but admin. time.

It would be great to see things cleaned up, professional and uniform. But take into account all factors.

But if they don't follow the rules, then what? There is noone with authority to stop promoters from breaking the rules time and again. This will only work on a state level.

Sure you can - The State demands all fights be sanctioned by "The MN Combat Sports Assoc." which is a privately run body.
Just like Il.

lol, well good luck with that. I suppose Illinois has no athletic commission, if so what department of the Gov't is in charge of it. Who has the authority to shut these shows down? Who pays the lawyers when someone gets sued?

ILLINOIS BOXING COMMISSION

100 WEST RANDOLPH, SUITE 9-300

CHICAGO, IL 60601

(312) 814-2721 OFFICE

(312) 814-3145 FAX

ATTN: JOEL CAMPUZANO (708) 694-7194 PAGER, (312) 814-2729 PRIVATE jcampuzano@ildpr.com 

RON PUCCILLO, Director of Boxing, 312/814-4875,      rpuccillo@ildpr.com

HOME PAGE: http://www.ildpr.com/WHO/athltc.asp 

You see an athletic commission can allow that, Minnesota dont have one. I could be wrong but I think you could put more thought into this.

I doubt a state is going to appoint responsibility to an unproven private body with no history, leaving the state liable for any injury or death because they approved of a private body to regulate a dangerous activity in a state with no one overlooking over them.

Like I said I could be wrong, but its thin ice.

Reilly:

I happen to agree with you. You definately have to right idea about forming a commission. I wish we would have done that in ND. The ND AC encouraged us to start a private MMA commission, but we did not. And now look where we are.

It is important to do. I understand that now. I would love to be a part of that and help in any way. Let me know if I can be of service to you.

The only reason Minnesota would ever reestablish the boxing commission
and regulate MMA would be to tax the shit out of it as another revenue
stream for the state.

Government regulation of MMA in this state is a very very bad idea

The only reason MN will reestablish the boxing commission is because they are making it so No boxing can take place in MN.

North Dakota and other states like Colorado and Iowa regulate MN boxing right now. New laws and changes to regulations are making it hard for other bodies to come in from out of state. Insurance is the major issue.

Minnesota will reestablish its commission or they will lose boxing all together at some point.

Ms. Ottem, one Commissioner out of 9 does not mean the the ND AC encouraged you to start a private MMA commission.

Look where we are now?...................................lol. I'd hate to be in your shoes also. You people who think they are above regulation will learn your place sooner or later.

You should run towords regulation like the UFC did, not away from it. That is how you will secure our sport, make it grow and allow fighters to get what they deserve.

Chris:

It was 4 commissioners out of 9 that encouraged us to form a commission. My post was directed to Mike Reilly. I know what your thoughts are. I don't need your input.

lol, whatever.

Right before we got the senate to to reverse their ban on MMA, YOU tried to keep the ban in effect with this...................

Dear Senator,

I beg of you to vote NO on SB 2356.

If SB 2356 is passed, the following types of tournaments will
be outlawed in the state of ND until an advisory board is in place:
1. Tae Kwon Do
2. Karate
3. other martial arts
4. wrestling

All of these will fit the criteria of a "Mixed Fighting Style
Competition" as defined in SB 2356.  They all have the following
in common.
1. They are advertised
2. They have an admission charge of any type (usually $2 - $5) 
3. Participants inflict kicks, blows, etc.

SB 2356 has been changed twice and is poorly written as it stands now.
The suporters of the bill have been too concerned with allowing
professional "Mixed Fighting Styles" and have not looked at the overall
picture.  I do realize that the Honorable Alvin A. Jaeger is a supporter
of this bill, but I do not think he has thought about all of the martial
arts and high school/college wrestling tournaments in the state of ND. 
I also don't believe the Secretary of State's office should have
the authority to regulate all of these things.

I am a fan and promoter of "Mixed Fighting Style Competitions".
I want to see this sport grow in ND as well.  But because this bill
is poorly written, and will affect *EVERY* martial arts and wrestling
tournament in the state, I must ask that you vote no.

I apologize for the tardiness of this letter.  I have been following
the bill status, and did not imediately notice that it had been
changed again.

--
Kris Ottem           701-866-0332
President KO/JAG Promotions
ottem@krisottem.com

This letter that you wrote would have effectivly banned MMA in ND. Because of the Athletic Commission and the Secretary of State, we now can create rules and regs to make our sport legitimate in ND.

Ms. Ottem, go screw up someone elses state.

TTT

If we had a Govt body that wanted to work with us - that would be one thing. But we don't.
MN does not want a boxing of sports commish that will over see things.

I really do not think you understand how this would work and I don't see much point in explianing it further save for this.

The State can have the final say - but letting them run things or depending on others is just stupid. People who are running shows all know what needs to be done. We don't need Govt - We just need to come together as a unified force. But that won't happen either.

TTT
GOOD POST

I'd definately like to see us all come together without Government input. We "can" do it, but the question is will we do it?!

And the answer is "no"

ttt

This needed to be TTT.

lol