Saenchai Breakdown: The Technical Genius

No vote ups left :'( sorry!  

LawrenceKenshin -
Duke Roufus - Saenchai is the man! Jocky Gym is his original camp that has produced some great fighters.

I trained with a few of their trainers for 2 years. Excellent experience for me!

Anthony Pettis loved Sanchai hence the cartwheel kick Phone Post 3.0

Both Saenchai and Anthony Pettis are one of a kind! Pettis is super creative and dangerous at so many ranges and angles. 

Your fighters are so lucky to have you as a coach, and you do such an amazing job commentating for Glory. Sometimes listening to your enthusiasm about the fights and what they're doing is as fun as the fight itself. 

Thank You too kind! Phone Post 3.0

in Phone Post 3.0

Duke Roufus - 
LawrenceKenshin -
Duke Roufus - Saenchai is the man! Jocky Gym is his original camp that has produced some great fighters.

I trained with a few of their trainers for 2 years. Excellent experience for me!

Both Saenchai and Anthony Pettis are one of a kind! Pettis is super creative and dangerous at so many ranges and angles. 

Your fighters are so lucky to have you as a coach, and you do such an amazing job commentating for Glory. Sometimes listening to your enthusiasm about the fights and what they're doing is as fun as the fight itself. 

Would've wrote an essay about how you're the man, but then I'd sound like a crazy person! You're definitely my favorite striking coach! 

Trick or Truth - 
LawrenceKenshin - 
Trick or Truth - 

Excellent breakdown! Voted up for your trouble. 

I would love to see a breadown on Tyrone Spong or Junior Dos Santos striking :)

Hey bud, I got like... 6 breakdowns of Tyrone Spong =). 

5 were with collaboration with GLORY, you can find a few on the channel! 

Oh shit! I didn't even check...voted up again!!!!! I'll check them out tomorrow :) Do Jose Aldo or JDS you absolute BOSS ;) 

Hope you like it man! Hopefully I'll get a chance to analyze JDS / Aldo soon.

LawrenceKenshin -
Duke Roufus - 
LawrenceKenshin -

Would've wrote an essay about how you're the man, but then I'd sound like a crazy person! You're definitely my favorite striking coach! 

Thanks! No worries I am the biggest striking nerd around.

I love the videos! Phone Post 3.0

I have been watching your Tyrone breakdowns...it makes me appreciate his abilities even more, such a shame about the recent leg break. I have always loved watching excellent strikers and I will be honest I was naively unaware of the amount of small details that separates good strikers from great strikers. I hope to see more videos soon and especially your take on JDS/Aldo! You're awesome :)

tiger07 - Fantastic vid. As a southpaw, I've learnt a lot from it. Cheers, OP.

Totally missed this post! My bad, glad you found it helpful man. 

Duke Roufus - 
LawrenceKenshin -
Duke Roufus - 
LawrenceKenshin -

Thanks! No worries I am the biggest striking nerd around.

I love the videos! Phone Post 3.0

You made my day Mr. Roufus! Very meaningful to me!!

Trick or Truth - 

I have been watching your Tyrone breakdowns...it makes me appreciate his abilities even more, such a shame about the recent leg break. I have always loved watching excellent strikers and I will be honest I was naively unaware of the amount of small details that separates good strikers from great strikers. I hope to see more videos soon and especially your take on JDS/Aldo! You're awesome :)

Shame indeed. The details are subtle and easy to miss, but it's always there amongst the greats. Their brilliance lies in how they create order in chaos. 

Their ability to demand order is what makes them elite! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjqwNUGGiaM

Was rewatching the Buakaw/Imada fight in the SCup (Shootboxing). Imada is not an elite wrestler and got Buakaw once in an arm throw but Buakaw handles Imada otherwise in the clinch.

I think someone who is taller and leaner and has that front foot up for the teep like Buakaw would still have some significant changes to make for MMA hypothetically but its always interesting to see the Thai clinch against wrestling or judo for example.

It would have been awesome to have seen Randy vs Wand in their primes for a great MMA example of Greco vs Thai clinch. We did see Hendo vs Anderson with both guys having moments in the clinch but of course there is so much else going on with the striking out of the clinch too.

As a judo guy, its been very interesting to me to see how the Thais use the clinch. Im sure its evolved around the rules and thus you see great sasae tsurikomi ashi type spinning movements from the up right clinch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcHeUgOXCzc

Buakaw always threw guys around to the floor in K1 with the sasae type spinning trips.

Wasa-B - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjqwNUGGiaM

Was rewatching the Buakaw/Imada fight in the SCup (Shootboxing). Imada is not an elite wrestler and got Buakaw once in an arm throw but Buakaw handles Imada otherwise in the clinch.

I think someone who is taller and leaner and has that front foot up for the teep like Buakaw would still have some significant changes to make for MMA hypothetically but its always interesting to see the Thai clinch against wrestling or judo for example.

It would have been awesome to have seen Randy vs Wand in their primes for a great MMA example of Greco vs Thai clinch. We did see Hendo vs Anderson with both guys having moments in the clinch but of course there is so much else going on with the striking out of the clinch too.

As a judo guy, its been very interesting to me to see how the Thais use the clinch. Im sure its evolved around the rules and thus you see great sasae tsurikomi ashi type spinning movements from the up right clinch.

Did you post in the wrong thread?? =P 

There's definitely overlaps and transferable skills, but a lot does require change. I do believe that being light on the lead leg is a tough transition. I think Barao and Aldo are rather good "textbook" representatives of Muay Thai adapting to MMA. 

Pettis too, in combination with his Taekwondo background -- so many tricks and he's able to threaten with a lot of them. Check out Joanne Calderwood -- a top European Thai fighter that is undefeated in MMA -- soon to compete for the straw-weight belt on TUF. She's done quite well in the clinch against some wrestlers. 

Wasa-B - Buakaw always threw guys around to the floor in K1 with the sasae type spinning trips.

I'm looking back at the Zambidis fight -- loved the tosses Buakaw did to Zambidis. Complete dominance in clinch.

I also did a breakdown of that bout!

LawrenceKenshin - 

There's definitely overlaps and transferable skills, but a lot does require change. I do believe that being light on the lead leg is a tough transition. I think Barao and Aldo are rather good "textbook" representatives of Muay Thai adapting to MMA. 

Pettis too, in combination with his Taekwondo background -- so many tricks and he's able to threaten with a lot of them. Check out Joanne Calderwood -- a top European Thai fighter that is undefeated in MMA -- soon to compete for the straw-weight belt on TUF. She's done quite well in the clinch against some wrestlers. 

True, Aldo does have that lead leg up MT style but perhaps since he always trained KB for MMA (?), he never had the transition that many pro KB/MT guys would. Plus Aldo as well as Barao are very athletic. Barao has a more MMA freestyle style imo than Aldo.

I think the TKD style has elements that may lend to MMA in terms of footwork or longer range covering kinda like point karate leaping of Machida.

SOmeone on the Buakaw thread said that Buakaw is like CC and Zambidis too weak for MMA and that posture like that of Buakaw can be changed. Sure and Buakaw does look dam strong in the clinch with good balance but I think CC didnt really change his style much for MMA - he was a range coverer like a Machida. I think Buakaw would have to make major changes.
I think Zambidis was too small and has to be a big reason why he was getting handled by Buakaw in the clinch. Of course, im not sure how much Zambidis trained in the clinch but i do think his overall KB style would lend itself well to MMA striking. That he is a short stocky guy could also lend to good sprawls too. Im sure he could make 145 (or could have in his prime years).

I would like to see how Saenchai would do againt wrestlers and judokas in the clinch in MMA.

Just watching that Saenchai breakdown again, im not sure if it covers his clinch and believe he is renown for it (?) and hardly a striking expert but at a high level, i see his style as more MMA friendly than Buakaw's.

Wasa-B - Just watching that Saenchai breakdown again, im not sure if it covers his clinch and believe he is renown for it (?) and hardly a striking expert but at a high level, i see his style as more MMA friendly than Buakaw's.

Saenchai is known for all areas in his game. Clinching with him is one of the only ways to contain him, but yes he is famous for his tosses. 

Wasa-B - 
LawrenceKenshin - 

True, Aldo does have that lead leg up MT style but perhaps since he always trained KB for MMA (?), he never had the transition that many pro KB/MT guys would. Plus Aldo as well as Barao are very athletic. Barao has a more MMA freestyle style imo than Aldo.

I think the TKD style has elements that may lend to MMA in terms of footwork or longer range covering kinda like point karate leaping of Machida.

SOmeone on the Buakaw thread said that Buakaw is like CC and Zambidis too weak for MMA and that posture like that of Buakaw can be changed. Sure and Buakaw does look dam strong in the clinch with good balance but I think CC didnt really change his style much for MMA - he was a range coverer like a Machida. I think Buakaw would have to make major changes.
I think Zambidis was too small and has to be a big reason why he was getting handled by Buakaw in the clinch. Of course, im not sure how much Zambidis trained in the clinch but i do think his overall KB style would lend itself well to MMA striking. That he is a short stocky guy could also lend to good sprawls too. Im sure he could make 145 (or could have in his prime years).

I would like to see how Saenchai would do againt wrestlers and judokas in the clinch in MMA.

TKD can certainly help. Though you need a really legit coach like Duke Roufus (Pettis brothers), or to transition early like Cung Le, Anderson Silva, etc. 

There's a relationship between wrestlers and their ability to throw overhands (it's mechanically similar to changing levels for a takedown). I'm not sure if the inverse can be true for defensive wrestling -- but perhaps Zambidis could -- never really know unless you see it in action.

Using the Wanderlei example (some similarities to Zambidis but ZB is obviously a hell of a lot more refined), if I remember correctly, Wanderlei had a hell of an anti-wrestling game at his prime. 

LawrenceKenshin - 
Hello again UG! This is yet another southpaw vs. orthodox breakdown due to popular request. Saenchai is a fan-favorite, and probably the 2nd most famous Thai Boxer behind Buakaw. He's highly regarded -- many consider him the greatest active Thai fighter. Hope you guys enjoy the breakdown!

Great job on the remix Lawrence. Here is the original.