Sakuraba could have been all-time greatest

i might get chewed up for this but i think sak just didn't want to improve later on his career. of course injuries were a big part of it, but i think after beating mma legends, he just didn't think the new cream of the crop were that big of a match for him.

take a look at this pic before the arona match and tell me he didn't think much of arona, and arona was a beast back then and made him pay: http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/4/d/4d6f0-saku_buff.jpg

yes, fun was always sak's demeanor, but if he had applied himself in the later years i believe he would have ufc success.

WrestlingSucks - the guy took out the gracie family and stole ricksons aura. he also willingly fought wand back when it was a death sentence. three times

i could never agree with your chosen screen name sir, but your post here is very good. 39 4 prez.
TRANE WRESTLING!

Who gives a shit about GOAT? Stupid title to give any fighter. Sak was undeniably one of the greats, and that's all that matters when talking about his legacy. If someone doesn't understand why, then i feel bad for them because they are missing out. The feeling of watching sak fight back in his heyday is incomparable.

sak is the greatest of all time.. prime for prime.. he was.

the best run ever.. and with such style, humility and grace.

not one of.. HE IS

EVILYOSHIDA - sak is the greatest of all time.. prime for prime.. he was.

not one of.. HE IS

Who did he beat in this unbelievable run that puts him at goat status. I guarantee you that I can list a more impressive 12 fight win streak. Phone Post

Slydawg -
UGCTT_zackthewop - 
The Elastic Assassin - Slydog just mongolian chopped all the haters into bolivion Phone Post

Except all he did was talk more of how saku was a spectacle which nobody is denying.

He was an enigma and an amazing fighter but in order to be the goat you need to have consistently beat the best fighters in the world and he didn't. He did some awesome things and I'm aware of those things I'm just a realist. Phone Post

Those "Best Fighters" with a few exceptions took time off and fought matches not to lose When Sak fought matches to win them. Sak put his performance as a priority and not his career. He fought so many times when no organization outside of Japan would have passed him in a physical. He could have taken time off and helped his longevity, won more matches but he was a warrior and never quit.

And he did beat many of the "best fighters". He was 12-0 at one time. He fought open weight class at a time when it was more difficult than previous years. He had the option to choose no knees on the ground when he was outweighed 22+ lbs. And he always chose to allow the bigger guys to use knees. He is the only fighter that did that.

god i wish I had more time to chat about this and tell the details. I'm afraid if I start it will take too much of my time. Maybe in a few weeks, I'm too busy now.

When was he 12-0? Phone Post

UGCTT_zackthewop -
EVILYOSHIDA - sak is the greatest of all time.. prime for prime.. he was.

not one of.. HE IS

Who did he beat in this unbelievable run that puts him at goat status. I guarantee you that I can list a more impressive 12 fight win streak. Phone Post

Sorry I got yours and slydogs post mixed up.

Either way show me is his most impressive run and I will show you two that are more impressive. Phone Post

All I know is that when he was in his prime, it was a fun sport that was awesome to watch. Now, not so much

_33 - In my mind Sak IS #1.

He slayed the Gracie's. I don't care what he has become. I know what he was.

This Phone Post

WuDaddy - 

This Phone Post

most legit fans place him at #1.. or at least top 3 of all time.

EVILYOSHIDA -
WuDaddy - 

This Phone Post

most legit fans place him at #1.. or at least top 3 of all time.

Most nuthuggers maybe

No way he is above fedor, Anderson, Henderson, wand, gsp, or even frank shamrock. Phone Post

He is the greatest at being an insanely game fighter. Phone Post

sub

nowaydo - I still think he's #1.

All. Time. Phone Post

divinity - 

Saku, Fedor, Wand

The goats Phone Post

greatest sub wrestler of all time. His timing on single legs and GNP to sub setups are still unmatched. He would tap GSP, imo.

the goat rankings only exist so nerds can argue semantics on forums. sak is a legend and the reason many people still cared about mma during his prime. his gracie fights were the most important and epic fights ever at the time.

let gsp fight crocop in his prime like sakuraba did. how many guys would fight wand three times back then?

Couldn't help but think that he pissed someone in the Yakuza off when they put him against Manhoef... That was heartbreaking to watch.

Saku will remain my #1 favorite fighter for all of eternity