Sanctioning of MMA in Michigan

OK, now about those New Jersey rules....the older lady who sat at Mr. Low's right said that those rules had many issues. I forgot the word she used, but she stated that for instance, New Jersey doesn't charge money for what I thought she said was the fighter licenses or promoter licenses. I cannot remember. This brought them to another HUGE issue for the MI Boxing Commission. They are losing a lot of money each and every year. They don't make money or break even. They have to find ways if they are going to sanction MMA, to make more money so that they aren't in deeper than they already are. Currently, they make money from the fighter license fees, promoter license fees, and fines handed down to fighters who violate rules (such as dirty drug tests). Also, the lady said that there were some serious flaws with the proposed "draft" of legislation for MMA in Michigan which was based on the New Jersey rules. Another thing that they said is that there could be another "commission" formed to handle MMA and they aren't against that. It's all about the lack of money though. It makes more sense most likely to just keep it under the boxing commission (according to them), but they really said that they don't really mind either way.

The lobbyists when done then asked if there were any questions that they could answer. An older gentleman then stated something to the effect of "I know that there have been deaths in MMA. How many have there been?" The guys said that they weren't sure. I was a bit flabbergasted at that. Come on, that's the biggest stereotype out there and they didn't hit that softball that was lobbed at them. I wanted them to smash that one out of the park. They were asked if they had a sponsor for legislation. They did and it is Barbara Farrah (Dem) from Southgate. They also stated that there will be many more and were very confident about that. The boxing commission stated that there would need to be legislation introduced so that MMA would not violate state boxing laws.

Joe Byrd then said that he supports MMA and thinks it would be really good for the state of Michigan. He said that with everyone else outside of Michigan supporting it, Michigan should embrace it as well and share in the success. It was really cool to see that a dyed in the wool boxing guy would be so supportive of MMA here. He said, "It makes no sense to have Indiana and Ohio doing it and Michigan not be a part of it." He reiterated that it would be good for Michigan.

After they were done, he asked if anyone else had anything to say regarding MMA. I raised my hand and he was told that he could hear me if he so chose. He said that he had no problem with it.

TTT

Thanks annil. You're comments to the Board sounded well thought out and accurate.

I'd be interested to hear how this progresses.

Loretta Hunt
The Fight Network
loretta@thefightnetwork.com

Loretta, I will keep you posted after the meeting I have prior to the hearing.

Everyone, so you are thinking that I should ask to be "in" on the money situation? I know that those lobbyists are getting paid, but....really? I should be paid?

Oh, one bit thing that I did forget to leave out is that I talked of the Underground! I told them that I am a dedicated fan and that I represent a large following on a web forum called the Underground that is all for sanctioned MMA.

ttt

ttt

MICHIGAN BOXING REGULATORY ACT (EXCERPT)

Act 403 of 2004

338.3612 Applicability of act; exceptions.

Sec. 12.

This act does not apply to any of the following:

(a) Professional or amateur wrestling.

(b) Amateur martial arts sports or activities.

(c) Contests or exhibitions conducted by or participated in exclusively by an agency of the United States government or by a school, college, or university or an organization composed exclusively of those entities if each participant is an amateur.

(d) Amateur boxing regulated by the amateur sports act of 1978, 36 USC 371.

(e) Boxing elimination contests regulated by section 50.

History: 2004, Act 403, Eff. Feb. 20, 2005

© 2007 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

The Michigan Boxing Commission does not at this time have authority over MMA and as amateur competetion it is not illeagal.