Saul "Canelo" Alvarez Will Be the New Delahoya

grkblood - 

These types of comparisons are the type that get falsely made time and time again. When I say that I mean that the original assumption by the OP is that DLH was some huge Mexican star and the question was whether or not Canelo will ever meet his greatness/popularity.

In reality Canelo is a bigger star now in Mexico than DLH ever was. DLH was American born and he beat the shit out of Chavez, because of these two factors he was never a big draw in Mexico. People just think he was because he's Mexican-American.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone or start an argument, I'm just pointing out that this happens a lot. Non-Mexicans seem to look at DLH as some huge Mexican star, but its completely false.

I took it as meaning DLH was a mainsteam star beyond boxing, nothing to do with who Mexican fans like. Kelly Pavlik is as white as a Ghost and HBO wanted him as the next DLH. When he drank himself out of the running Irishman Andy Lee was supposed to be the next one and then he imploded. Next DLH is what promoters want with a handsome guy who gets in scrappy fights so men and women both care to watch him fight.

Bobby Lupo - 
grkblood - 

These types of comparisons are the type that get falsely made time and time again. When I say that I mean that the original assumption by the OP is that DLH was some huge Mexican star and the question was whether or not Canelo will ever meet his greatness/popularity.

In reality Canelo is a bigger star now in Mexico than DLH ever was. DLH was American born and he beat the shit out of Chavez, because of these two factors he was never a big draw in Mexico. People just think he was because he's Mexican-American.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone or start an argument, I'm just pointing out that this happens a lot. Non-Mexicans seem to look at DLH as some huge Mexican star, but its completely false.

I took it as meaning DLH was a mainsteam star beyond boxing, nothing to do with who Mexican fans like. Kelly Pavlik is as white as a Ghost and HBO wanted him as the next DLH. When he drank himself out of the running Irishman Andy Lee was supposed to be the next one and then he imploded. Next DLH is what promoters want with a handsome guy who gets in scrappy fights so men and women both care to watch him fight.

That is a possibility but I find it unlikely that its a mere coincidence that both men are of Mexican descent. There's a reason that DLH was chosen for the comparison and it's not just because he was a star, thats my opinion atleast.

Again, not trying to pick a fight or anything. I'm just saying it's a mistake that a LOT of people make.

Canelo Alvarez is young, patient and hits moderately hard, Margarito tries to impose his will with pressure. The two have similar styles but different approach, As Alvarez is a little more patient, though his defense is lacking, he isn't completely deficient in it, Alvarez can move around the ring and cut it off efficiently.

Mosley's reflexes are shot, he looked terrible against Vargas the first time, took 12 rounds to dismantle the crude slugger Mayorga,and was never in the Pacquiao fight. If he waits till May, he will have been out of the ring for a year. If Cotto gets by Margarito, He is far more a live body than Shane Mosley. all that aside Cotto is a welterweight who has little incentive to move up to 154.

the winner of Cotto-Margo is the perfect fight for Canelo...the fans were chanting for JCCjr after his fight Saturday though...that fight wont happen unless Ginger moves up to MW, which wont happen anytime soon..

canelo is good, and he is only 21 but for him to call out mayweather when he has not even faced a elite level fighter in his division is a crock of crap. CLean out your division first and then call out mayweather. He would look stupid anyways against Mayweather but watch, I bet money that it will happen, given the fact they both prett much have the same promoter and given floyd has a may 5th date already and canelo being a mexican ginger, he will sell alot of PPV's in mexico.

ramit upper -
Salokcin69 - 
ramit upper -
irishrottie - 
ramit upper -  He`s decent but he`s no Delahoya..

Say what you like about Oscar but he fought everyone & never faced a fighter with a losing record.

Alvarez has fought 39 bums & Ryan Rhodes.

He might be successful at MW but he`d get smashed at SMW.

he is 21
I realise that but my point is there simply won`t be enough big fights in the LMW & MW divisions for him to get anywhere close to Oscars legacy. 

I don't even follow boxing, but just based on logic, how could you possibly ever know this? Are you psychic? What are the winning lotto numbers, by the way? Phone Post
I suppose technically I could be wrong....but if the LMW & MW divisions over the next 15 or so years produce fighters of the same quality as Whitaker,Chavez(snr),Mayweather,Pacquiao,Hopkins,Trinidad & Mosely then i`ll shit in my hand & eat it.

Then IN for results. Phone Post

stop_it_right_meow -  canelo is good, and he is only 21 but for him to call out mayweather when he has not even faced a elite level fighter in his division is a crock of crap. CLean out your division first and then call out mayweather. He would look stupid anyways against Mayweather but watch, I bet money that it will happen, given the fact they both prett much have the same promoter and given floyd has a may 5th date already and canelo being a mexican ginger, he will sell alot of PPV's in mexico.

Roger said it wont happen...Oscar wouldn't put Canelo in there with Floyd, that's his golden ticket....everyone and their mother is calling out Floyd

eSpeciallyDesigned - Saul Alvarez does coke and dresses drag? This is becoming an epidemic in boxing.

Lol it looks like it Phone Post

haha Phone Post

lueng jon -. If Cotto gets by Margarito, He is far more a live body than Shane Mosley. all that aside Cotto is a welterweight who has little incentive to move up to 154.
cotto holds a 154lb belt, this is his 3rd fight at 154.