School owners - please tell me your costs of owner

A question for the OP, that IMO will matter a good deal more than the costs of overhead, is what do you intend to charge for monthly fees for training? I would also pose the same question to anyone else on the thread who cares to answer it.

stlnl2 - A question for the OP, that IMO will matter a good deal more than the costs of overhead, is what do you intend to charge for monthly fees for training? I would also pose the same question to anyone else on the thread who cares to answer it.
Good question, matters a large deal. We charge 129 a month Phone Post 3.0

I'm a brown belt and I started a club very much like Tap21's place. Really really low overhead. I started the club to get more mat time and have a crop of people close to home (it was 1 mile from my house). The place I went to was about 40min drive from me and coupled w/ my day job and family, I couldn't make it in but 2x a month and I didn't want to jump ship to a different school.

Ran it a few months and got sick of people complaining about 30 dollar fee. I would've even had put up w/ that except there were a few folks that had promised to hook up w/ me and be there. Guys who lived nearby or close enough to where I'd have some color belts there to train with and have a good mat presence for new folks. They always had an excuse not to show.

I said fuck this and started training at a place closer to home. Best decision I made. I wasn't in it for money either. I would've taken the hit every month for a while but I kind of needed people to show up. There were plenty of nights I just showed up and did fuck all cuz nobody was there.

yes, you read that right. 30 dollars a month for 5x a week unlimited with a brown belt. <br /><br />

I literally laughed AT some guy who complained how he couldn't muster the 30 dollars/month. This guy had trained at a different school prior so he knew the deal w/ what prices typically were. <br /><br />

And friends bailing was the last straw. I get it, everyone's busy, but don't tell me you'll be there and push me to drop money and start something and then bail...

it's a blessing though because I'm much happier where I'm at, so it's good that it didn't work out.

Mike Wazowski - yes, you read that right. 30 dollars a month for 5x a week unlimited with a brown belt. <br /><br />

I literally laughed AT some guy who complained how he couldn't muster the 30 dollars/month. This guy had trained at a different school prior so he knew the deal w/ what prices typically were. <br /><br />

And friends bailing was the last straw. I get it, everyone's busy, but don't tell me you'll be there and push me to drop money and start something and then bail...

it's a blessing though because I'm much happier where I'm at, so it's good that it didn't work out.

i absolutely hate when people say they will do something and then dont do it, especially when they dont even have the courtesy to let you know ahead of time. if you say you are going to do something or be somewhere be a man and live up to your word. I am glad things worked out for you and you are at a place you wanna be at.

stlnl2 - A question for the OP, that IMO will matter a good deal more than the costs of overhead, is what do you intend to charge for monthly fees for training? I would also pose the same question to anyone else on the thread who cares to answer it.
For people signing up before we get our own spot, $75 bucks. Grandfathered in at that price. Probably $125 afterwards. Phone Post 3.0

Mike Wazowski - yes, you read that right. 30 dollars a month for 5x a week unlimited with a brown belt. <br /><br />

I'm glad you mentioned this.

Prior to my other posts on this thread, I was simply going to respond by saying that the greatest cost of being a bjj owner is giving your heart and soul to your students and having them take advantage or be ingracious.

When I first opened up my academy, I offered my closer friends and relatives (my ex wive's siblings) free training, as I wanted training partners and an audience to teach to.

With these handful of people, one of two things occurred: They didnt train at all, even though they said they would; or, they trained all the time, and when I told them it was only fair if they start paying because I was getting regular students that were paying (after letting them train 6+ months for free), they balked at having to pay, and havent been back.

Honestly, I'm probably more annoyed at my close friends (and relatives) that said they would come and train (for free) and never showed up. It is depressing when you have your own school, prepare for classes like crazy, and barely anyone shows up. I know everyone is busy, but it would have meant the world to me if I had consistent attendance from my closest friends when I first started.

Then, you have the students where you put your heart and soul into their well being and they end up quitting without telling you, or go to another gym. I still believe people have the right to change gyms, but now I understand more and more why old school Brazilians hated the idea of a Creonte so much.

For example, I have an open door 24/7 policy for my students. If they are interested in training outside of class times, they are able to (they all have access to a front door key). I also have an unwritten policy, where if you can't afford to train, I will let you keep training- maybe at a reduced rate, maybe for free, etc.

I did this for one of my best students (I've only been opened for 2 years now, and he was one of my blue belts). He was getting married, money was tight- I told him to train for free until he could pay again.

He ended up only showing up at open mats, and when I told him I would prefer him come to class (so he could help others, and be a good training partner for my heavier guys as he was heavier too), he balked and hasnt been back since.

(I just saw him at a local tournament compete- he had nobody in his corner, so I stayed after the rest of my students left to help corner him...without thanks or anything from him)

Just when you think it is a thankless job, you have beginners, and other friends that are truly thankful for what you are doing. They totally appreciate what you do, and offer to pay even more than what you ask. While that is also an amazing feeling, it makes you wonder sometimes if the heartache and effort is worth it...especially knowing that you could just be enjoying training at a couple of nearby schools in town.

Lastly, I adopted the stance that I would not have contracts (on my website I offer special pricing for 3 month commitment, but I give the person the same rate anyways)...

At any given time, I will have 20% of my students decide not to train for the month (and not pay me of course) and then come back a month or twoo later to train.

How important do you guys think it is to become an affiliate of some of the Large names in BJJ? example: Graice's, Graice Barra, Caio Terra, 10th planet, etc.....

Mike Wazowski - I'm a brown belt and I started a club very much like Tap21's place. Really really low overhead. I started the club to get more mat time and have a crop of people close to home (it was 1 mile from my house). The place I went to was about 40min drive from me and coupled w/ my day job and family, I couldn't make it in but 2x a month and I didn't want to jump ship to a different school.

Ran it a few months and got sick of people complaining about 30 dollar fee. I would've even had put up w/ that except there were a few folks that had promised to hook up w/ me and be there. Guys who lived nearby or close enough to where I'd have some color belts there to train with and have a good mat presence for new folks. They always had an excuse not to show.

I said fuck this and started training at a place closer to home. Best decision I made. I wasn't in it for money either. I would've taken the hit every month for a while but I kind of needed people to show up. There were plenty of nights I just showed up and did fuck all cuz nobody was there.

Let me tell you something, the same guy who "can't afford" 100-130/month will also never be able to afford 60,50, or 30 per month.

Something I learned the hard way, training is worth a certain amount, overhead plays no role in value of training. Charge a higher price, and you get more people and more people stay. It seems counter intuitive, but it is the truth.

For you guys with no contracts who want to hit a target number of students, start using contracts. You need not make them mandatory, but make month to month fees painful. Encourage longer term commitments.

John love - How important do you guys think it is to become an affiliate of some of the Large names in BJJ? example: Graice's, Graice Barra, Caio Terra, 10th planet, etc.....

To have a school and to get students, it is almost a non factor (provided instructor is a black belt) but it is very good for the instructors (black belts) to have someone they can still learn from, develop, and ask questions.

kying418 - Lastly, I adopted the stance that I would not have contracts (on my website I offer special pricing for 3 month commitment, but I give the person the same rate anyways)...

At any given time, I will have 20% of my students decide not to train for the month (and not pay me of course) and then come back a month or twoo later to train.

You need to rethink this. Not necessarily mandatory contracts, but you need them somewhere, you are committed to students, right? Should they not be committed to you?

stlnl2 - 
John love - How important do you guys think it is to become an affiliate of some of the Large names in BJJ? example: Graice's, Graice Barra, Caio Terra, 10th planet, etc.....

To have a school and to get students, it is almost a non factor (provided instructor is a black belt) but it is very good for the instructors (black belts) to have someone they can still learn from, develop, and ask questions.

My experience is consistent with this. I am constantly amazed what a high percentage of our prospective students don't know anything at all about grappling and have never heard any of those names.

Tap21 - 
stlnl2 - 

My experience is consistent with this. I am constantly amazed what a high percentage of our prospective students don't know anything at all about grappling and have never heard any of those names.

If you have decent marketing and web site, at least half the people coming to check you out will not know BJJ from judo or karate. They have a general martial arts interest, and want to see if what you do is for them.

stlnl2 - 

I speak from experience when I say avoid most all those major affiliations like the plague

stlnl2 -
Mike Wazowski - I'm a brown belt and I started a club very much like Tap21's place. Really really low overhead. I started the club to get more mat time and have a crop of people close to home (it was 1 mile from my house). The place I went to was about 40min drive from me and coupled w/ my day job and family, I couldn't make it in but 2x a month and I didn't want to jump ship to a different school.

Let me tell you something, the same guy who "can't afford" 100-130/month will also never be able to afford 60,50, or 30 per month.

Something I learned the hard way, training is worth a certain amount, overhead plays no role in value of training. Charge a higher price, and you get more people and more people stay. It seems counter intuitive, but it is the truth.

For you guys with no contracts who want to hit a target number of students, start using contracts. You need not make them mandatory, but make month to month fees painful. Encourage longer term commitments.
This Phone Post 3.0

FaceToFace - 
stlnl2 - 

I speak from experience when I say avoid most all those major affiliations like the plague

Heh I didnt want to say that, as I have a connection to a few other black belts to train with who are very skilled and keep me moving up. I do not know most black belts situations, or the value of most of those affiliations past the obvious benefits (someone for a black belt to go to for his questions).

FaceToFace - 
stlnl2 - 

We are not a part of any affiliation, so I haven't had any experience with it.

What are the main problems you have seen with affiliations?

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

I agree with shorter term contracts. 6 months are good, you are making a commitment to students they should do the same to you.

I really don't negotiate monthly price, Its not fair to other students, besides somethign irks me about people who negotiate about price too much. I'm more willingly to be flexible with someone who I think might be a good addition to the gym and can bring something like work ethic, good attitude, willing to learn, funny, etc.

Put a value on you're knowledge, time, experience, because thats what you will be passing on to students.