Scott Epstein beats Useless again

"useless, you lost, show some class you crybaby. Waaa waaaaa I had this I had that, you LOST."

LOL bro I am FAR from a cry baby, Epstein is my boy and i gave him his congrats after the match. I was just stating how I felt about the match.

this is how the match went from what i remember

1st- man thing that i remember is him having me in a gilotine and than an armbar at the end of the first round. he also amost passed my guard but i recoved. i know he won this round.

2nd- I swpet him with like 2 kimuars, had a sraight armbar than i took his back off it, than i mounted him off that and that I hit him with a traingle just as the round ended.

3rd- round, we were both tired so we kinda took a break but the main things that happened in this round was that he took me down to side control, i recorved. than he jumped guard he went for an omoplata and i passed off of it but than he recorved, and i took hi down a like 5 seconds before the round ended. so pretty even round.

i felt with how much i was ahead in the 2nd round and how close the 3rd round was that i think i did enough to win the match.

scott is my boy, so i dont mind losing to him. i just wanted to know why the judges gave it to him so the next time i do another one of those tournies i know what the judges look for.

Good post Uly, sounds like he took the majority of rounds. What is the scoring system?

CRE- no worries

And to be honest this is a pretty douchy post by Bravo, prickly emo fag.

"sounds like he took the majority of rounds."

he took the first, i took the second, who took the 3rd?

and would the 2nd count as a 10-8 round?

Whatever Hollywood-Mo, what a "subjetive judging system" ensures is this whinning and complainning after like we're already seeing here...

I dont think anyone is whining.  Uly feels he did enough to edge out a victory over Scottie.  If Uly would have been awarded the decision, Scottie would have felt the same.  I'm not trying to be a "middle" man, but I can honestly see both of their POV.  The reason why they both felt they did enough is because of how much they hustled in the ring. 

Once you put the point system in place, people will strategize by stalling out a clock to win by a point.  If a football team is up by 3 points with 2 minutes to go, they are going to down the ball and run out the clock.  They are'nt going to keep pushing the pace and risk a loss.  The same can be said for basketball or any number of sports.  When you have a subjective judging system, neither competitor is certain if they are up or down on the scorecard, so they will both push to ensure a victory.  That is exactly what happened in this match, and it turned out to be an awesome match for the competitors, and especially anyone who is a fan of grappling. 

Even in objective bjj tournaments, we have people complaining that they didn't get awarded sweep points, or take down points because of a "Brazilian" ref, or any number of reasons.  You will never completely take that element out of the game.  It is natural for competitors to feel slighted in close calls.  There are so many tournaments out there that all have the same format, same scoring system, same $80 registration fee to get a chance to win a $5 medal.  Everyone who competed is well aware of the unique rules, prizes and judging of Nevertap.  And even with that said, it is still in need of big readjustments!

If anyone feels any elements of the tournament need to be changed, please contact ccastro@nevertap.com
Tell them what you want changed.  If it wasn't for the competitors, none of these organizations would be afloat, so let them know.

way to turn a "congrats epstein" thread into a "waaah i should've won" thread . . . if you're upset about the decision, then next time you should try not losing

It always sucks to have a rubber match decided on an opinion. And that is what this was. An opinion. Since there was no submission and there was no scoring system. Sounds like a helluva match though.

What we need is a bootleg video posted on youtube and linked here. PRONTO!

I had the match 2 rounds to 1 for Useless but it was close and I can see how the judges could give it to Epstein.

Congrats to both competitors.

Yes, congrats, Scoobie Einstein.

Both these little dudes are impressive submission grapplers. Someone post the video, per favore.

Uly, thanks for the response. You are well respected at 20th Planet.

Congrats to my boy Epstein. I haven't been around much, but I am very
proud.

congrats to epstein.

and respect to useless. we all know how good you really are.

congrats to Useless...

can we see a video?

''Once you put the point system in place, people will strategize by stalling out a clock to win by a point. If a football team is up by 3 points with 2 minutes to go, they are going to down the ball and run out the clock. They are'nt going to keep pushing the pace and risk a loss.''

what about a point system based on submission attempts?

or something like guard passing 1 point legit submission point 5 points?

then you have the argument of whether it was a legit submission point scored, if the guy was really in trouble or not....

anyway you try to figure it there will always be people contesting it.

If it is a good match then thats the beauty of it.... the next is just that much more exciting.

Exactly. You are going to have people contesting all kinds of calls. Its natural, especially for a competitors coach to argue in favor of his guy. I had coaches complaining to me that their guy was not taken down, and simply pulling gaurd. In reality, their opponent shot in a double, and they could not sprawl because the shot was so deep, so they jumped guard. It was clearly a take down, but you can always try to claim that you were pulling guard.

But isn't that what you are doing when you make a decision like this one? The referee is basing his decision on something, right? Was he looking for the guy who was the most aggressive, had the best positions, or was he looking at the guy who had the most submission attempts, and how legitimate those submission attempts were?

Useless got robbed. In a pride fight, he gets the decision no doubt.

The referee is basing his decision on something, right? Was he looking for the guy who was the most aggressive, had the best positions, or was he looking at the guy who had the most submission attempts, and how legitimate those submission attempts were?

The referee just makes sure that the competitors are safe.  Three separate judges score the fight.  The decision was split.  Positioning, aggressiveness, and submission attempts are all factored in to the judging.  One thing that should be made clear is that only viable submission attempts are factored in.  This means that the competitor had to be in danger of being submitted.  Throwing up a lazy triangle and getting your guard passed is not a viable submission attempt.  Although that didn't happen in this match.  To my recollection, all the submissions in this match were viable.  This match was just really competitive, and a toss up as far as decisions go.