Sean Sherk would be LW champion today and in the top three at WW

Lol @ a sport bjj guy beating someone like Anderson Silva in an MMA fight

3 Likes

Evolution bro. Anderson would be toast and UFC Brazil’s Vitor Belfort could never handle a decent brown belt in 2024 MMA.

1 Like

Decent sport bjj *. That worm guard is terrifying !

1 Like

This, god tier

5 Likes

And that list doesn’t even include Shields, Hendricks, or Condit.

For funsies, contrast this with the current WW division. Leon, Belal, Shavkat, Gilbert, Colby, Sean Brady, Stephen Thompson, Geoff Neal, Vicente Luque, and Ian Machado Garry.

Now do the same for BJ’s LW division vs. the current LW division. It’s just as telling.

2 Likes

It’s been 10 years bro

I’ve thought a lot about the “florian not being physically gifted” thing over the years. Trained at his hym in boston/brookline for a bit and agree with that position, but he was also a force in the ufc for a long time and played Division 1 soccer at Boston College. I think we’re all crazy for not thinking he has physical gifts

Compared to people like Sherk, not average joes. If Florian had Sherk’s physical gifts, he’d probably be a GOAT candidate.

my favourite career Ken Flo highlights like many is when he did the play by play for the kimbo Ganon fight here

1 Like

Wasn’t much of a play by play.The cell phones were turned off.

He was good fighter but he was a manlet even by the standards of back then nevermind now where LWs are basically WWs and WWs are basically MWs.

If you could get him to 145 or lower I could see him being top 5 level.

1 Like

I think the evolution is mostly seen in depth. A lot of top level fighters from back in the day would still be top level fighters today, but the drop off when you get to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th tier seems to be less pronounced. We talk about watered down cards etc now but imagine the UFC trying to do 40+ cards a year with the talent pool we had 20 years ago.

1 Like

I think you might be right, although I wonder how the picture changes when we include non-UFC fighters into the conversation? Gomi, Sakurai, Kawajiri, Hellboy Hansen, Aoki, JZ, Sato, Genki, Kid Yamamoto, Giblert Melendez, Javier Vazquez, Benson Henderson. There was a ton of depth at LW, for example, split across several promotions for quite awhile, before it seems like the UFC managed to consolidate everyone.

And cell phones didn’t even have internet back then.

But U get what I mean,
It was the first published play by play

Edit to the commentating here by Goldy is awesome. Blows today’s garbage out of the water.

4 Likes

Sherk never stood a chance

1 Like

Peak Mario Yamasaki being one of the worst refs ever. :joy: BJ literally had to tell him Sherk was done.

kenflo

Nov '04

Looks like fight is on mats/ring. Camera info, not sure.

Cell phones of my buddies are turned off, fight is most likely underway.

2 Likes

Sherk’s wrestling was that of an above-average high school wrestler and he was not that strong. On the ground, BJ felt a lot stronger than Sherk. Even Koscheck felt noticeably stronger than Sherk (but he was only 2-3 years out of college when I rolled w/ him).

1 Like

I totally messed up reading your post.