See any value in point karate?

Serious question. I keep thinking that the stand up being what it is in MMA, why not pursue something that will allow you to get in a couple hits, close distance, and work from the clinch? I don't think you would use this kind of sideways stance but the spirit of it seems right.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IB-UAAg9wo

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nqbAfzrg-E //www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_HTecminY

It's supposed to teach you to pay attention. It also teaches tai sabaki.

You can see more of that first vid searching "karate point sparring." "Karate kumite" yields more of what i think would be useful. One or two strikes and then boom gaps closed.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oQ5ROZC4Yc

It has worked for Micheal Page so far.

This is pretty good. I mean it just isolates the stand up but seems to ahow promise for MMA - punch kick close throw boom.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwfZfFmUYCc

sillyscreenname - It has worked for Micheal Page so far.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrY8JKrp3g

everyones sort of gotten used to the traditional muai thai wrestling bjj tripod that is mma you have to have something special or different now if you want to do well. Pettis has his taekwondo rhonda has her judo as does lombard machida has his karate alpha male have their bang ludwig styled mma specific striking. Just as long as it isn't akido or ninjitsu add what you can to your game

Well, hang on, now, Jason Delucia was an aikido guy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_DeLucia

Ogami Itto - Well, hang on, now, Jason Delucia was an aikido guy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_DeLucia

thought he was mostly kung fu
still didn't help his liver when bas demolished it

Heh!

StrikingMMA - It has some value but as a tool mixed in with other training. It can help you with timimg, distance, footwork and reflexes.

I think distance mgmt in karate is a big thing esp since mma distance is further out than boxing, kb, mt, wrestling etc

Wasa-B - 
StrikingMMA - It has some value but as a tool mixed in with other training. It can help you with timimg, distance, footwork and reflexes.

I think distance mgmt in karate is a big thing esp since mma distance is further out than boxing, kb, mt, wrestling etc

This, 100%.

I firmly believe Boxing and Muay Thai should be the base of MMA striking, but understanding the rhythm of this style would only help becoming a better fighter.

GSP always attributted his takedowns to the karate style blitz. I think a combination of points fighting with Muay Thai and boxing is one of the best combinations.

Michael Page is a great example of British freestyle kickboxing. He was ace on the points and continuous circuits, you can see how his distancing and timing is way above his current competition.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTiJ7A1DLV0&rel=0

I bought the Glover hype - 

Crane kick

OSU!

Ninja Lee - 

GSP always attributted his takedowns to the karate style blitz. I think a combination of points fighting with Muay Thai and boxing is one of the best combinations.

Michael Page is a great example of British freestyle kickboxing. He was ace on the points and continuous circuits, you can see how his distancing and timing is way above his current competition.

But, you know, it seems to me that many or most of the karate schools are combining their curriculum with boxing anyway and producing the "kickboxing" hybrid that we know today.

I'm not convinced boxing is the best stand up for MMA. What is the jab getting MMA fighters? What the hook? And how is it the best base for protection from the takedown?

I dunno, I'm not an expert.

I'll add the only thing I don't like is that sideways stance and the probing, jabbing with the side kick.

btw some old skool point fighting

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_aqlRDWvc

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJlMi4R6eQU

Add power to precision like MVP and you're onto something. Phone Post 3.0

This one is better...

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n5v_7ZNgiY