self defense art for judoka

what sd art would you suggest will complement judo?
jujutsu? combat sambo? krav maga?

LOL! Nice try.

How about Judo?

Ben Reinhardt

Good answer, good answer!

I was fortunate enough to use an Osoto on a guy one time. He happened to have a carmex container in his pocket. He walked off holding his butt. One of my finer moments.

judo is nicely complimented with just about any arts, boxing would work greatly, especially for clinch work..but ben is correct, if you study all aspects of judo and many of the goshin stuff, it will help nicely

The ww2 combatives based off of Judo. :)

signaljammer has chin-jabbed the correct. Fairbairn/Applegate/O'Neill etc.

Cheers,

Will

Rugby and Hockey are the two greatest self defense methods.

hell yea.. a slapshot to the knee will hurt like nothing else.

-resnick

sweater over the jersey!!!!

ask some of those jujitsu guys at your school for some stand up stuff.. like closing the distance and simpler type takedowns.. and just basic groundwork..

Jasco,

An important question to ask is: "What do you feel you are not getting from Judo". I am not a Judoka but work out with some. Seems to me Judo is an great form of self defense unto itself. Not that there is anything wrong with cross-training - I actually think it is a good idea once someone has a solid foundation in one art.

Just curious about what prompted the original question.

Steve

"What do you feel you are not getting from Judo"

Ripped off

Wasted Time

Pussified technique

the list goes on and on:)

I'd also add greco. Learn how to adapt your upper body grip if he doesn't have something sturdy like a gi.

"I'd also add greco. Learn how to adapt your upper body grip if he doesn't have something sturdy like a gi. "

Seems kind of redundant to learn Greco if you are good at Judo.

Ben R.

"..Seems kind of redundant to learn Greco if you are good at Judo..."

Er..not really. It's all in the grips, and Greco uses some gripping that Judo doesn't because of the gi. Not really a different art, I guess that it would be more like an 'exploration' of no-gi fighting.

For a good complement I think that boxing certainly fills the bill well (as long as you spar with intent).

Nothing is complete without weapons, though. Some type of FMA like kali/arnis is a must.

Boxing is good stuff. It'll get you used to punches flying at you and you pick up on how to clinch with an opponent who is intent on striking you.

With that being said, don't most self-defense situations start off almost at gripping range? I don't mean a "fight" where two guys mutually agree to step outside and settle things. I mean a situation where one guy gets in your face and demands something. Aren't these situations usually initiated with the other guy grabbing you as a sort of intimidation attack? Well, if he can grab you, you can grab him.

Someone mentioned WW2 combatives, specifically the FAS (Fairbairne-Applegate-Sykes) stuff and the O'Neill. This is good, crash course material. Nothing fancy. Nothing "unbeatable". But good, meat and potatoes stuff that can be taught and learned quickly (which was its original intent).

Wow I didn't know there were other guys interested in ww2 combatives here! That's so awesome.

It's definantly not as slick as say keeping up with a boxing gym would be, or taking a whole nother martial art.

But if you want to learn how to pack a wollop until you get close enough to use your judo, without taking up too much free time, it's definantly good stuff.

edge of hand, hammer fist, palm strikes, elbows, knees, low line kicks.

Which are also good things to use to dirty up your judo.

Knee 'em in the balls before o uchi gari.

palm strike to the chin with o soto gari.

"..Seems kind of redundant to learn Greco if you are good at Judo..."

Er..not really. It's all in the grips, and Greco uses some gripping that Judo doesn't because of the gi."

For self defense purposes, it probably wouldn't matter that much. For mma or subwrestling, I would strongly agree.

"Not really a different art, I guess that it would be more like an 'exploration' of no-gi fighting."

It's a different art, but I agree with the second part of your statement.

Ben Reinhardt

boxing baby boxing. great stuff for the streets footwork,head movement,powerfull and explosive strikes add judo and your one bad mutha...im new to judo but i have been boxing off and on for some 12 yrs woudnt trade it in for ANY other striking art.

boxing? why punch somebody when you can throw them on their neck? just close the distance, grab them, and then toss them on their neck.

once on the ground choke them out. i mean out cold. that way when they wake up they have to come to terms with the fact that you held their life in your hands and they are alive only because you let them live.

if you attack their arm they won't realize their mortality.