Serious Judo Newaza vs BJJ groundwork?

Now this is based on my layman's view, I have no background in Judo, and know next to nothing about it.

After viewing, as one example, the Olympic Judo Trials, and seeing that one girl destroy her opponent with some sick ass newaza. Or seeing some youtube clips floating around of swain. It seems some of the details of a Judoka's application of armbars is different (a bjj biased guy might think/believe "less-efficient")from bjjers.

What are the reasons for the differences? Is it based solely on tradition and the way the techniques have been taught over the years. Does it have to do with competition and the rules, point system etc.? Or is it a case that everyone eventually learns over the years, there is no "one" correct way, but many variations that can all be considered correct?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Over 17 THOUSAND posts and you are asking this question?? I guess we'll see who bites...

Just in case youre for real. Limited tiem to groundwork means limited setups. You have to get the job done as fast as you can. If BJJers only had 10 secs on the ground to sub someone, their newaza would look pretty close...

Great ne-waza guys can be very one-dimension in that they build everything off a reaction to a throw.

Have him go up against someone where he has to show more skills than just one or two specialty submissions and they would lose.

In judo, you don't have time to really grapple. You either get a quick submission or you don't.

"In judo, you really dont have time to grapple. You either get a quick submission or you don't"

No offense, but that is really not accurate b/c you can win the match just by pinning him for tweny-five seconds i think. less if you are already on the board.

bottom line: pinning = winning in judo...pinning = stalling in bjj...

John Turner - "In judo, you really dont have time to grapple. You either get a quick submission or you don't"

No offense, but that is really not accurate b/c you can win the match just by pinning him for tweny-five seconds i think. less if you are already on the board.

bottom line: pinning = winning in judo...pinning = stalling in bjj...

thasts why the cloke choke is used alot in judo guys turtle to prevent the pin.

also judo guys will be able to catch a sub easier because a guy will try really hard to not get pinned and leave himself open where a bjj guy will sit on the bottom and defend until given the right opening to escape.

A large portion of the difference is emphasis in training. Some BBJ schools only train in newaza.

Judo trains way more to explosive finishs on the ground as there is less time.

LOFL!!!!!

Ok, I'm going to go ahead and get trolled, even though I've already called the thread, but that line is freakin' hilarious!  I can't tell you how many times I've seen judo guys (yes, at judo tournaments) gassing out BADLY and just laying on the ground because they can't handle the pace.  Explosive up top maybe, but.....

waits for Faixa Rua to show up and educate his frens as to the difference

It is mainly because of the rules.

You have limited time on the ground so you can't do elaborate setups, everything has to be fast and furious or you get stood up. There is no reason to go for a sub if you already have the pin. Throwing can finish a match. Giving up the back in judo is not as big a deal as it is in bjj, if you can stall long enough you will be saved by the ref.

faixa rua - serious judo newaza hurt you you blue belt faggot gf2000 what kind faggot thread this you make?

cock faggot, u want me clock choke u gain!? porra

LOL! Faixa Rua does not disappoint.

There's a 59 yr old 6th Dan judoka who was on the Croatian national team who comes to our academy regularly.

He gives the 1st degree BB head coach a serious challenge in rolling and easily handles just about everybody else. His pins are brutal - if you let him get two good grips from the knees it's OVER.

Worst thing is he insists on wearing a white belt to BJJ class.

There is a judoka here who was on the Puerto Rican team and was an olympian. He has some good variations on some moves and is VERY good on the ground.

Judo newaza has had a tremendous effect on my BJJ. BJJ has had a tremendous effect on my Judo newaza.

The BJJ guys are also a helluva lot nicer about beating your ass than the newaza guys are. Those Judo bastards are just sadists.

Brazilian jiu-jitsu techniques are a whole lot rougher than judo's, pal, and if you think you know better, then maybe I gotta reeducate you a little; lock my arms and legs around you and just start screwing my hard-on into your hips, dude, tying you down and feeling you up and choking you out all once -

That quote needs to be put on a ban list.

The best judo can be watched at the Olympics(8/8/08). You will see the best BB at this international setting and decide for yourself what BJJ world champions could hang with these guys.