Serious question about krons

checkuroil -

When you are a blue belt, that means very little.  Taking off the black belt giving to you means a lot.  It's similar to a demotion

also, shouldn't it be easy to know who the visitors are? They are the guys who you have never seen before 

beyond that, it was stated by toddy that it had to do with not knowing krons style of bjj.  It's not just to mark that you are a visitor.  You don't get to wear your non striped belt if you sign up that day. You have to learn their technique to get to wear a regular belt again. 

Is that not a demotion? 

To add on, buchecha didn't have to wear one.  Wasn't he a visitor who didn't know their style of teaching?  

It is is quite obvious it is more about people not mistaking you for a student of krons than it is to identify who to help.  When a new purple belt materializes in your gym, you as the professor don't need a belt to know that you didn't promote him to blue and purple.  

Honestly I don't get the belt thing. If you are completely new to the gym I assume if you are about to roll the guy will say something or just roll.

I don't get why you would be expected to have a special belt. It just seems freaken stupid to me.

I find belts funny things in general and this is just another example of why I think they are a bit stupid.

Steve_73 -
checkuroil -

When you are a blue belt, that means very little.  Taking off the black belt giving to you means a lot.  It's similar to a demotion

also, shouldn't it be easy to know who the visitors are? They are the guys who you have never seen before 

beyond that, it was stated by toddy that it had to do with not knowing krons style of bjj.  It's not just to mark that you are a visitor.  You don't get to wear your non striped belt if you sign up that day. You have to learn their technique to get to wear a regular belt again. 

Is that not a demotion? 

To add on, buchecha didn't have to wear one.  Wasn't he a visitor who didn't know their style of teaching?  

It is is quite obvious it is more about people not mistaking you for a student of krons than it is to identify who to help.  When a new purple belt materializes in your gym, you as the professor don't need a belt to know that you didn't promote him to blue and purple.  

Honestly I don't get the belt thing. If you are completely new to the gym I assume if you are about to roll the guy will say something or just roll.

I don't get why you would be expected to have a special belt. It just seems freaken stupid to me.

I find belts funny things in general and this is just another example of why I think they are a bit stupid.

I think it makes sense. Let's say you do things in your gym a certain way, you see someone not doing it that way. If you can quickly identify them as a visitor, it can help how you approach the situation.

If the owner/instructor is the guy signing the visitor in, I can see why this wouldn't be necessary. But if someone else is handling admin work I would have no problem wearing a belt that identifies me as a guest so the instructor knows.

Where I train we have about 400 members and 50 people in a class and we know exactly who the visitors are. That is not what's going on. 

i'm guessing it's not just to identify drop-in visitors. it's also to identify people who didn't receive their belt from a specific instructor.

each instructor has different standards as far as promotions go. a purple belt at one gym might not be considered a purple belt at another gym. same thing with the other belts.

as an extreme example, suppose a forum favorite like ari bolden, brandon quick, or toby grear moved to OC and started training at gracie barra HQ 5x/week. he wears the black belt he was given to class every day. now everytime someone checks out the school (drop-in, new student, etc.) they see this guy and assume he's a carlos gracie jr. black belt. their impression of a carlos gracie jr. blackbelt might not be that great.

i'm guessing that's the kind of situation kron is trying to avoid.

tapnaporsnapbro - i'm guessing it's not just to identify drop-in visitors. it's also to identify people who didn't receive their belt from a specific instructor.

each instructor has different standards as far as promotions go. a purple belt at one gym might not be considered a purple belt at another gym. same thing with the other belts.

as an extreme example, suppose a forum favorite like ari bolden, brandon quick, or toby grear moved to OC and started training at gracie barra HQ 5x/week. he wears the black belt he was given to class every day. now everytime someone checks out the school (drop-in, new student, etc.) they see this guy and assume he's a carlos gracie jr. black belt. their impression of a carlos gracie jr. blackbelt might not be that great.

So Kron is hoping that the 2nd drop in student doesn't assume that the 1st drop in student earned his blackbelt from Kron?  Wouldn't this explanation only make sense if 2 drop in students attended the same class?  So all this work and effort to convince a drop-in student of Kron's elite level of BJJ?

Otherwise everyone else would know that the drop-in student didn't get his black from Kron, right?

gusto -
Steve_73 -
checkuroil -

Is that not a demotion? 

I think it makes sense. Let's say you do things in your gym a certain way, you see someone not doing it that way. If you can quickly identify them as a visitor, it can help how you approach the situation.

If the owner/instructor is the guy signing the visitor in, I can see why this wouldn't be necessary. But if someone else is handling admin work I would have no problem wearing a belt that identifies me as a guest so the instructor knows.

Really. It's like so hard to tap someone's hand while kneeling and then have a roll. I've trained at 3 different gyms and I admit it's not many but I've never had a problem being able to fit in. I've had plenty of guys come from other gyms and train and it's never been a problem rolling with them.

I reckon this is just an example of dumb cult like behaviour that surrounds some areas of the martial arts.

Our belts are different (better) than your belts

checkuroil -

Where I train we have about 400 members and 50 people in a class and we know exactly who the visitors are. That is not what's going on. 

Exactly. I've never seen any problems with visitors coming to train.

The Maestro -
tapnaporsnapbro - i'm guessing it's not just to identify drop-in visitors. it's also to identify people who didn't receive their belt from a specific instructor.

So Kron is hoping that the 2nd drop in student doesn't assume that the 1st drop in student earned his blackbelt from Kron?  Wouldn't this explanation only make sense if 2 drop in students attended the same class?  So all this work and effort to convince a drop-in student of Kron's elite level of BJJ?

Otherwise everyone else would know that the drop-in student didn't get his black from Kron, right?

^This^ is what it's all about. Which is somewhat understandable. Ofcourse he's really proud of his lineage and academy. We've all seen colored and even higher belts look like complete beginners. An extreme but possible example would be if Dave Lang visited Krons. Taking a class and taking pictures with Kron afterwards. Everybody will know that Dave is a visitor and that it's not one of Krons black belts that's completely helpless on the mat.

For the record I've never been to Krons and I wouldn't feel bad about wearing a visitor belt. I'm still a black belt but from another lineage.

The Maestro - 

not necessarily a drop in.

let's say i got my purple belt from some "regular" black belt in texas. i get a job and move to california and decide to train at kron gracie's school. i am now a regular student at krons who wears a purple belt. unless someone asks, i look like a kron gracie purple belt. when people drop in they will think i'm a purple belt. a student who signs up after me would think i'm a "kron purple belt". if i visit other schools they might assume that i'm a kron gracie purple belt because i currently train at kron's and i'm wearing a purple belt. this might not be something that kron gracie wants. he might have specific requirements (e.g. self defense stuff) that he wants his purple belts to know.

i'm actually not a big fan of belt systems but i can see how the traditional people who are into it could want to do something like kron does.

tapnaporsnapbro -
The Maestro - 

let's say i got my purple belt from some "regular" black belt in texas. i get a job and move to california and decide to train at kron gracie's school. i am now a regular student at krons who wears a purple belt. unless someone asks, i look like a kron gracie purple belt. when people drop in they will think i'm a purple belt. a student who signs up after me would think i'm a "kron purple belt". if i visit other schools they might assume that i'm a kron gracie purple belt because i currently train at kron's and i'm wearing a purple belt. this might not be something that kron gracie wants. he might have specific requirements (e.g. self defense stuff) that he wants his purple belts to know.

i'm actually not a big fan of belt systems but i can see how the traditional people who are into it could want to do something like kron does.

For the sake of arguement:

So you should wear the striped belt until you get your brown? Or because now that you've signed up, it's ok to wear your regular purple belt.

Also, just because you got your purple belt from Kron doesn't automatically make you as soon as he was as a purple belt. There are people who just excel, and others who will be average. That's just life.

Wutang - 
tapnaporsnapbro -
The Maestro - 

For the sake of arguement:

So you should wear the striped belt until you get your brown? Or because now that you've signed up, it's ok to wear your regular purple belt.

Also, just because you got your purple belt from Kron doesn't automatically make you as soon as he was as a purple belt. There are people who just excel, and others who will be average. That's just life.

yah this is all a hypothetical argument. i have no idea what kron's intentions are. but i think in your situation, what would happen is that you would wear the striped purple belt until he is able to assess your skill level. if he feels that you are up to his standards then you would get a "kron" purple belt.

i'm not sure what you're saying in the second part of your post. i'm assuming something was autocorrected.

also, let me make it clear that i don't know anything about kron. i'm just speculating. i don't take BJJ that seriously and probably wouldn't train at a place that was too strict/formal.

Yeah, it seems more of a hassle. You have to keep track of everyone who signs up and decide when they're "worthy" of your belt. What if you're better then your rank when you show up but he doesn't want to promote you because you're still too "new".

It won't let me edit for some reason. I just meant to say that being a Kron purple belt doesn't mean you'll be as good as he was when he was a purple belt.

digitaltoddy - 

His ego has nothing to do with you wearing a white stripe at his school.  However your "fuck that!" comment speaks to your own.  

Kron has allowed guys to wear their black belts (sans stripe) once they've learned his philosophy, techniques and have demonstrated their ability to apply them.  Plain and simple.  Rickson ran his school the same way.  

Don't like it?  Don't train here.  

You think Kron would ever take off his black belt and wear one with a stripe in it in someone else's academy?

I trained at Kron's once as a white belt so the belt wasn't an issue in my case. Before I got on the mat Kron asked me how long I had been training and I told him.

I saw the striped belts and asked a older man with a striped purple belt about them, he told me they moved there from paragon jiu jitsu and Kron wanted them to wear those now. So clearly even if you sign up you have to wear a striped belt until Kron believes you are your rank.

Everyone was friendly for the most part. When it came time to roll Kron picked one of his blue belts to roll with me. His skill was normal. I tapped him a few times, he was getting more aggressive so I kind of allowed a tap at the end of the roll to keep things cool being that I was a visitor I didn't want my experience to become mundials tryout.

Then I rolled with another guy who was really cool. He was a lanky blue belt who had trained somewhere else prior but had been with Kron for about a year. He had good skill tapped me a few times. We talked for a bit and I headed out.

Overall everyone was cool including Kron.

But lets not pretend that making people of a different linage wear striped belts isn't a bit pretentious.