Shaolin Seminar at KATA

liborio1
-
I got my test date for march 4th if all goes well ill be up in hamilton sometime in early march.

everybody
-
Trust me when i tell you both guys are gems in the world of bjj and submission fighting. there is no point in doing the he's better than this guy bit all over again. Anyone here has a lot to learn from both leo viera or shoalin...

in regards to the seminar at KATA the new gym is at

tomkin and kamato which is just slightly north of matheson.. when you hit kamato you go east its in the units right after the restauraunt. call 905-804-8158

"The people there who take ... ... JKD ... aren't interested"

I train in JKD and there was no freakin' way I was missing the chance to train with a World Champion and super nice guy like Shaolin. A JKD fighter is supposed to be well rounded in all ranges of fighting, including grappling and not taking the opportunity to learn something from a legend like Shaolin is just sad. I guess Matt Thornton is right after all.

"He (meaning Scott Schilling) needs 15 people minimum and he only has 5"

Come back to Hamilton Shaolin. We love you here.

I hope that Scott got some training from Shaolin. It would suck if he had to miss training with Shaolin (which I know he wouldn't miss for the world) because the seminars were cancelled.

Portuguese2002,

I agree with you about JDK people needing to be well rounded, that is the whole philosiphy. So I don't know what is going on when there is not a good turn out for the seminar.

By the way, the Thursday night portion of the seminar is still on (no-gi) and there are spots still available.

We can't solely blame the JKD guys for not showing up. We have more than 20 people doing BJJ, but for whatever reason couldn't make it to the seminar.

There seems to be low-attendance at many BJJ seminars these days. I have heard of other world-champs and even Gracie legends getting little to no turn out. I think there are several reasons for this:

1) More supply. BJJ BBs are more plentiful now, so there are more seminars and more people have access to high-level instruction on a regular basis, making seminars a bonus, not a necessity.

2) Quality. Going along with more supply, now people can pick and choose between more BBs and don't have to accept seminars where few techniques are shown, too many techniques are shown, lower-quality or dumbed down techniques are shown, or the seminar is held by a famous fighter who is not a great teacher (either just aren't good at it, or don't give a damn to try). This kind of info passes around too easily now on the 'net and people can make informed decisions about where to spend their seminar cash for the best return.

3) Economy. Not all seminars and/or instruction is reasonably priced, or even if reasonably priced, still may not be within the budget of people who need to feed their families or make their housing payments. This goes along with the above. Some are charging hundreds and hundreds of dollars these days which is beyond what some people can afford. And its not always a better business model, as 10@100 is more than 5@150. This also goes with the above as more BBs mean lower demand (meaning lower prices will be supported), and quality of instruction will matter more than reputation of a family or a competitor (Matt Thorton or Roy Harris might get more people than R. Gracie or Mundial Champ).

4) Level/Focus. I know at my level (beginner) the content of a seminar is more important to me than the presenter. I am currently focusing on basics, so someone teaching 'the latest moves from Brazil' or something like that is not a good investment for me, while someone spending 4hrs on a couple guard passes is worth its weight in gold. Different areas will have different demographics, and thus may require different content to better appeal to what is in the area.

I think there will be a shaking out where the truly exceptional instructors who do their research, target their audience, and offer the best value proposition will find their seminars packed, and those with less aptitude/care to teach will either have to improve in that area (teaching is a separate skill and requires specific training all its own in most cases, as is marketing) or focus more on competing/fighting (just as some good teachers can't fight).

(Note: I was unable to attend Shaolin's seminar, so this does not involve him in any way--from the raves he's getting here, he sounds like the Matt Serra/Eddie Bravo/etc. type who can both teach and compete very, very well. These are just general thoughts.)

Very Sad ! The points is that this is not just any other BJJ player it's one of the best around and a good teacher. Not to mention his bright future in MMA.
I think people would rather spend money on beer and going out this Saturday. A good Saturday night must cost $75 after parking ,drinks and cover.

Yes there is more black belts around and instruction is better. But you get more then instruction. You get to meet great BJJ people hear some funny stories and get a few new views on technique. You will never recall all the information. But you will be supporting your club and the sport. This is how Wagnney approachs the students at Karma. We have a black belt teaching and still support seminars.

Get out there guys or other clubs will hesitate before briniging other big names from other teams.

Exactly Karmarep.

This isn't any ordinary BJJ Blackbelt. This is "SHAOLIN"!!!

HELLO PEOPLE, GET WITH IT!!!

Karmarep, people do not make sense. They will often pay more for entertainment than they will for education (how many Judge Judy or Jerry Springer alumn are ass-deep in dept yet still have playstation2?), more for their dogs than they will for the children, more for their alcohol than they will their health.

And I agree with supporting. However, the flip side of this is that instruction will have to improve as well. No longer, IMHO, will people be will to have some famous family or champion come in for a high cost seminar if they are (for example) ignored while the presenter chats with friends or goofs around, or are shown crappy techniques because there are 'outsiders' around.

Unconditional support is not productive for the individual or the sport. Supporting the best and getting the best in return is good for everyone.

(And again, Shaolin sounds like one of the best, so hopefully everyone will support!)

I can say that the Nova Uniao black belts that have been doing seminars around the GTA have shown some touch notch sh*t.

There has been plently of visitors at Karma for seminars and it all been layout for all to see and with video of all major competitions these days what secrets could be kept.. none.

"Unconditional support is not productive for the individual or the sport. Supporting the best and getting the best in return is good for everyone."

Right on. But I not speaking about unconditional support. I talking about mutual benefit and training with a World champion and undefeated MMA figher/shoot champion instruction.

Do people feel $75 is to much ??

$75 for Shaolin is just right. Hell it's a bargain imo. The last ten minutes of the seminar he spent doing a q&a which was awesome, you could literally ask him anything and the man had an answer for everything.

ttt for Shaolin, great seminar, especially for blue belts.

thanks deepu.

I don't think $75 was too much for Shaolin either. I regret I could not make it. IMHO, though, not because he's a champion (though that's nice), but because he seems to be able to improve the people he teaches, which is priceless.