Shooto C class in Melbourne

Come on guys, especially local Melbourne up and coming MMA hopefuls. This is your chance to enter a sanctioned competition with total focus on safety and giving novice fighters a chance to test themselves before stepping up to Shooto 'B' or 'A' class, XFC or Spartan.

If the promoter's don't get support by way of competitors, the sport will struggle to find it's feet in Victoria.

Don't let the opportunity pass you by.

Regards

Gerald.

ttt

I definietely would...but not ready yet

I'm in the same boat... I think a few of us needed more than 3 weeks notice.

sorry guys, family commitments prohibit the December event.

Even though I'm not ready for it, I still would have entered for the experience. You don't have to "be ready" as such for your first event. I don't think that there is any point "being ready" to fight Tito if it's a C class event.

Remember an event at this level is only a stepping stone to greater things, not the "final frontier" for MMA fighters!

peace out!

Angelo

If your fighting 2x3min rounds its prob a good idea to be at least half fit dont you think???

So you would fight Tito or a Tyson when you know you werent fit enought to fit 2x3 min rounds?

Keats,

Have another look at my post. I don't think you need to be as fight ready for a C class event as you do for a top level A class, Spartan, XFC, UFC etc etc...

If you have only been in this game for a short time, then yes you are correct. More training would be required to be fight fit. I would say at a guess, that if most people on this forum and in this game are training ground work 2-3 times a week, then I would say that they are also capable of a 20 minute jog, 45 minute cycle at a good pace above 70% MHR, 45 skipping/punch bag/speedball/floor to ceiling ball also at a good pace. If they can do this, the 2X3 minute rounds shouldn't be too much trouble either.

Remember I am only trying to encourage people to have a go.

angelo

I see where your coming from angeel, your right. I would think there is alot of guys out there who are fit enought to fight the 2x3 min rounds. I personally just need more than 3 weeks notice but i will be doing everything i can to attend and watch the fights. If i was training ground work 2 times a week i would be there. I also think its a great oppertunity for people to start off.

Was talking to Paul Cale on the night of the last fights and he wants to put together some c class shows in Nth Vic in the near future.

So your right we need to get behind the guys running these events so they keep happeneing.

2x3minute rounds isn't much considering your average BJJ match is 1x6minutes, entry level B class matches are generally 2x5minutes which is a BIG difference.

Angelo is so right. It's amateur, no titles, no crowd pressure beyond the other competitors etc (it's being hosted at the Xtreme Gym in Warrigal Rd), easy transition event for anyone thinking about breaking into mainstream MMA in future.

Most of you guys would suprise yourselves if you had a go.

Regards

Gerald.

Does this count on your MMA record if you chose to go on to A or B class fights?

Are the fights on the 6th or 7th and do you still have to weigh in the day before?

Thanks guys. I would like to know how many people have already committed to this event, and how many of those people feel like they are prepared for it.

I'd like to let you guys know that I have yet to train specific MMA techniques. But I have trained in BJJ for 2 years and Shootfighting for 2 years as well, both as independant fighting styles. So as you can see, I am probably not ready anyway. When I was a white belt with about 6 months under me, I decided to enter the Vic state BJJ titles for the experience. I got ripped a new arshole in under 1 min 30 sec, but I took from that experience the feeling of being there. In my next event, TGONTG at Hangar 4 in Nov/Dec 2002, I wasn't so nervous, then a week or 2 later the Pan Pacs 2003 were on. Each event I entered saw me compete more confidently, not because I was a better grappler or fitter, but rather because I was more comfortable in the ring, facing off head to head with a stranger. No matter how ready you are for a fight, somethings can only be learned by experience.

So if anyone thinks their not ready, then you can enter knowing that even if you lose, you still win!

Good luck to everyone on the day!

BTW I still wish I could compete!

ange

Angelo,

totally agree. My first comps in BJJ and Submission were dismal failures in terms of results but I learnt heaps and found massive training motivation by losing to guys I believed I could beat.

Keats,

I would say as it is 'C' class and amateur, it won't be a match you'd keep on your record. My guess?

All,

Spoke to JD during the week, the event will be hosted at his gym in Warrigal Rd Malvern, weigh-in and event on the 6th only.

There was only ONE confirmed nomination (don't know what weight) and John said if he doesn't get more interest very soon, he will cancel the event.

ONE GUY WITH THE KAHUNA'S TO HAVE A GO!!!

I know it's short notice, nearly xmas, etc etc etc but seriously, if we don't support the smaller regional events, the follow on effect will most likely be fewer main events, so the sports growth is stunted, at least in Victoria.

If I was fit, i'd compete. Win/Lose/Draw doesn't matter to me either way. No heroism intended, I just love competitions the opportunity to test myself in a new environment, a new opponent, whatever......

Maybe I'm wrong and there isn't a market for amateur MMA in Victoria???

Seems like whenever I go to a BJJ or Submission event everyone is always bitching that we don't get any MMA and how shitty it is that the legislation hasn't previously allowed local MMA events????

Now someone is actively encouraging the sport by way of events and we're all going to sit on our hands and hope someone else steps up to entertain us???

Come on guys, am I the only one frustrated to see this opportunity missed???

Regards

Gerald.

Edit for posting when pissed.

Like a few other guys on here, I'd love to fight in this, but am not ready yet.

Gerald, could you email me a little more info on this and any future fights for amateurs (ausshootofan@hotmail.com)?

Cheers,

Kyle

C'mon people!!

My knee's fucked, so im out for awhile!

Unfortunately due to lack of numbers this event has been postponed till a better time.

There were only entries from the Extreme school in Melbourne but they could not fight each other.

Please contact me if you are interested in competing in the future.

Larry Papadopoulos

02 9283 6421

or

0412 393 414

Daniel,

On reflection, perhaps I spat the dummy a bit too far?

Seriously though, I wasn't suggesting 2 weeks training was enough to fight, even C Class Shooto.

I am suprised that with the amount of guys out there, training regularly, 3-4 sessions a week or more, that there are only two guys willing to compete in this type of event.

I agree that it is still full contact fighting and should be taken seriously by anyone stepping up to compete. But, 2x3 minute rounds, shin gaurds, IABA Head Gear and no ground strikes makes it a very gentle entry to MMA, in my opinion.

For mine, the worst thing that could happen is you might have to tap out? Don't think there would be too many KO's in that time with that equipment?

Please go ahead and disagree if you think my expectations are too high?

As I said in my original post, seems like a lot of guys talking it up but not too many prepared to put their words into action.

Look forward to seeing a greater number of entries in future.

Perhaps a lesson to the organiser's to maximise the notice given to potential fighter's. I daresay they were trying to make the most of the interest created at the Shooto 'A' class event?

Peace and respect.

Gerald.

Gerald,

I support the thoughts you expressed in your post above.

I have been training and had commited to compete. Therefore, I am quite disappointed that the event has been cancelled due to low interest by fighters.

Chris

Hopefully the next Shooto in Melb will be as successful as the 1st and more MMA's training clubs will spring up with it now being allowed in our own back yard. Lets hope there is plenty of A,B and C class events coming up in the near future in Victoria.

TTT for John and Larry, and the Shooto movement in Australia.

It is good to see the development of a Class-C (amateur) foundation to build fighters. There is a similar movement in Europe and Japan has a huge amateur infrastructure.

We can't get it going in the states because there are so many small 'pro' shows so guys don't want to fight with protective gear and stuff.

Plus there are 'amateur' shows in the U.S. that basically use pro rules, but call it amateur so that they don't have to pay the fighters.

We need an amateur circuit, good luck down-under in developing it.