Shooto C class in Melbourne

Daniel,

MMA is certainly much more mainstream in QLD than Victoria. Been around longer, more events, greater pool of fighters etc etc.

That seems to be part of the problem here, fear of the unknown perhaps?

I agree that any form of MMA, even 'C' class Shooto deserves a good deal of consideration and preparation, not to be taken lightly.

You can still 'eat a knee' in a game of Mixed Netball given the right circumstances. It's all relative to the individual.

Looking forward to more Shooto events, A, B & C class!

Thanks for reminding me regarding S7, if it looked painful, it was ;)

Regards

Gerald

Is C class fought in a ring or just on the mats?

Its ashame that this event was cancelled. More amateur shows are needed to give up and coming fighters the legs they need to get experience and knowledge...

I hope that this show kicks of next time round. I may have a guy I am training that will be ready to fight in a few months.

Amateur MMA fights do seem to count, the fact is, we dont have a big enough sport to have an amateur and pro division...at this time.
Plus fans dont know what fights are Am. and what ones are Pro when held on certain cards.

My fight vs Nathan Stahr was under an amateur contract, but the rules and event were at an A class pro level. So does this mean that fight does not count on my Pro record...?

Whatever the case I strongly suggest anyone interested to get behind these events, step up and have a go. Two weeks preparation is enough for a C class show. You want to fight, then you have to go with what you have. Three months or three days...the sport is still growing so fighters dont have the luxury to dictate how long they have to prepare at any level. It all depends on how much you want to fight.

Shooto in Melbourne is really doing the right thing by the sport and the fighters. Having different class of events as well as hosting such quality shows will lift the bar of competition here in Australia. For those guys who want to fight, jump on the oppurtunity. It is not that often that a organisation such as this has such an oppurtunity for aspiring athletes.

Remember have fun...and learn as much as you can from it all.

Kym Robinson

"It all depends on how much you want to fight."

"Remember have fun...and learn as much as you can from it all."

Pretty much sums it up, good post Kym.

Regards

Gerald.

hmm thought melbourne was ment to be the bjj/mma mecca, two weeks notice is heaps of time to fight under these fun/safe rules. seems weak to have to can it! i would and have done it hungover. hope u have better luck next time larry. whens the next one in syd?

If you all think 2 weeks is enough notice look around asnd see if there are amature boxing fights in your state in 2 weeks time and entre!!! Only 3x2 or 4x2 min rounds, who needs any training to fight in one of those??? Head gear padded boxing gloves...Let me know who you all went in 2 weeks after you fight.

Ohh by the way trying to get a guy i have trained with over the years to fight in the next C Class event with me...2 last fight he beat Scott Bannon (3 times world Thai champ) lets see how much fun it is to fight him with 2 weeks training.

Almost for got trying to get another guy i train with to enter, he won the SuperHeavy Amature Boxing Title on the weekend by Koing the curant champ in round 3, this guy hits fucking hard with 12 to 16oz gloves on like to also see guys train for 2 weeks and fight him...promise if you dont take him down your going home ko'd!!!

Cool, sounds like we'll be seeing some Shepparton entries in the next 'C' class!!!

Regards

Gerald.

ttt :)

Were working on it G, so far there have been about 6 guys who are interested in having a go (which as you know means shit), we are looking at getting someone with some background in MMA's to help us work on some of our training.

Sorry if my last 2 posts sounded a bit harsh, just get sick of everyone thinking C Class is just a bit of a giggle "i would of done it hungover" "Two weeks preperation is enough for a C Class show" ect...it might be for guys who have fought before. Its also proberly plent for me as i am confident in my stand up fighting and if it hits the ground worst case senario i'm going to get submitted. What about the newish White belt that might have a roll 3 times a week, starts on his knees all the time (so knows stuff all take downs) never boxed, kickboxed ect (has no stand up game) now this guy faces off against the Victorian Superheavy weight Champ or a guy who has beaten the likes of Scott Bannon ect, now tell me this white belt would find the C Class event just a bit of fun after he can't take the guy down and now gets punched and kicked for the next 6 minutes!

Fantam, JD sent me an email saying he was looking to have a C Class Event in late January so maybe the guy your training can fight on that one, why is he a few months away when everyone only needs 2 weeks training to be ready for it? thats 5 or 6 weeks away, on your theory your guy should be pumped and ready to go in 5 weeks!!!

tt and t for white whale!

ttt for white whale! evry thing you say is correct!,, if ur training is m.m.a based and u train 3 or more times a week you should be fine just pick it up and go for a few runs and do some extra trainin in those two weeks. and keats tell your buddys to call kerry or justin for fight, and it was "would and HAVE done it hungover" but on that note the first time is always the worst, so yer i was the same till i got in there.

digz, you fought hungover???

I'm impressed! I usually find most of my hungover matches involved ex-girlfriends screaming at me!!!!

WHERE THE F*&^ HAVE YOU BEEN??? YOU F*%$ING A%$#HOLE!!!

digz, sorry if i was getting hot headed. I proberly would also hope in on two weeks notice (reason i didn't last time was i dislocated my thumb playing basketball 2 weeks before fights were to take place). I would also just get in for a bit of fun but i'm not that worried about being beaten in stand up, what i was just trying to point out was for a guy who's whole game is grappling it could be a bit scary with only 2 weeks notice.

As of people who train MMA 3 times a week that seems to be the problem here in Vic (might change now we are having A,B&C Class events. I have posted on here where can you train in MMA in Melbourne and the only answer that came back was Extreme, and as the UnderWorld is currantly out of order this looks in Melbourne there is only one place to train.

And i think that was the problem last time, all the fighters that put their names down came from the one place.

thats a shame. yer i think and hope the days are gone where someone who just trains grappleing would enter c class. when my training is normal eg. not hurt, sick feeling good, yer thats when the on a couple days notice applys to c class style events.

Thats cool, with the next one maybe happening in late January (maybe 6 weeks away) why don't we all get into training all turn up and have a great day, win loss or draw.

count me in!

Has JD set a date as of yet?

Not that i know of. just hope we all dont find out 2 weeks before. ;)

AvA i bet it is like most amature sport where the fighters will be very well protected. I don't think it is as easy to get hurt as i pointed out, was just trying to make a point to others that C Class could be a big deal to guys who have never fought before. As i have said i ahve full respect for anyone who gets in the ring and C Class is included.

Official Release from ASC

C-Class Shooto event part of "The Contenders" series to find Shooto fighters for debut fights in Japan.

To be held at the Extreme Gym in Melbourne on the 31st January 2004.

All enquireies to Larry Papadopoulos at

shooto@boxingworks.com.au or call

02 9283 6421

Cool. Hows the bit about finding shooto fighters out of these fights for debut in Japan work?