should i eat read meat

the following is an excerpt from
Protein Essentials: what every athlete needs to know

Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2005;14(2):113-9. Lean meat and heart health. Li D, Siriamornpun S, Wahlqvist ML, Mann NJ, Sinclair AJ. Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China. -email-

The general health message to the public about meat consumption is both confusing and misleading. It is stated that meat is not good for health because meat is rich in fat and cholesterol and high intakes are associated with increased blood cholesterol levels and coronary heart disease (CHD). This paper reviewed 54 studies from the literature in relation to red meat consumption and CHD risk factors. Substantial evidence from recent studies shows that lean red meat trimmed of visible fat does not raise total blood cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol levels. Dietary intake of total and saturated fat mainly comes from fast foods, snack foods, oils, spreads, other processed foods and the visible fat of meat, rather than lean meat. In fact, lean red meat is low in saturated fat, and if consumed in a diet low in SFA is associated with reductions in LDL-cholesterol in both healthy and hypercholesterolemia subjects. Lean red meat consumption has no effect on in vivo and ex vivo production of thromboxane and prostacyclin or the activity of haemostatic factors. Lean red meat is also a good source of protein, vitamin B12, niacin, zinc and iron. In conclusion, lean red meat, trimmed of visible fat, which is consumed in a diet low in saturated fat does not increase cardiovascular risk factors (plasma cholesterol levels or thrombotic risk factors).

My thoughts: I would recommend at least a few portions of lean red meat per week. Red meat is loaded with micronutrients and is a good source of quality protein. Earlier studies that indicate the negative affects of red meat on CHD markers looked at higher fat cuts of meat. It wasn't the protein that resulted in the negative effects, but the higher fat content. Don't be afraid to consume natures multivitamin mineral beef.

thanks
coach hale
www.coachhale.com sign up free newsletter receive free mma training manual

www.maxcondition.com

Great article.

From personal experience, there's a marked difference in my athletic performance when I eat red meat 2-3 times a week. Much stronger, basically.

I eat lean red meat at least once a day.

Mmmmmm.... beef

Increases in performance are likely due in part because red meat is the
highest source of creatine short of supplementation.

-doug-

great source of bcomplex vitamins as well

coach hale
www.maxcondition.com
www.coachhale.com

i am now going to make steak chili tonite :D

another thing to consider there have been many documented cases a very high saturated fat diets that showed no negative effect on chd markers

people have been healthy and not healthy with various types of diets, it is always a matter of various things that contribute to health conditions genetics, activity level, metabolic abnormalties, caloric consumption etc...

coach hale
www.maxcondition.com
www.coachhale.com

"Partially, but I think you'd have to down about 3 lbs. of beef to get the equivalent of a tablespoon of creatine. "

Which is why i said "red meat is the highest source of creatine short of supplementation." :) For those not supplementing with creatine, regular consumption of red meat would probably significantly improve stored creatine levels.

-doug-

I'll be getting my purple belt soon. You better watch yourself.

-doug-

this article might interest some
Low carb dieting the truth
http://www.maxcondition.com/page.php?17

thank you
Coach Hale
www.coachhale.com
www.maxcondition.com

Japetto is correct.  Eating red meat will turn you into a cold blooded KILLA!

TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN!!!

in general rondsteak , flank and loin cuts are relatively lean

lauras lean beef also makes some very lean cuts 4%

coach hale
www.maxcondition.com
www.coachhale.com

Ok, what about recent australian studies to suggest that red meat may increase the risk of getting Colon/bowel cancer. Although the numbers are very small, they are statiscally significant none the less. (will endevour to find the relevant article).
red meat and health issues has been a ceesaw battle between good and bad for a while now, with the most recent studies suggesting that eating too much red meat can lead to bowel cancer.

What is too much??? well probably eating red meat more that four times a week. Sure its great for all the aforentioned nutrients it provides, however, eating too much of a good thing can sometimes spell disaster.

Eat a variety of foods throughout the week would be sound nutritional practice. Stay away from lots of processed deli meats and excessive amounts of red meat. 1-2 serves a week is good.

According to the food standards Board Of Australia & New Zealand no more than four servings of red meat per week should be consumed until further studies suggest otherwise. This was given upon recommendation from the Australian Dietetics Association.

weighs the small increase in colon cancer risk against never eating red meat again

commences steak ingestion

I believe that a high fiber diet helps prevent colon cancer. It would be interesting to do a study of the corrolation between high red meat diets and low fiber intakes.

The rule of thumb for checking for lean meat is to look at the marblization of the cut of meat. Compare a ribeye to a london broil or a TriTip. There is a lot more intermusclular fat (marblization), which is why they are so tasty.

This is an article from the San Francisco Chronicle about free range beef.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/20/FDG7LL5N221.DTL

We humans are carnivors...

Actually, we human beings are omnivores. Which means meat and various forms of fiber. "Too much" of anything is, by definition, too much; so yeah, I think increasing fiber intake is important if you live primarily as a carnivore.