Simms is a liar.....

"but the 'restart issue' did have bearing on the outcome of the fight"

Exactly.

Tysaw, the point we're trying to make is that there were clearly some violations and mistakes that were never formally addressed. To ignore these mistakes and violations is wrong.

"I'd have to do some specific research..."

Uncle, you can simply watch the Edwards-Franca fight from the same UFC and see that there were 2 restarts in that fight, and in both instances the referee made sure the fighters were ready to fight before he allowed the fight to restart. That is the rule, and the same should have been done in the Sims-Kyle fight.

I support Big John McCarthy, he is the best!! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Gary Hughes

Yeah this makes a lot of sense. Turn your back on your opponent after taking 10 seconds to get to your feet and then blame the ref. Somehow Law Dog can convince himself that Sims was wronged. Unbelievable. Well not really since Law Dog has never shown any objectivity when posting about his nut ride.

The bite is a different story. Doesnt seem to have impacted the fight but Kyle should be fined for that sheeit.

Pretty much confirms there was indeed a bite, I agree Kyle should be penalized. Put him up against Arlovski, that should be sufficient penalty.

Gary Hughes

"Since it did not effect the outcome of the fight, it should probably not be a DQ."

With the greatest of respect, I can't see that we can know that it didn't effect the outcome of the fight. Yes, being bitten when trying to slap on a sub does provoke a reaction from most (it happened to me recently, I still have the bruise). But Wes Sims is an unusual guy, and seems to have a different relationship with pain than most folks do. He didn't seem to be making much effort to get BJM's attention on the floor, but to be fair, he was fighting a guy off, and maybe he just kept going on some sort of not-thinking-straight notion of good faith.

I'm not sure we can so readily dismiss the bite as having had no effect on the outcome of the fight.

As regards the restart, I watched this fight a few times yesterday in order to try to work out when the bite happened and the restart is what I really noticed as being odd.

Wes definitely seemed to be stalling for time. However, the fight was restarted whilst he was facing away from his opponent, and I'm under the impression that this is not the general idea. Perhaps penalising Wes for his stalling would be fair, but I didn't like the fight being restarted before he was ready.

During the restart, BJM (with all due respect to him) did not look at Mike Kyle at any point once Wes was stood up (you can see his head and eye movement on the tape), and did not give any explicit verbal instruction for the fight to restart, but rather clapped his hands *whilst* telling Wes to turn around, before he actually did. On the clap, which was simultaneous with the start of the instruction, Kyle charged across the octagon (BJM had not looked at him) and tried to behead Sims.

This isn't an attack on BJM, as I understand how hard reffing is especially under that sort of pressure, but I'm fairly sure that's not how a restart is supposed to happen. It must be frustrating for the clock to be ticking with only 20 seconds left and have a fighter stall for time, but I'm not convinced that letting his opponent attack his back is the preferable option. Surely a verbal warning and then a points penalty if it continued would be more appropriate?

The fighter was exhausted and confused. Does that make it OK for an opponent to swing at the back of his head? Isn't that the sort of thing the ref is there to prevent happening?

STILL people are missing the big picture. It is the responsibility of the FIGHTER to protect himself at all times. Yes, the referee has an obligation as well but trying to blame BJM in this is absurd. Simms took forever to get to his feet, he stumbled to his corner...as was pointed out above, a RESTART does not necessitate or require a fighter to go to his corner. Simms was buying time, simple as that. As far as the comment about not knowing how the bite effected the outcome...come on. No effect. It was illegal, it was classless, it should be sanctioned, it had NO effect on the outcome. The moment the bite occurred was on the ground. Once it went to the feet, quit bitching and whining (if you are still interested in fighting the fight that is) and move on. To say Simms reaction would have/is different than mortal men is lame. I have been bitten and have seen bites in streetfights and in those cases it was readily apparent immediately that someone bit/someone got bit. Not saying I have seen it all/done it all but I know in my case and others I have seen the flagarant violation was immediatley reported/easily spotted. Not unlike the Holyfield/Tyson fight or the Lindland match. They too were in competition, under stress/adrenaline and the biting incidences were clearly seen at the time of the bite. I watched the fight again today and I honestly don't see Simms expression/demeanor change on the ground at all. If it was that disturbing, disruptive to his sub attempt/ground game I would have thought you would have seen SOME type of expression change or immediate notification to BJM. I am NOT excusing the actions of Lyle at all. I thought they were cheap, and dishonorable. Just feel people are confusing the two issues, or making excuses for an obvious loss. Nuff said...no disrespect intended to any of the above posters, just my final .02 FWIW.

TTT

Mike Kyle was alittle too hungry for a good fight, but got a bad taste in his mouth when in Sims guard lol. Sorry bad joke but hey things happen Sims got beat he will be back I am sure, Kyle should have to deal with some sort of penalty for the bite, but who doesn't like the way he finished that fight. Head Hunter

Justin "Evil"

Estarriol is exactly on point. He has obviously watched the fight numerous times and understands the HUGE mistake that was made by BJM.

A mistake that effects the outcome of the fight has to be dealt with.

The mistake was clearly on Wes & not BJM.

Kyle is a dirty fighter & I want to see him get beat down, but he doesn't deserve a beatdown in the UFC.

"This fight should be precedental that the ref should make sure both fighters are prepared to fight"

Hopefully it will be...we'll soon see.

Its no lie that it is heard CLEARLY that big John yelled to simms 3 TIMES to turn around and fight before he got nailed so screw him, he's an idiot for turning his back

law dog wants to blame BJM rather than look at the facts with objectivity:

-Wes was stalling and could barely get up
-Wes turned his back to his opponent
-Wes got KTFO
-One minute of rest would have done nothing for Wes and he would have been KTFO in the first few seconds of round 2.
-Wes has been KTFO 2 times and DQ'd once. Was he going to submit Kyle with a flying triange or his vicious roundhouse kick to the head in rd 2 had he made it to the bell? GET REAL!