Singing a New Tune: Why Cotto Beats Pacquiao

Challenger & Champion

For the third time this year, I'm profiling a boxing match instead of a UFC for Total-MMA. This time I thought the choice is so obvious I didn't even bother with an explanation as to why. 

Here it is:

Singing a New Tune: Why Miguel Cotto is Going to Beat Manny Pacquiao Tonight

I had some fun with the article and hope you enjoy it. Any comments welcome, here or on the site.

Thanks;

TH

Good article...but I still think Pac is going to win by KO/TKO.

it all depends on Cotto. We'll know what we will get with pac, he always brings it, brings it hard. But cotto really hasn't been the same since margacheatah. If his game face is on i'm ready for what i think will be a downright BRUTAL battle for 8 rounds until pac takes it with a TKO with 30 seconds left in the round. I just dont think cotto has his game anymore.

Thanks for reading; I'm glad you liked it.

Both are great, and neither guy has really seen anything like the other before -- so nothing would really surprise me here. But, I'm going with my gut.

TH

I have the feeling whichever guy wins, it will be by destruction.

Yeah, in my other Pac/Cotto article on the same site, I linked a video interview with Pac & Cotto with Max Kellerman. Max asked something about a "feeling out process" in the bout, and the two fighters just smiled at each other.

It's like, forget it. They're going to slug it out, right away. But Cotto can fight a little backing up if he has to, and can get a little cute switching to southpaw.

We'll see.

TH

A nice read, Hackett, but I wouldn't have minded a little bit more analysis of their respective strengths and weaknesses. To be honest, despite victories over DLH and Hatton, I'm not convinced that Pacquiao can really fight and best the best at WW. There's no doubt that Cotto has and probably still can. Cotto has also handled fast fighters before (Mosely and Judah). But is Pacquiao even faster than them? This is a pck'em fight, and if I had to pick a winner, I would go w/ Cotto. He's the bigger man, probably takes a better shot, and probably has the better punch. If Pacquiao doesn't get lured into a brawl and Cotto cannot effectievly cut off the ring, then this fight should go Manny's way. I'm also a bit worried that Pacquiao hasn't prepared as well for this fight as he should have and is overconfident. But that's hard to know or measure.

ron den otter - A nice read, Hackett, but I wouldn't have minded a little bit more analysis of their respective strengths and weaknesses.

I can see this. In my preview of Miguel Cotto vs. Joshua Clottey (here, from the same site) I broke down their attributes, both strengths and weaknesses; and linked videos to back it all up. Here I basically did a free write which focuses on my gut instincts about the two, which isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. I appreciate the feedback.

To be honest, despite victories over DLH and Hatton, I'm not convinced that Pacquiao can really fight and best the best at WW. There's no doubt that Cotto has and probably still can. Cotto has also handled fast fighters before (Mosely and Judah). But is Pacquiao even faster than them? This is a pck'em fight, and if I had to pick a winner, I would go w/ Cotto. He's the bigger man, probably takes a better shot, and probably has the better punch. If Pacquiao doesn't get lured into a brawl and Cotto cannot effectievly cut off the ring, then this fight should go Manny's way. I'm also a bit worried that Pacquiao hasn't prepared as well for this fight as he should have and is overconfident. But that's hard to know or measure.

Yep. Who knows? There were rumblings about Cotto struggling with weight which appear to have been completely disproven. I definitely find the betting line really uncharitable to a fighter of Miguel's caliber.

Thanks for reading, Ron.

TH 

I'm pleasantly surprised at all the Cotto support here :) Just watching the last HBO 24/7 show now and took down this quote from Cotto re: the long odds --

"I don't need no one to trust in me, you know, to believe in me....you wake up every day, to pray to bring the best you can bring every day in your life... and you don't have to prove anything to anybody."

One major thing a lot of critics and experts have failed to mention is Pacman lack of ability to fight backing up.  He's always had issues fighting off of his backfoot, and I think people are forgetting this because of his last three fights.  If Cotto can "weather the storm", I see him getting a late stoppage from that sledgehammer of a left hook he has to the body.

Margarito is a big welterweight and it took 11 rounds for him to wear down Cotto, even with plaster in his wraps possibly. Clottey and Sugar Shane Mosley couldn't KO Miguel.

If those guy had trouble hurting him I don't think Manny will be able to. Cotto on the other hand packs a punch and can definitely damage Pacquiao.

EDIT
I posted before reading hackett's article, and I just noticed he said the exact same thing. lol

Sorry man. Not trying to plagiarize you, it's just that great minds think alike.

Yeah, I see that as pretty key. I'm envisioning Cotto coming out with good, controlled aggression in the first, hitting his jab here and there, and backing Pac up. Still, look for Pacquiao to take some early stanzas with his high workrate, but eventually wear down, particularly from the body shots that Cotto mixes in. As the rounds wear on, Cotto continues to go in & out effectively and bully the smaller man, also switching to southpaw here and there to mix up his attack. The end comes in the 9th from an accumulation of punches to head & body.

Unless I'm wrong, of course.

TH

Working the body will be the key. Marquez had succes doing this against Manny, and the few times De La Hoya tried it you could see Pacman backing up and getting a tad flustered.

lol at the notion that somebody is gonna walk down pacman... and cotto really believes that his power will really overwhelm pacman...

regarding your article - it is a bit critical on pacman not being a boxer... but after he wins will you still believe that he isn't entitled to doing other things that ring him joy during his down time?

figure four - lol at the notion that somebody is gonna walk down pacman... and cotto really believes that his power will really overwhelm pacman...

regarding your article - it is a bit critical on pacman not being a boxer... but after he wins will you still believe that he isn't entitled to doing other things that ring him joy during his down time?

JMM walked down Pacquiao just fine their last fight, and that wasn't so long ago.  JMM is also not what you'd call fast, either.  And that was at 130lbs.  Is Pacman faster than Mosley and Judah?  That remains to be seen, but I'm guessing if he is, not by much, especially at 145.

I say Pac-man gets dropped at least once in the first 3 rounds, cause he'll being going for the big win. But I say Manny takes this fight, either late or by decision. Both these guys will touch the floor in this one at some point.

figure four - regarding your article - it is a bit critical on pacman not being a boxer... but after he wins will you still believe that he isn't entitled to doing other things that ring him joy during his down time?

I may not like all his choices but he's entitled to them. Pacquiao is more likely to damage his country as a politician than anything else. Seems like there's a history of that with celebs in the PI.

But to answer your question: regardless of the outcome tonight, there's a line to be drawn. It actually goes beyond my gut feeling that he's distracted. Scheduling an appearance the day after a bout, as Cotto has done with the Puerto Rico Day parade in NYC, is one thing. Scheduling a concert an hour after a bout like Pac has tonight... that's a bit insulting.

TH

Clottey and Sugar Shane Mosley couldn't KO Miguel.

Pacman just did what Margarito did with loaded wraps.

This is from a guy that started fighting at 112 and who has to eat like a pig to make 145

and again...

LOL at the NOTION of PACMAN being walked down...

Pacman chased him a good part of the fight...

he can sing all he wants as he has shown his ability to remain focused!

WAR PACQUIAO!