slightly off-topic: Meditation / Brain S&C

Very cool talk by Jon Kabat-Zinn at Google Authors.

Don't have time to watch the whole video, but my coaches were always huge on visualization. There's also some neat research on visualizing lifting weights that showed evidence that you actually got stronger by thinking your way through a workout.

Everyone should watch that vid. Awareness/presence/mindfulness improves the quality of everything you do, and makes everything more enjoyable at the same time. It's the biggest lesson of our time IMO

If you guys didn't have enough to watch, here's a 48 minute presentation (again, at Google) about the science behind mindfulness meditation.

ttt for any opinions?

ttt for later

t

cant see the video at work but ive always been a big believer in visualization and a long time meditator meditation is a big part of my morning and evening routines and if i have a competition or fight coming up visualization becomes a big part of my routine also.

Didn't watch the video (maybe I should), but is this similar to the NLP/state-physiological change stuff?

^^^No. Not at all, really.

doggit, it doesn't really talk about visualization at all either.

for later

ttt

why do all these people tell anecdotes and rave about the benefits of this... and take forever to get around to actually teaching it? Drives me nuts.

Lord Kancho - why do all these people tell anecdotes and rave about the benefits of this... and take forever to get around to actually teaching it? Drives me nuts.

A-freaking-men. I'm 35min into watching that and still waiting for something I can take action on.

Asshole, doesn't he know I'm trying to find my happy place.

Seriously my goal is to finish it this weekend and maybe post a clif notes version

for laters......

ttt

Post a cliff notes version. I had trouble getting it to load. I checked out the 2nd vid though, interesting.

ttt

The gist of it is that we are all so conditioned to think that we are always distracted from actually experiencing life. The thought-process, wich is supposed to be a human function limited to solving certain tasks (like gathering information, planning, solving certain problems etc) has become compulsive and dominates our lives completly, leading to fear, disconectedness (is that a word?), craving etc. Being "in the now", focusing completly on what you're doing without loosing yourself in thought is being at peace.

Practice by paying attention to regular things. Like if you're washing your hands, there is a lot of things going on, like sense-perception from the water, touch, sent from the soap, sounds etc. The mind will tell you this is all trivial and un-important, so most of the time we don't even notice that we wash our hands, walk up some stairs or prepare a meal. Instead we spend the time worrying about things that ultimatly are only in our minds, rehearsing conversations, worrying about stuff in the future or day-dreaming about things we'd like to happen. Ultimatly, living in ones own thoughts, instead of paying attention to what actually is, is dysfunctional, irrational and leads to poor decisions and unhappyness.

You can also practice by actually listening to your mind. Don't try and force your thoughts to think in certain ways, it won't work. Simply pay attention to what thoughts and emotional patterns your mind is producing. Be curious, receptive, non-judging. If you can listen to your thoughts, there is a gap between you and them. You cease to be your thoughts, and so they loose some of their control over you.

Guided Mindfulness Practice