So Conor McGregor is a Top 10 Ranked Featherweight

sgotwalks - 
ChaosOverkill - 

Love me some Conor but it took Matt Brown what 7 straight and mostly  guys like Conor just beat rankwise to finally get a spot in the top 10?

Ya, and he lost 4 out of 5 before the win streak, so it was a matter of him evolving late in his career, where as Conor has entered the league looking like something pretty fucking impressive, and has easily disposed of three guys while putting his potential on full display for all to see. I'm sorry to say, but Jeremy Stephens is pretty one dimensional and I would put my steak on the Irishman to have his way with him. As it is now, I think he has already earned someone higher ranked, like Poirier, that will be a telling fight that ought to quiet a few of the nay sayers for a bit.

Rankings should be merit based, not hype based. Conor is very skilled but has yet to test those skills against ranked competition. He shouldn't be ranked #10, he hasn't earned it.

TheVileOne - People are upset about Conor McGregor, but what about Clay Guida ranked No. 7? He's 2-1 at featherweight in the UFC, and his lightweight record was hardly impressive.
Why didn't zuffa make Conor vs guida then?

Ohyea he has a "no wrestler" clause apparently Phone Post 3.0

caposa - 
sgotwalks - 
ChaosOverkill - 

Love me some Conor but it took Matt Brown what 7 straight and mostly  guys like Conor just beat rankwise to finally get a spot in the top 10?

Ya, and he lost 4 out of 5 before the win streak, so it was a matter of him evolving late in his career, where as Conor has entered the league looking like something pretty fucking impressive, and has easily disposed of three guys while putting his potential on full display for all to see. I'm sorry to say, but Jeremy Stephens is pretty one dimensional and I would put my steak on the Irishman to have his way with him. As it is now, I think he has already earned someone higher ranked, like Poirier, that will be a telling fight that ought to quiet a few of the nay sayers for a bit.

Rankings should be merit based, not hype based. Conor is very skilled but has yet to test those skills against ranked competition. He shouldn't be ranked #10, he hasn't earned it.

I can't really argue with what you say, only to say that I personally do believe he is top ten quality, easily, and therefore I have no issue with it myself. However, I hear you with regards to the integrity of the rankings format being called into question based on bias towards more marketable fighters. However, I do think this will quickly be forgotten in a few months once he gets one more fight under his belt. yes, I believe the hype, and I am pleased that we have somebody in the game who I feel like cheering for since most of my favorites have gone by the wayside, Fedor, Franklin, Chuck, Nick, Anderson, BJ, Brock..........I mean, fuck me, where have all the good times gone? 

Yet there is a lot of talent out there, but some of the newest big names to take over the vancancies on the pedestals have spend more time recovering from injuries than fighting and earning the mega fan base that is left scratching their heads sine the last generation of champions have wrapped up their careers. Personally, I am getting impatient waiting for someone I stokes me on fight night the way some of those guys did, and should Conor continue to win over top guys and impress the way he has, his personality and style if fighting are going to be just what the UFC needs right now, whether you love him or hate him, you will buy his PPV's to watch him fight!

epwar - 

LMAO!  Beat three guys not even in the top 20 = "You're top 10, son!"  

End thread. War Porier!!!

The rankings are just a popularity/whathaveyoudonelately contest.

60 guys vote on their list of the week and then it gets averaged out, that is why people move up and down the rankings without anything actually happening. An exciting interview will get the rankings moving, its a ridiculous system.

TheVileOne - 
ChaosOverkill - 
TheVileOne - People are upset about Conor McGregor, but what about Clay Guida ranked No. 7? He's 2-1 at featherweight in the UFC, and his lightweight record was hardly impressive.

I'd say being Pettis only loss in the UFC, depsite how he got it, is impressive enough.

That fight happened four years ago. You know who else beat Anthony Pettis? Bart Palaszewski. I don't think beating Anthony Pettis and what he did after that fight was enough to make him No. 7 at featherweight. Got a crummy win over Hatsu Hioki, got knocked out by Mendes, and then beat Kawajiri.

Kelvin Gastelum is also over-ranked.

A I said UFC

B I didn't use it as defence for rank, just that he has done something no one else has come close to with Pettis in the UFC, just arguing it is an impressive LW accomplishment. You don't like it? Your business.

EvilMaster - Face Palm
. Phone Post 3.0

Who cares he's pretty obviously top 10 material. Phone Post 3.0

He moves the needle. - DFW

I can't understand how he's above Burmudez. Phone Post 3.0

Even Fightmatrix has him ranked #10 (if you remove the 4 Bellator fighters in front of him). It isn't that big of a stretch for the UFC to put him there. Phone Post 3.0

Flexo - Who cares he's pretty obviously top 10 material. Phone Post 3.0
That meets Their naked? Or Conor is pretty? And I agree it's obvious Conor is top ten Phone Post 3.0

MayhemMatthews - I'd like to see him against Bermudez but then I'm a fan of his and followed him since tough. Phone Post 3.0
*since tuf imo Phone Post 3.0

These rankings just get worse and worse. How the fuck is Barboza top 10? Lost badly to Jamie Varner and Cerrone, should've had a draw with Castillo.

Gunnar shouldn't be top 15 either. You have to beat someone in the top 15 to be top 15, and you gotta beat someone in the top 10 to be top 10. Getting an impressive win seems to be all these dumbass journalists remember.

PhuckfaceMcGee - 
tonytr - These rankings just get worse and worse. How the fuck is Barboza top 10? Lost badly to Jamie Varner and Cerrone, should've had a draw with Castillo.

Gunnar shouldn't be top 15 either. You have to beat someone in the top 15 to be top 15, and you gotta beat someone in the top 10 to be top 10. Getting an impressive win seems to be all these dumbass journalists remember.
What if you are number 11, and someone in the top 10 retires or changes divisions?
Wouldn't you just move into 10th?
Or do you still have to beat someone in the 10 to move up?
Do they just leave a vacancy in the rankings by your method? Phone Post 3.0

I didn't say there weren't exceptions, smartass.

At this point, McGregor is top 15, and Barboza and Gunnar are top 20 in their respective divisions. That's how it should be anyways.

they meant to say top 10 hyped fighter, guys. don't take it too seriously.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - I can't understand how he's above Burmudez. Phone Post 3.0
Common opponent of Brandao, Connor smashed, Dennis got subbed and Holloway Connor dominated dennis got a split decision. Phone Post 3.0

I think it's more of a draw ranking. Common sense would say otherwise it wouldn't make sense for a fighter to be #10, if he hasn't fought anyone in the top 15.