so the nice old guy at the gym....

...who i happen to see and speak briefly with on a daily basis turns out to be current NY state boxing commissioner, ex-Manhattan supreme court judge, author of "Carlito's Way," and documented MMA-opposer, Edwin Torres. i've been calling him "Eddie" for the last 6 months. a retired NY cop filled me in on who he was yesterday at the gym. and Eddie...errr...Judge Torres...doesnt know that i worked in the MMA industry for almost a decade.

so, should i breach the MMA topic with him next time i see him? any suggestions of what, if anything, i should say to him about MMA in NY?

Nah. Let the man work out.

Choke him out and then when hes unconscious armbar him and fuck his elbow up.  Then soccer kick him a few times. 

Show him what happens when you oppose MMA.

Or try to convince him about how great our sport is with a well thought out point using real facts and specific examples.

One of those two.

lol...so it might come across as weird if i start a conversation with him while he's laying face down on that hamstring curl machine?

PatrickFreitas - lol...so it might come across as weird if i start a conversation with him while he's laying face down on that hamstring curl machine?
lol

at a legislative roundtable on the legalization of mma in nys last year, edwin torres freely admitted he knew jack shit about mma but said he was open-minded and eager to learn. he's not so much against mma from what i could tell. he just doesn't want the bad stuff he's seen in boxing happen in mma once it gets legalized.

torres is a commissioner, but melvina lathan is the chairperson and she's 100% gung ho about mma, so it's not like there's any issues within the nys athletic commission about legalizing mma.

that said, you should invite torres into the steam room for some of "this".

PatrickFreitas - lol...so it might come across as weird if i start a conversation with him while he's laying face down on that hamstring curl machine?

Old Man: **Straining out a forehead vein to bench press the bar.
Some Strange Dude: "I used to work in the MMA industry, bitch, represent, wat?"
Old Man: **Freaks out, drops bar on his neck.

It's up to you, I'm just sayin'.

Weird? No. Hot? Definitely.

Sounds like the perfect time to check and see if he is running a quart low.

Wait until he's peeing then stand at the urinal next to him and start the converstion.

Take pics.

BTW.....

Carlito's Way BOOK > Movie

That's acually a funny story. Never know who you can meet at the gym

Tell him to get onboard with MMA or this internet website you go to will band together and ruin his life.

What gym is this?

Might as well try to educate the old timer.

siouxNYC - at a legislative roundtable on the legalization of mma in nys last year, edwin torres freely admitted he knew jack shit about mma but said he was open-minded and eager to learn. he's not so much against mma from what i could tell. he just doesn't want the bad stuff he's seen in boxing happen in mma once it gets legalized.

torres is a commissioner, but melvina lathan is the chairperson and she's 100% gung ho about mma, so it's not like there's any issues within the nys athletic commission about legalizing mma.

that said, you should invite torres into the steam room for some of "this".

Great info. if I ever talk to Eddie about MMA I will take everything you said into account.

Nah just straddle his ass reverse cowboy and say "looked like you could use a spot"

ABE FROMAN - What gym is this?

I was afraid this question would come up...

Okay, its the McBurney YMCA on 14th Street in Manhattan, between 6th&7th ave. And - because I know someone will ask - yes, it is the same YMCA from the Village People hit song of the 70s. Well, sort of. Their YMCA closed and opened as the McBurney Y. And, no, there are no indians, cowboys, or bikers frolicking about. There are cops and construction workers, however...working out, not frolicking. Its not like what you may have seen in the movie, 'Can't Stop The Music' or in any Village People music videos.

The McBurney Y is actually really a nice place, a huge 2-level facility with full court basketball, boxing, an olympic pool...and a dance studio, which I've never been in.

DW -  Choke him out and then when hes unconscious armbar him and fuck his elbow up.  Then soccer kick him a few times. 

Show him what happens when you oppose MMA.

Or try to convince him about how great our sport is with a well thought out point using real facts and specific examples.

One of those two.

Not only oppose but Trane UFC 2.

PatrickFreitas - 
ABE FROMAN - What gym is this?

I was afraid this question would come up...

Okay, its the McBurney YMCA on 14th Street in Manhattan, between 6th&7th ave. And - because I know someone will ask - yes, it is the same YMCA from the Village People hit song of the 70s. Well, sort of. Their YMCA closed and opened as the McBurney Y. And, no, there are no indians, cowboys, or bikers frolicking about. There are cops and construction workers, however...working out, not frolicking. Its not like what you may have seen in the movie, 'Can't Stop The Music' or in any Village People music videos.

The McBurney Y is actually really a nice place, a huge 2-level facility with full court basketball, boxing, an olympic pool...and a dance studio, which I've never been in.
I know that gym, and I'm afraid that I've seen you post here before about how much time you spent in the dance studio, no need to lie about it now.

this thread just took a turn for the butter.....errr. i mean better.

Freudian slip?