Sonnen Claims Mayweather’s Japan Exhibition Matches are Fixed

Chael Sonnen doesn’t believe Floyd Mayweather Jr. and company are being truthful with the product being put out.

Mayweather is retired from professional boxing. However, since his final win against Conor McGregor in Aug. 2017 which saw him obtain a flawless 50-0, he’s performed in three exhibition matches. The first of the bunch came as a massive surprise when Mayweather found his way into Japan-based MMA giant RIZIN Fighting Federation. In that Dec. 2018 New Year’s clash atop RIZIN 14, Mayweather knocked out undefeated superstar kickboxing prodigy Tenshin Nasukawa in two minutes and 20 seconds.

This weekend at Super RIZIN on Sept. 25, the 45-year-old legend returns for a showdown with former RIZIN title challenger Mikuru Asakura. A majority of voices questioned the legitimacy of Mayweather vs. Nasukawa, and the aforementioned Sonnen remains in that boat this time around.

“Floyd is claiming he’s gonna get $20 million for this — I call it ‘rassling because they’re not actually [fighting] — but whatever they’re getting ready to do in Japan, whatever that is that’s going to look like boxing, he’s getting $8 million,” Sonnen said on his YouTube channel. “Now, eight is a beautiful number. But he claimed he was getting 20. So I feel because I know the real number, that I can’t let it go. I must come to you guys. I have a journalistic obligation to come and inform you it’s actually $8 million and he’s exaggerating.

“He going to do something — exhibition? They’re calling it something. He’s doing ‘little guys that are terrible.’ He’s getting good exposure making a bunch of money and he’s having a really good time. All of those things bother me. I don’t want him having a good time. No fighter gets to have fun. No fighter that’s 40 years old that isn’t doing actual fights, only pretending to go against terrible competition that can barely sell … I mean these guys can barely even pretend that they’re knocked out. It’s not all that good. They don’t get to have fun and make millions of dollars.”

Mayweather’s two matches that followed Nasukawa came against vastly different opponents. First, “Money” fought the physically much larger YouTube sensation Logan Paul to an eight-round no decision. This past May, he then went to Abu Dhabi for what wound up as another no decision against his old training partner Don Moore.

Not exactly ground breaking…Floyd’s whole persona is built around excess, of course he’s always exaggerated everything to do with money. He’s still made a fuck ton either way.

And exhibitions aren’t fights, they’re exhibitions so who even cares about them on any level, fixed or not?

9 Likes

Uncle Chael sounds jealous he hasn’t been offered the opportunity :rofl:

4 Likes

Cheal says a lot of dumb shit. He also said FLoyd is lying and is broke.

2 Likes

he cant stfu lately

2 Likes

Chael keeping Floyd trending

3 Likes

Chael likes to shit on Floyd, kinda like how he does with Jones

1 Like

He also always makes videos shitting on Nganou and Mike Tyson as welll.
I used to like Cheal, but fuck em.

3 Likes

Sonnen’s an idiot who doesnt understand the purpose of fixing fights. The point of fight fixing is to make money. Giving Floyd scrubs and fixing the fight in his favor is the complete opposite of how you would fix a fight. In fight fixing you set up the underdog to win so you can make a massive profit gambling.

3 Likes

If RIZIN were going to fix that fight it would have been for Tenshin to win so they had a bankable new star. No sense fixing a fight for a combat sports retiree.

2 Likes

they wouldn’t pay Floyd enough to lose, it would kill Floyds marketability and he can still make another 9 figures fighting if he wants to.

2 Likes

Here we are, reading it, point proven :moneybag:

1 Like

The first Japan fight looked fishy but this one was definitely not fixed lol

2 Likes

This one definitely wasn’t fixed. He took a few shots and that guy was trying to take him out.

1 Like

Tenshin fight wasn’t fixed either.

2 Likes

Chael is talking out of his ass which he’s known to do quite frequently. There’s nothing remotely fake about these matches. Why would a fighter of Floyd’s caliber need to fix fights against non-boxers?

3 Likes