Southpaw padwork?

You need to be more specific with your question to generate a better result. It also depends on the level of the fighter I am training as to what i will try to teach them, also do they have the ability to fight both ways? That leads to otehr possibilities in terms of movement and combos. Tell me what you are specifically after and I'll try to help you.

Chris        csasek@kineticmuaythai.com

H20Dragon

Yah, it's really more of a bob & weave than a slip. Orthodox crosses give me more headaches, oddly enough.
On one hand, if my footwork's working, they're probably not going to be throwing them. I think it's more the counter-right that I remember eating a lot of. I'd parry, 1-2; and the other guy would either slip or absorb my left cross & catch me with a cross.

BIC

You talking about the right cross or the left cross?
I read somewhere that fighting with a southpaw becomes a battle over who's got the busier lead hand.
Unless you're talking some kind of switch-stance or follow-up to a kick? Or did you mean the left cross? When it comes to leads, I don't know that I aggree with that quote; a lot of times in orthodox vs southpaw, the lead hands cancel each other out & if you use the lead to the body too much, then he's probably going to overwhelm you while you're temporarily immobile. With the left cross, unlike with orthodox fighters where leading off with the rear hand is too visible, it works for southpaws.

Err... normally wouldn't the 3 of us be discussing this in the "other" place? hehe

My coach will time my left cross and come back at me right over the top with his right while I'm bringing my hand back to my guard.

I edited my post. I meant his left cross. lol I said right cross out of habit.

orthodow guys will circle left, walking into the cross.

when you're going vs. a southpaw it's always a game of keeping your foot "ahead" of his in moving.. to control the angle.

and I still can't figure you "unnatural lefties" who are right handed, but stand right hand strong. (often wrestlers who adapt to standup)

I was taught to stand strong side forward in the wrestling. When I got into Boxing I was already used to that stance, so that's how I learned to Box.

ok, specifically I am trying to build a left handed equivilent of the padwork combos I have for righties.
Here are the basic combos:

jab

jab, jab

jab, cross

jab, cross, jab

jab, cross, hook

cross, hook, cross

hook, cross, hook

rear uppercut, hook, cross

body hook, hook, cross

jab, right cross, pause, right uppercut, left uppercut, cross

Covers:

jab, cover (jab the left mitt so the right is free to throw to make the person cover)

jab, cross, cover (j,c into right mitt, throw left to make them cover)

jab, cross, hook, cover (throw a right after the hook lands on the left mitt to make them cover)

Head movement:

Slip the straight right and return hook, cross, hook

Slip the jab and return cross, hook, cross

Jab, cross, bob/weave cross, hook, cross

Jab, cross, hook, bob/weave, hook, cross, hook

Jab, cross, hook, bob/weave hook, cross, bob/weave, cross hook

These combos seem to be standard for JKD guys, but there does not seem to be anything similar for us lefties.
Anyone want to try rewriting this for a left hander against an orthodox fighter? (edited for formatting)

whenever i get someone who is serious about improving their hands i switch them to southpaw. reason being is people throw horrible hands anyway when they initially start so their right side is no better than their left side. also, why not learn to be "hard to handle" from the beginning.

TTT

Not many lefties on this forum. I have to keep TTTing my own thread...

If you are doing pad drills then you should just flip them over for lefties. make your pad holders learn how to do the drill mirrored. It isn't that hard. You only need to make special drills if you have southpaws and ortho's working together in sparring drills, then you would modify each appropriately.

--"Right handed southpaw?"--

I think also that some instructors want their students to have a bit of an advantage so they switch them to southpaw... it does sort of freak some people out. :)

Anyhow- if y'all could post the combos up here that'd be great... it's sometimes useful for me to know these things so I can adapt my workout a little bit to be helpful to me too- sometimes the combos just DO NOT work for me (no logic to using it and hard to switch it easily). I get SO angry! I hate wasting a workout doing something useless for my purposes. :(

Chris, that is my whole problem, I don't know how to modify it appropriately. I posted the padwork I have for a right hander, care to take a stab at modifying it?

I really think that the angles, openings and possible counter punches available in a southpaw vs. orthodox senario demand a seperate set of padwork.

Does anyone want to take a stab at modifying the padwork from above?

interesting

I really think that the angles, openings and possible counter punches available in a southpaw vs. orthodox senario demand a seperate set of padwork.

yes and no.

as was said before, emphasises the advantage of the left cross. do do some drills that highlight it and learn to double up crosses. ex. jab-cross-hook-cross.

I like to start with the standard Jab, then jab cross, then jab cross hook. then I concentrate on keeping the hook tight (Regular stance guys need to loop the hook a little more to reach the opponent). Then it is Jab, cross, hook, Cross, hook. (The right hook and straight left hand are the good punches for south paws) Then Jad, cross, hook, uppercut, hook uppercut.

Then the grand daddy of 'em all Jab cross hook, cross hook, uppercutt hook.

Work some of these off the doouble and fake jab, then straight left hand to start the combos.

Go get 'em

oh yea, another good one is Jab cross, weave under your opponents hook, stepping a little to the right, then hook.

use the same combos and what not a righty would use only adapt them to your lefty stance.

in other words, a 1-2 for a right is left, then right. for a lefty it would be right jab followed by a left hand. (obviously, just making myself clear)

i have never seen or heard of any lefty specific workout in boxing.

cool! that is more of the stuff I was looking for.
I have actually heard of boxing coaches that "specialize" in training southpaws, just never seen one.

Have you tried switching the stance so your left hand is in front? I'm a lefty and I've always used an orthodox stance, I like the power it gives my lead hand. It did take longer to develop my right, but once I did I was able to use it to cut the ring off and throw a big left hook or uppercut.

Southpaws only require different routines if they are advanced. The fundamentals of muay thai (like the drills outlined above) are, well fundamental. These same drills work for lefties as well as righties.

Now that said if you are trying to create drills for lefties that utilize movement and such against righties then you want to start at the same place. EX: working off Right Cross

for orthos: parry with the left hand and step 45 degree angle to left, counter with Right Cross to body, Left Hook to head, Right Kick downward onto opponent's left thigh

for southpaws: cover and counter Left Kick to inside of opponent's left thigh, when kick lands plant foot do not return it (so you are in your opposite stance), Right Knee, again step forward and plant (now you're back in your normal stance), Left Cross, Right Hook, Left Cross (all head shots)

so like I just made that up and the point I was trying to make is that lefties will face the same attacks as orths from orth fighters, visualize what that attack looks like from the southpaw perspective and create drills that utilise the movement and attack angles of a southpaw