sport or street?!

What you are missing is the sarcasm, humor, and most importantly. . .context.

I am guessing you just didn't read all the reply's or understand the history of where those comments come from. At least I will give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

If you knew Paul at all you would realize how far off base your comment was. Paul is one of the few people who still struggles to make a positive difference in a bad area. Unlike most of us, myself included, who just move out and move on.

Perhaps you should shoot Paul Sharp and e-mail, or better yet, call him? If you want to know what the SBG way would be, that would be it. He is certainly reachable.

After you talk one on one then, then by all means post away. Of course you are free to do whatever you want, but that would certainly be a more honorable method, lend credence to your point, and what a 'fighter' would do.

-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com

hugs and kisses

Honestly I believe that there are legitimate bad ass systems, like the SBG guys. They train for sport, but will F**K you up in a street fight. Some dude thinking a bite or eye gouge will finish them is in for a big surprise. Then there are systems who think they will defend them selves in a realistic situation and are totally clueless. There are very few complete systems I've seen, realistic systems that deal with physical, mental and emotional aspects of fighting. Ones that are adaptable to a persons natural instincts and abilities and will work for the NHB fighter, all the way to the 35 year old pregnant woman.

Mr. Sharp and Mr. Thornton,

First, I know the title 'Mr.' goes against the informality of the gym, but I extend the title only as a show of true respect.

Please understand that my statement was not intended to be a blanket statement nor would I ever 'pot shot' another martial artist behind the safety of the internet.

In regards to your statement Matt ("that's what a fighter would do") I have overcome enough in my life to feel secure about that.

I have read the SBG philosophy, Matt, I have hardcopies of all of your Q&A'a and I agree with you wholeheartedly on all of your points. The one that sticks out most in my mind is the point that the only 'true peak spiritual experience' can be reached only through aliveness and athletic training.

I, too, trained in 'dead pattern' systems for quite some time, both for the 'self-defense' aspects and the spiritual aspects. I searched endlessly for the 'magic bullet', what I got was the magic bullshit! The spirituality was shallow, the confidence was false, and was shattered by alive training in boxing and BJJ much more recently.

I remember a statement you made, Matt, on your forum (not verbatim) that if you take someone who is a geek with low self-esteem and train him athletically, you will take him to a level of a happier, gentler human being. That, to me, is the ultimate martial artist, one with responsibility and respect for his art and for people, not feeling the need to prove anything. I respected what you said to a point that you would not believe because one of my pet peeves about martial arts nowadays is the lack of respect and near thuggery I see in some styles/schools, and the 'itch' that was such a stigma in martial arts schools in the past to go out and 'prove' your art. I don't know anyone involved with SBG but I frequently read this forum and am interested in all you say, so I have noticed that there is a high level of respect involved and know that you perpetuate that, and none of you seem like the type to feed off violence. That's why I was taken aback by what I read.

Paul, eventually I will call you. I may be moving to the Windy City and am excited about seeing what the SBG is about. Good Luck.

LJ

Thanks for the kind words LJ, I think when you meet Paul, or any other SBG'rs in person you will see what I mean.

-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com

You at the SBG and affiliates are now shaping a martial arts revolution that may be bigger than any in history. You are witnessing the restructuring and systemization of the 'original' martial arts, such as Pankrase, the ancient Egyptian arts, original Greco-Roman fighting, etc. These arts were broken apart, specialized (striking arts, grappling arts, wrestling arts, etc) then systemized (jujitsu, kung fu, etc) It's obvious by looking at the arts that they've been through alot! It's apparent that the systems were formed in desperate times by desperate people (hence capoeira-who the hell else would fight like this except slaves whose hands were shackled that were trying to disguise their art as a dance) I think that MMA is the OLDEST martial art, not the newest. I firmly believe that we are looking at the purest original form of ancient hand-to-hand fighting, reborn, and am so intrigued by what will happen next.

One of my biggest hopes is that the stigma behind the martial arts fades and people begin to see the beauty and benefit of MA training. I hope that people no longer think of Bruce Lee (the actor, not the martial artist) and WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH and people pulling each others hearts out and the movie the matrix and some little slanty-eyed guy breaking boards with his head, and people with 'numchuks'(sp). It's all sickening to me.

As you know the Martial arts are a vehicle of self-discovery and a method of looking into your inner mirror to the point where, as you put it, you can face down your own demons. I believe that martial arts training, done properly and taught by a solid, knowledgable teacher, can be a source of the deepest self-confidence and happiness, a source of serenity in a f*cked up world.

I hope that people who are leading this revolution (read SBG tribe), with all of their success, will perpetuate the philosophy and spiritual benefits that can be attained through training, as this, I believe, is orders of magnitude more important than really knowing how to fight.

We (martial artists) carry a responsibility to hold the good name of our system and teacher, whatever/whomever it/they may be, lest we find that, years from now, the general public still sees us as uneducated barbarians and the perception of the martial arts continues to remain distorted, and the progress of the martial arts, however great in the gym, continues to stagnate outside of it.

Outstanding posts bjjersey! You know the SBG camp is only about 6 weeks away. Still enought time to get some money together and make the trip out there to train with all of us. Matt, Chris Hauter and my brother Adam and myself will all be teaching. You can meet all (well almost all) the SBG instructors and see what it is really all about. We train hard, but most importantly we have a lot of fun. I hope that you can make it out.By the way, these posts are all way above my intellect, hence the reason why I don't respond with anything other than a shameless plug LOL. Who would have thought that a bunch of thug athletes could be so smart and well spoken. Must be all the "alive" conversation we have. No stagnant nouns and verbs here. And I dare you to find one "dead" preposition.Rory "I'm to sexy for this forum" Singer
The HardCore Gym, Inc.
Athens, GA

yes you are correct punk...but maybe there was a reason for that... LOL! But just for you I will go back and change it. By the way, can't wait to see you in March.

How about that. You can't edit a post with Html in it. Ain't that something. Oh, well.

Rory "I was once and English major" Singer

the world is not your personal comedy central mister, its real out here....little more cream in my latte' please, now, what was I saying...

I said I was once an English major, you know full well that I am an engineer. So there will be no pouring of cream in your latte. But I will buy you a beer at Eagles when we are in Portland.

uneducated thug

-Paul "thugs up, ho's down" Sharp

"Cram" has something to do with Eagles...at least that's what Rory told me.

-Luis

Goes to show how much you know about me Adam. I am strictly a KY man. So there.

HEY, PAUL, I NEVER USED THE WORD THUG TO DESCRIBE ANYONE IN THE SBG. MAYBE GENE DID BUT I DID NOT, OKAY?

So, do you want me to call you or not?

"TOO"

knucklehead

bjjersey,
Heck yeah, give me a call or shoot an e-mail to me at sbg_il@hotmail.com with your number and I'll call you.

My plans to go out have been brought to a screeching halt by my nine month old daughters fever. My wife wouldn't even think of leaving one of our kids with a sitter when they are sick so I'm not going to push it, if you know what I mean.

-Paul "fully domesticated" Sharp

www.straightblastgymillinois.com