Sportfight results + pics

"It's true he really doesn't want to hurt other fighters, but he is going to learn how to"

Welcome to Team Quest. We will teach you to put the beatdown on people while you enjoy yourself in the process. Now would you like three lumps or four?

Sovann, you can probably shed some light on this subject...lately the topic of religious fighters has come up both on the boards and in conversations I've had. What are your thoughts on this? Horwich is another guy, in his interviews he says "I'm trained by the Lord...and Team Quest." It does seem to affect his fighting style perhaps, as The Law just said he doesn't really want to hurt anyone.

I also know that you were going back and forth for awhile about whether or not you wanted to keep fighting, though I don't know if that was part of the issue at all. What are your thoughts on this?

Matt is just a super nice guy and he is very spiritual. I think he would be nice even if he wasn't religious but I don't think his religion makes him not want to hurt anyone. He is just a class act and would like to show some skill instead of going for the brutal KO. I am guessing he will be hitting hard in the future.

That being said I don't think Glover did enough to take the strap, but I am not a judge. It has always been my understanding that the challenger has to be really impressive to win the belt by decision. Although Glove definately had the edge in standup he was constantly fighting off sub attempts on the ground and I gave Matt the overall edge in ground fighting. Just my two cents, which may be more than it is worth.

Hi Brad,

The issue of Christian involvement in martial arts is a controversial one. When I first started doing karate the question was does a Christian have a right to defend themselves?
Bible-believing Christians disagree on a lot of things: watching rated R movies, politics, worship style, etc. There is no chapter and verse about whether or not is kosher to do MMA, the 13th commandment is not thou shalt not drop forearms on the domes of your fellow human being. There are verses about how we are to treat each other, lots of them. There is a lot of debate about pacificism vs. just war. The key thing (I just read this yesterday in church) is love. All the commandments can be summed up "Love thy neighbor as thyself."
Some Christians against MMA don't understand how punching in the face is "loving". And they never will. I could go on and on, but bottom line, God is concerned with the intent of your heart. What might be okay for someone before God might not be okay for another. Just like someone recovering from alcohol may not have the freedom to take another drink because it feeds into the dark areas of their hearts. While their friend is able to drink with a clean conscience.
MMA is a sport. It is a great sport. It is the ultimate in one-on-one competition. Will God judge you for your participation in it? He's more concerned with your spiritual well-being. It is hard not to get caught up in anger, power, control, ego, etc in MMA. When I was training I was absolutely obsessed with getting better, etc. That is not cool with God. God wants first place in our lives. Enough rambling, I have a paper I wrote about my addiction to MMA I'll send you if you like. See ya.

nice post Sovan. there definately is a lot of disagreement among Christians. Disagreement is good- w/o it we would never have to fight!
j/k

Horwich was at practice tonight he is going be be a better and stronger fighter from his loss we can't wait to have Glover back he is real tough guy and a class act

ttt

I swear we have to call Matt the "terminator"...no matter what you do he keeps coming after you! Loses a grueling decision and two days later he is in the gym banging with some of the toughest guys on the planet...the hardest working man in mma!