Squats and DL's are bad for you...

long term.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1404712

Interesting article. I'll catch flack for this, but I agree somewhat with Boyle. Of course I squat and dl, but I think there will come a time when I leave them out for other exercises.

He's got a good point, that using really heavy weights isn't always the best idea. I think squatting and deadlifting is safe as long as a person uses good form and doesn't get carried away chasing numbers.

I could easily make an argument that some of his choices are not good for you.

Example, he recommends the O-lifts. Nuff said.

TAKU

I think he'd agree. It seems to me that excessive maximal loading is his problem since he mentioned a bench related injury too. The question is when does it become "excessive".

I think its a question of degree. I read the original article and he was talking about professional athletes.

I think he found that some 180 lb athlete was working front squats with 315 and this was better given his age than working with the 400+ or whatever as there was less force on the spine doign back squats.

At 190 my paltry 5 reps of 225-275 with squats and DLs feel like a balance of safety and benefit. I'm 40...can I work up to much heavier poundage? Sure, I have before...but what i took away from the article is how much benefit am I goint to get by doing so vs risking injury.

I dont think that DLs and squats are bad for you. 500lbs+ DLs and squats on the other hand...

Why 500? Why not 700?

Or whatever. I ask this because I have squatted and DL'd over 500 lbs; I've also gotten injured doing dips with no added weight. Yes, form problem -- but I'm just wondering why a particular weight might be seen as the limit.

All of which is to say, I think you'll have problems squatting 200 lbs with bad form, and not have problems squatting 500 lbs properly.

I somewhat agree with Mr. Boyle.

Most adults who are at the gym are so deconditioned that they have no business whatso ever of doing heavy squats and deadlifts simply because they don't know how and their connective tissues are prepared for the stress.

Most athletes should use heavy back squats and deads sparingly simply due to the cost to benefit ratio. Yes they could get stronger faster with heavy deads or back squats but the chances of suffering an injury and setting back their athletic training.

And Ali makes a great point. The two serious injuries I suffered in the past year occurred due to overtraining with bodyweight exercises. A torn pec while hanging from a pull up bar and trying to stretch my lower back after overtraining my upper body with ring dips the previous 2 weeks and a pulled hamstring while sprinting with my dog at the football field after doing natural glute ham raises the previous day.