Standing strangles?

Hey Josh, I understand about the IJF publication. Problem is, what they are calling Kawazu Gake isn't really Kawazu Gake. I know, I'm an arrogant know it all bastard for disagreeing with the IJF, but I know I'm correct in the traditional Judo definition of the throw. Basically, you can't use kawazu (leg entanglement)for the Khabarelli type throw the IJF describes, and you described that pretty accurately.

Vacation was good, but my wife had to deliver a baby on Christmas Day! Then she had another one to do the next day, so Christmas was kind of broken up. Sky, our son, is doing great, just turned 4 months old and he is of course the most perfect child in the world!

She is taking next week off, so I get to play (Judo, fishing and hunting!). Then we go to Bonner's Ferry, ID for 2 weeks (rural rotation). Wish me luck on not going crazy in a town of 2000 with no Judo and probably no computer, living in a hotel room with a 4 month old (albeit perfect 4 month old).

Ben R.

i wish you all the luck in the world on that one. ya know, best buy has some nice laptops on sale for about $700 now. lot of computer for the money.. =)

do you ski or snowboard? if so going to ID might now be such a rough haul afterall...

i also know what you mean about KG not being what the IJF technically says it is. Mr. Uchida had a rough one with that too. he called them stupid morons, but fully understood what they were trying to say.

-resnick

The one I learned you did not cross grip the lapels, but got highish lapel grips on either lapel. You then put your outside leg over the back of uke's neck. Jacques Legrand taught it as well as part of a shime waza kata that Kawaishi developed

Ben: I believe the strangulation that you are referring to is Kensui-Jime (suspension strangle). We have it in our blue belt syllabus that's based on the Kawaishi system; it's Kawaishi's 11th strangulation. The grip is, as you say, not crossed but similar to an eri-jime grip.

Welcome back to the forum but with hunting/fishing et al,it sounds like you are still on vacation :) Glad to hear that wife and Sky are doing well.

"i wish you all the luck in the world on that one. ya know, best buy has some nice laptops on sale for about $700 now. lot of computer for the money.. =)
do you ski or snowboard? if so going to ID might now be such a rough haul afterall..."

Hey, I've lived in Idaho for a little over 2 years now. We have several inches of snow on the ground right now. I prefer snowshoeing, though. Cross country skiing is good, downhill scares me because of the potential for serious knee damage. Once ACL recon was enough for me.

I'll be taking my snowshoes to Bonner's Ferry for sure, plus fishing gear.

LOL at buying a laptop for myself! I think I'll be able to use a computer at the hospital for my daily Internet fix. Maybe they have a library in BF too, with any luck.

"i also know what you mean about KG not being what the IJF technically says it is. Mr. Uchida had a rough one with that too. he called them stupid morons, but fully understood what they were trying to say.

-resnick "

LOL! I can just here him saying it "Stupid Morons", with a big dose of Uchida contempt.

Ben R.

"The one I learned you did not cross grip the lapels, but got highish lapel grips on either lapel. You then put your outside leg over the back of uke's neck. Jacques Legrand taught it as well as part of a shime waza kata that Kawaishi developed"

Ben: I believe the strangulation that you are referring to is Kensui-Jime (suspension strangle). We have it in our blue belt syllabus that's based on the Kawaishi system; it's Kawaishi's 11th strangulation. The grip is, as you say, not crossed but similar to an eri-jime grip."

Damn, I looked it up in A-Z of Judo but didn't put in the name in the post. Thanks for fixing that! It is called "strangle number such and such" in the Kawaishi system.

Welcome back to the forum but with hunting/fishing et al,it sounds like you are still on vacation :) Glad to hear that wife and Sky are doing well."

Thanks, Sojourner. Next week I get the entire week off, so I an focus on the last few days of the seasons that are left. Sky and the wife are doing great, to say the least.

Ben R.

Kensui-Jime

Nice post, Sojourner. Only difference for me is that the inside leg would be controlling uke's hip, dangling out in space.

Ben R.

I guess there should be a third picture there. The strangulation wouldn't be applied until the outside leg clamps down over uke's neck and the inside leg blocking and keeping him in place.

Years back, I saw Carlos Newton beat Alex Ciupe in a grppling tourn in Toronto by taking his back standing and putting a choke on. The move would have been illegal in judo as he both climed up on the back and fell backwards on his own back once the choke was on.

Alex is often seen in the highlight reels getting tossed by Koga's sode in the 1993 worlds but has placed 5th in the Olympics for Romania and remains a strong player for Canada today.

It looks like a jujigatame (in #2)

Koga,
Cuipe is a complete badass. the man has moved from -71kg all the way up to 100kg. thing is, he still wins against very good players.
i remember in 99 he just ham-slammed morris at the rendezvous with a beautiful deashibarai. i swear, if it wasnt for canada being so amazingl good at -90 and -100 kg with morgan and gill he would be the top guy at either of those weights.

-resnick

There are ways to take the back standing and apply a choke legally in shiai. They would be "off the grip" type moves surprise attacks. If you look at the Goshin Jutsu you can figure out some methods from there. If you miss the strangle, you can do a takedown to a pin. Or, do the famous "drop em from behind throw" that is in the Goshi Jutsu and the Koshiki No Kata.

I thought about working of a couple of entries to do ion randori, and see if they might work in shiai. Never got around to it, though.

Ben R.