Steven Nelmark v Tai Bowden - UFC 9 unaired prelim

https://youtu.be/ZJfyZ8T8x-k

I think Bowden was the one and only representative of the >

Nelmark was a big, athletic dude but never returned after being folded in half by Tank.

Bring back Rich 'The G Man' Goins!

I wonder whatever happened to Nelmark. I heard a rumor that he went around claiming that he was never actually unconscious. The punch just disrupted a part of the brain responsible for body movement. So in other words, he got hit so hard that he was momentarily completely paralyzed, but he wasn't "knocked out." I guess that's a distinction he felt the need to make. 

3 Likes

Sounds a lot like a knockout...

He took a tremendous beating at the hands of Tank.  And in such a short fight too.

Surprised he didn't ever fight again though.  He had previously won two fights and had a decent set of skills.

nrallen -

Nelmark was a big, athletic dude but never returned after being folded in half by Tank.

Holy shit the camera angles sucked so bad. I'm glad they figured it out. 

thers a good old one scott morris first fight vs a 18 year old tkd kid

post that

i tried so hard to find freek hammaker vs thadeus luster, early sambo in the ufc...

jesus that fight sucked

ranier, both are those are now on Fight Pass in HD - you have to search to find them though as not everything is properly listed on that shitty website/app.

Since we are on the subject of early UFC fighters who disappeared, anybody remember Alex "The Chief" Hunter? I want to say he fought around UFC 14/15. He won two tournament alternate fights and looked like he had some potential, and then he was gone forever. 

Marcello Mello is another who comes to mind from that era. Think he was one and done. 

Tai Bowden was horrible LOL

Vrill -

Since we are on the subject of early UFC fighters who disappeared, anybody remember Alex "The Chief" Hunter? I want to say he fought around UFC 14/15. He won two tournament alternate fights and looked like he had some potential, and then he was gone forever. 

Marcello Mello is another who comes to mind from that era. Think he was one and done. 

Another that comes to mind is Stephen Graham. He was 300lb and very athletic, lost to Couture and never returned. 

Alex Hunter was a weird one. Was 2-0 and never fought again. 

nrallen -
Vrill -

Another that comes to mind is Stephen Graham. He was 300lb and very athletic, lost to Couture and never returned. 

Alex Hunter was a weird one. Was 2-0 and never fought again. 

The only thing I ever heard about Stephen Graham after UFC 13 was that he was booked for another tournament spot in UFC 15 but dropped out with an injury. 

There was some bald “Kung Fu” guy who never used Kung Fu, but he won some matches

:looking it up:

Joel Sutton

Ryan Parker was some pressure point guy, big kid…he lost

Scott Bazak some Lion’s Den dude, knew one technique, the guillotine. I read he got disgusted after a bout and went back to working at Home Depot.

I thought Tank Killed Nelmark when he KO’ed him at the Ultimate Ultimate 2.

FreakDaddy - I thought Tank Killed Nelmark when he KO'ed him at the Ultimate Ultimate 2.

Dude, everyone did. I remember watching that with my family and we went from cheering on the action to total stunned silence when Nelmark dropped with his neck bent up on the cage. I thought I had just paid to see a man die. 

Do you have any of the prelims from UU95 or UU96 ?  

jcblass - There was some bald "Kung Fu" guy who never used Kung Fu, but he won some matches

:looking it up:

Joel Sutton

Lol I reme,ber seeing small clips of Suttons fights…he was basically a sloppy tough brawler type

Vrill - 

I wonder whatever happened to Nelmark. I heard a rumor that he went around claiming that he was never actually unconscious. The punch just disrupted a part of the brain responsible for body movement. So in other words, he got hit so hard that he was momentarily completely paralyzed, but he wasn't "knocked out." I guess that's a distinction he felt the need to make. 

I bet it’s very hard on the ego to win a few fights and then pretty much get knocked into paralysis by Tank…I’m sure his family and friends urged Nelmark to stop fighting after that

Nelmark did seem to be a pretty strong dude though with decent skills… It just goes to show you how tough Tank was back in the day

When Bowden !ost his mouthpiece a few shots to the teeth would have been in order.

Onassis Parangaro vs Fang Maturi was a hilarious early prelim fight.

nrallen -

Gman was a long time staple of Denver Radio on the Lewis and Floorwax morning show.  

Good fight. I'd never seen it.  Yes Tank was a scary fucker. For sure. Â