Still Wear Weight Belts?

How heavy is heavy for you though bud?

American Icon - I never use one. When I squat or deadlift heavy all of the gym experts come rushing over to tell me to use a belt. I tell them that I prefer to use the one I was born with and point at my abs.

Thank god I don't have that kind of help at the gym.  Now I wish I could only convince the population to A) not unload my bar/take over my station and B) not pile their shit on an unused bench, seat, piece of equipment or the dumbells.

Ever since I hurt my back, yes.

I don't wear one now, but now I don't lift heavy singles and doubles. When I did, sure I wore a belt for the exercises that would torque or vertically load the spine. So for heavy Deads, Rows, and Squats, sure.

I use belts if Im squatting or deadlifting heavy If I want to do some light squats for reps I will not use a belt to strenghthen my core

Leigh - i've stopped wearing one this week - is back at more risk if i lift heavy?

Very much so IMO.

I haven't worn a belt since I was 17 and squat 240kg in strict form.

If someone told me to put a belt on, I'd probably die of shock. I don't even wear shoes when I'm squatting...

Squatdog - I haven't worn a belt since I was 17 and squat 240kg in strict form.

If someone told me to put a belt on, I'd probably die of shock. I don't even wear shoes when I'm squatting...

Right on.  I'll do stiff legged deads with 405-lbs, squat up to 450-lbs, bent over rows with up to 260 and have never needed a belt.

I use my belt to hang weights off of me for weighted pull ups and dips.

I'm not squatdog strong but squat in the mid 4s and pull at the mid5s and haven't used a belt after the age of 16 or so. Of course now I'm fat but I think that beer has more to do with that than a lack of belt. Maybe I should always wear a belt under my clothes to lessen the visual effects of beer..?

Haven't worn one in over a decade... I do even my heaviest squats and deads without a belt. I've read articles which cite science on both sides of the issue, but I just don't feel the need for it. I can squat and dead at or near my max without hurting myself, based on my past experience, so I just don't bother.

inf0 -  belts are shit, I never wore one when I was squatting 405 for reps or banging off 315 for sets of 10 ass to heel... or even deading over 5plates..... all without hardware.. and benching? why in the fuck would you wear a belt for bench?

If you can't lift it without accessories, why lift it at all.

Belts & straps suck.

Straps do NOT suck.

If you are lifting heavy weights(deadlifting for example)your grip should ALWAYS fail before your prime movers do.your back can handle a lot more weight than your hands can.

Therefore straps are needed.

I haven't dropped a deadlift due to grip weakness. As long as the bar is half decent I can hold on to anything that I can pull.

My grip never fails before the rest of my body. Everyone is different though.

voorhees - 
inf0 -  belts are shit, I never wore one when I was squatting 405 for reps or banging off 315 for sets of 10 ass to heel... or even deading over 5plates..... all without hardware.. and benching? why in the fuck would you wear a belt for bench?

If you can't lift it without accessories, why lift it at all.

Belts & straps suck.

Straps do NOT suck.

If you are lifting heavy weights(deadlifting for example)your grip should ALWAYS fail before your prime movers do.your back can handle a lot more weight than your hands can.

Therefore straps are needed.

I used to have this problem occasionally until I learned to use a hook grip. Not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it works! Working your grip (Captians of Crush grippers, pinch gripping, farmer's walks, hangs, etc.) really helps too. FWIW if you do any sort of wrestling--especially with a gi-- a strong grip is very, very useful.

Straps are good for doing Heavy Clean or Snatch Pulls and especially good when performing dynamic lifts like Fast Snatch Pulls etc.

I'll only use a double overhand grip for the deadlift so I have to use straps when it gets to 300 +. There's too high of a risk of a bicep pull using the mixed grip.

Leigh - ^ I've NEVER had that or heard of anyone else having it. the worst i get is a sore elbow due to my radius and ulnar being fused (a bit of a defect)

I think you are missing out on massive strength gains by not using a mixed grip

Happened to a friend of mine and if you have a look on youtube there's quite a few examples of it. If you train your forearms separately I don't see what you'd be missing out on?

Why not use a hook grip if you want to deadlift with an overhand grip? That's what Oly lifters do IIRC.

I actually do this pretty regularly since my elbow got popped in a grappling tourney a few years back. Pulling with an alternate grip seems to aggravate it.

I use a hook, thumbless grip for barbell rows it really hits the back nicely with that grip for me.

RyPuhnie - I use a hook, thumbless grip for barbell rows it really hits the back nicely with that grip for me.

That's not a hook grip. I know exactly what you're talking about, but an actual hook grip requires the thumb. Google "hook grip" and you'll see what I'm talking about.