Still Wear Weight Belts?

Yea basic oly lifting 101, just wrapping your grip around the thumb. I never knew the term, I just called it the oly grip haha. Now I know. What I do is just use my hands a hook, thats why I called it a hook grip. But yea im not sure now what its called. I use it for lat pull downs also. Really isolates the back. Ill see if I can find out the name

Thumbless grip..I think..haha. False Grip? Best I can find.

Thanks for letting me know though Ronin, ive been calling it the wrong thing for a long time.

np, like I said, I knew what you were referring to. I don't use it but I have in the past

My hands are too small to use a hook grip ><

Squatdog, it's hard to imagine someone who puts up #'s like yours being too small. lol I still over/under my heavier pulls, to tell the truth. My thumbs feel like they're going to rip off around 400, 440 is the most I've done hook. Anything heavier I switch grip.

I have very small hands, which makes it impossible to hook grip an Olympic bar (I can with the women's 15kg bar, but that's another story).

They're thick-fingered, dextrous little hands with a very strong grip, but too simply small to hook grip.

No I don't use one. Don't want to rely on something external because if/when I do need to lift for something functional (outside of the gym), then I don't want my back to not have a clue what to do.

Squatdog - I have very small hands, which makes it impossible to hook grip an Olympic bar (I can with the women's 15kg bar, but that's another story).

They're thick-fingered, dextrous little hands with a very strong grip, but too simply small to hook grip.

I haven't used a belt in 2 years and have yet to suffer a back injury (knocks on wood) in fact I noticed a considerable overall difference in my core stabilizer muscles since dropping the belt. In fact, last time I got injured I was in fact wearing a belt.

J.C. Santana, head of the Institute for Human Performance states that the use of a belt hinders the overall development of the core muscles, yes you should work your abs and spinal erectors individually, but your weight training should resemble competition in as many ways as possible.

Also, the University of Nebraska (amongst a few other college teams) doesn't allow their athletes to lift using a belt (unless the athlete has a slight injury) the rationale is the same, they don't compete (i.e.-play football) wearing a belt, how does wearing one in the weight room really benefit you.

Only in strength sports (Powerlifting, Olympic Lifting, Strongman) wear a belt is part of the gear used in competition and the movement of incredibly large amounts of weight over short periods would I consider a belt necessary.

When my belted squat goes up so does my non belted squat. Figure that one out.

Research would suggest that I would be crushed without my belt but its not the case.

I do agree though, practice how you play.

Leigh - The no-belt training is going fantastically - I don't think I'll ever use a belt again. Had to start of light but I feel so much better now, without that girdle holding me in place

I do NOT recommend just taking it off and trying to max out though - the technique is a bit different. There was a good article posted by someone (can't remember name) about the problems with a belt teaching bad form etc. From my brief experience without a belt and extensive experience with a belt, I think it was pretty accurate

Yup.

There is absolutely no reason to use a belt for anything other than maximal lifts.

I literally haven't worn a belt since I was 18.

Most regular guys at the gym has no clue about intra-abdominal-preassure and therefore doesn't even know how to use the belt. The hardcore-lifters use IAP to up their performance in the lifts, that's why belts are helpful for them, me I'm the other way around, I use the lifts to learn about IAP, so a belt doesn't do me any good.

I have no idea what IAP is but assume it has something to do with holding your breath whilst squatting.

The preassure in your abdomen helps strength and stability. If you wear a belt you can just push against the belt as hard as you can to maximize the preassure. Without belt your transversus abdominis-muscle holds the gut in and you press against it from the inside to build up preassure. So you train your TVA to sustain preassure, thereby creating stability and strength, but if it's not up to the job (it's not as strong as a weightlifting-belt) it can be a limiting-factor for the max-lift. Right...?

I've never even given that a thought.

It sounds kind of...wierd.

Just my limited understanding of it. I know you guys are way more experienced lifters than me, so anyone who wears a belt for heavy lifts, please spread some light...

androushka - Just my limited understanding of it. I know you guys are way more experienced lifters than me, so anyone who wears a belt for heavy lifts, please spread some light...

On a human body,your lower back/lower abdomen is one the most structurally weak areas of its entire composition.

it is by nature smaller and narrower than your hips and thighs and your shoulders and upper body.

and this narrow structure is unfortunately designed to bend and is the focal point of a lot of weight.

You can of COURSE train your abdomen to adapt to a certain ext.But it will never be as proportionally strong or as adapted to handle a super heavy weight as say your quads are for example.

I also strive to have as small of a midsection as possible,making my lower torso even more vulnerable.

I suppose those fat ass powerlifters who weigh like 375 lbs at 5'9", their lower torsos might be a little more protected because of their huge ridiculous looking guts,but guess what?They ALL wear belts too.

Not wearing a belt for a heavy ass squat or deadlift because you think you dont need it,is like not wearing a protective cup in a kickboxing match cuz you think you will never get kicked in the groin.

Good luck w/that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ikyBAQr8&feature=channel_page

Yes Konstantinov, you better just cut this shit out now.

I know the excuses that are coming. "Ya but he's a freak"
Its true, but I still dont think anyone NEEDS a belt.

I think peoples egos NEED a belt more than anything. I will be happy to give away my belt when im done with powerlifting.

voorhees -

Good luck w/that.

Thanks.  15 years and counting with absolutely no back issues whatsoever.  I squat, deadlift,  SLDL, power clean and BO rows every week fairly heavily.

Not wearing a belt for a heavy ass squat or deadlift because you think you dont need it,is like not wearing a protective cup in a kickboxing match cuz you think you will never get kicked in the groin.

Totally different.

Training raw develops your core and improves focus on technique without relying on a crutch. I've been squatting 500lb+ woth no belt and in bare feet for the last 12 years.