Stop with the throw in the towel BS.

Seriously though. If a fighter is in a fight and getting demolished then they themselves should realize they should quit.

There's always a swingers chance in a fight. I'm sure JDS felt he could crack Cain one good time and put him to sleep. Which he very well could have.

I think it sucks that someone could lose the fight foe you by throwing in the towel. If you've ever been in a fight you know if you are winning or losing. You should know when to tap to strikes just like any submission.

But fans should realize the one attribute that they don't put on the tale of the tape. Heart. Phone Post

RobinHood - ^ Arm chair warrior. Phone Post

Thats not what your mom said, bitch. Phone Post

I'm telling my mom on you. Phone Post 3.0

PatrickVilone -

Oooooooh shit. Epic comeback... Phone Post 3.0

PatrickVilone - 

AND the Douche Award goes to.....

If you are in a fight you know if you are winning or losing unless you have a major concussion and are running on auto pilot. I know guys who have had this happen and they don't remember whole rounds even. It sucks to do, but if a corner knows their fighter is severely compromised, dilated pupils or not being able to answer basic questions, then the corner should throw in the towel. I've done it, no shame, and never had a fighter come back and blame me for their loss afterwards. Most are thankful you did what they wouldn't.

Any of you questioning the reasoning of throwing in the towel need to remember just one name.....

Apollo Creed.

/Thread Bitches

Follow the money. Cornerman throws in the towel, his fighter might axe him, other fighters may not trust him, etc. Because lets face it, guys with a lot of heart are one big punch away from the greatest comeback of the year.....especially a heavy hitter like JDS.

OP has absolutely no fucking idea what he is talking about.  He hasn't been in a fight since grade-school by the monkey-bars.

I have quite a bit of personal experience in scraps and getting injured.  It was part of my job description.

I have never, ever known how hurt or injured I was in the middle of a fight.

Never.  Not one time. 

That is exactly why you need a trusted cornerman in a combat sport, because you sure as fuck cannot assess personal damage while in the fight.

The reason I'm getting sick of hearing about all this throw in the towel nonsense is because its literally in the rules that you are not allowed to throw the towel in. Phone Post 3.0

dbeedy - The reason I'm getting sick of hearing about all this throw in the towel nonsense is because its literally in the rules that you are not allowed to throw the towel in. Phone Post 3.0

Incorrect sir.

It is not addressed in the rules at all.  No mention of doing it, not doing it, the ref respecting it, the ref ignoring it.

No mention at all.

Yet, every time I have seen it happen, the ref stops the fight immediately.  I've never seen a ref ignore a white towel flying into the ring.

One UG'er commented (paraphrased) that it is a blatant foul by the corner to throw anything into the ring, therefore DQ'ing the fighter immediately.  Don't know if that is accurate or not.

It is really strange as fuck.

pulvera - If you are in a fight you know if you are winning or losing unless you have a major concussion and are running on auto pilot. I know guys who have had this happen and they don't remember whole rounds even. It sucks to do, but if a corner knows their fighter is severely compromised, dilated pupils or not being able to answer basic questions, then the corner should throw in the towel. I've done it, no shame, and never had a fighter come back and blame me for their loss afterwards. Most are thankful you did what they wouldn't.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's it, that's all that needs to be said. Too many fighters have suffered as a result of showing to much heart, they don't always know what's best for themselves. When fighters are in the condition pulvera described, it's dangerous to their longterm health to continue, even if they want to do so.

The last thing we need is an MMA equivalent of the Nigel Benn - Gerald McClellan fight...it destroyed both of them in different ways.

If you don't know the fight I'm referring to, check this out, it's a sobering read.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2011/dec/02/nigel-benn-gerald-mcclellan-fight

Herman Munster - 

it's funny how GSP is a quitter becuase he tapped to strikes when Big John was late stopping the fight, GSP was nearly unconscious and getting his brain bombed away on, and to this day, people still bring it up as if it's a slight against him that he tapped.  Even though he came back to reclaim the title and defend it 8 straight times, people are still finding opportunity to make light of him once tapping to strikes.

Meanwhile, you have all these newly found advocates for throwing in the towel because Dana came out and said something in his quest to promote the holy image of the UFC.   The comical quest he seems to be on lately.  

JDS was still in the fight at the end of round 3.  He was actually starting to look effective with his short elbows, and that fight not being stopped was absolutely not surprising at all.  If JDS corner stopped the fight like say at the end of round 3, it's very unlikely all these new advocates appearing out of no where would have suddenly showed up to applaude his corner, and more than likely it would have been questioned for years to come by the overwhelming masses.  

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.  JDS's corner is not to blame in this at all.  JDS took a beating, that's the price to be paid in a HW title fight.  It doesn't look good for the UFC's image if fighters take unnecessary brain damage and this will be something that the UFC will be scrutinized over for years to come in the future, so Dana is preparing and already executing his strategy of passing the blame to the corners. 

I can just hear it now, when Dana and the UFC are before congress, their defense will be " it's all the corners fault"  "we really are a safe sport"  Good fuckin luck.

Good post!

It really is a "damned if you do, damned if you dont" grey area.

As for GSP, it wouldn't be help against him if it was widespread, which as you said, is not. BJ Penn quit on his stool against him. I don't think he would have got shit for it if he didn't mouth that this fight was to the death...

JDS took one hell of a beating, it's sad really, but I do agree he still had a puncher's chance, his short elbows were becoming a good offense, which could have rocked Cain enough for real power shots follow ups. Who knows? I don't think anyone would have cried if JDS didn't rise for Rnd 4 but, hey, the fight game is brutal. It's not chess or tennis.

"
The last thing we need is an MMA equivalent of the Nigel Benn - Gerald McClellan fight...it destroyed both of them in different ways.

If you don't know the fight I'm referring to, check this out, it's a sobering read.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2011/dec/02/nigel-benn-gerald-mcclellan-fight"

That's a fight I won't forget. It's an object lesson for anyone who wants to get involved in combat sports in my opinion, Whether they be a ref, cornerman, or a fighter themselves. Yes it is a brutal sport, but know the history of it (and other applicable combat sports) and take advanatge of lessons learned.

I haven't seen the JDS fight in particular, so I cannot comment on whether it should have been stopped, but just to the general concept of a corner throwing in the towel if it gets to the situation like it was in Benn-Mcclellan.

RobinHood - 
dbeedy - The reason I'm getting sick of hearing about all this throw in the towel nonsense is because its literally in the rules that you are not allowed to throw the towel in. Phone Post 3.0

The unified rules mentions nothing about throwing in a towel or any object for that matter. You talking bollocks. Phone Post

Yes, they do: http://www.abcboxing.com/unified_mma_rules.html

However, specifically in Texas, where 166 took place, literally throwing in the towel is a foul, but the corner can surrender their fighter by signalling the ref at any time:
http://www.tdlr.state.tx.us/sports/sportsrules.htm
61.43. Responsibilities of Seconds. (Amended effective December 1, 2003, 28 TexReg 10445; amended effective February 1, 2006, 31 TexReg 481; amended effective December 1, 2007, 32 TexReg 8470)

(a) Each contestant must have two seconds unless the Department permits otherwise. Each contestant shall have one chief second.

(b) The seconds shall dress neatly.

(c) Seconds shall keep their corners clean, dry, and free from objects.

(d) Seconds may surrender for their contestants by standing on the apron and signaling to the referee.

(e) A second may not:

(1) excessively coach a contestant during a round and shall remain silent when instructed to do so by a Department representative or the referee;

(2) throw excessive amounts of water on his contestant;

(3) toss a towel or any other object into the ring in token surrender of his contestant;

(4) use any unapproved substance during the contest.

Then stop clicking on the threads. Phone Post

Throwing in the towel isn't always acknowledged as the physical act of throwing a towel into the ring or cage. I should have clarified what I meant in my first post. I had a fighter who was on his stool between rounds exhibiting symptoms of a bad concussion. He couldn't see straight enough to focus on anything, couldn't answer where he was accurately, and didn't know what day it was. I couldn't in my right mind let him continue so I went to the ref and told him it was over. He asked, "are you throwing in the towel?" I said "yes". The fight was over. I have also, once, climbed up on the apron and waved a towel to get the ref's attention and asked him to stop the fight. He did. I have never actually thrown a towel though.

Al Cappucino - Any of you questioning the reasoning of throwing in the towel need to remember just one name.....

Apollo Creed.

/Thread Bitches
I must break you Phone Post 3.0

if u cant find cornermen u can fully trust u shouldnt fight

Someone throw in the towel on this thread.