Stupid Question - shirt or no shirt under your gi?

Gracie Barra requires a shirt but the IBJJF won't allow it? Weird.

we have a few guys that go shirtless. i will hassle then about it. rashies are like $10 at WalMArt. Buy some. If you can drop $600 on a Showyoroll then you can buy a rashguard. scumbags. Another rule I hate about IBJJF.

Rashgaurd. Always.

ozjiujitsu - No shirt under Gi. If you think the shirt acts as some kind of sweat cleaning filter LOL. I understand why Gracie Barra does it from a business point of view. Probably a good idea in that respect Phone Post 3.0

I thinking that as it reduces skin contact with others and the mat, that there is a hygene benefit for everyone.

Not a big fan of it, but I'm totally used to it at this point.

ozjiujitsu - No shirt under Gi. If you think the shirt acts as some kind of sweat cleaning filter LOL. I understand why Gracie Barra does it from a business point of view. Probably a good idea in that respect Phone Post 3.0

I pressure pass and like to use my head against people's belly/chest etc.  I like the fact that my head is not directly in contact with someone's ringworm ... certainly feels cleaner and less slippery.

Meatgrinder - 

I thinking that as it reduces skin contact with others and the mat, that there is a hygene benefit for everyone.

Not a big fan of it, but I'm totally used to it at this point.

I always wear a long sleeve rashie and spat under my gi. The less skin that touches someone elses skin or the mats the better for me. I pick up ringwoem EASY.

Most times I wear one for consideration and I just feel cleaner. However it isn't keeping you from ring worm or staph, you showering and keeping your gear and mats clean is what prevents that.

burner22 - 
kennyfrommd - I don't usually wear a shirt under my gi. I'm there to fucking train and I don't care about sweat, or momentarily touching someone's "icky" belly.

If skin touching you is that gross, you picked the wrong hobby. Like, if this is a legitimate problem for you, I don't even know what to say. The Internet exaggerates every minor issue beyond belief. Phone Post 3.0
Finally, a voice of sanity Phone Post 3.0

Mmm, no. You're both just disgusting.

I always wear a rashguard and never a t-shirt. T-shirts retains too much sweat and get gross. One time I was pressure passing and felt like I rang some sweat out of someone's t-shirt into my ear. Phone Post 3.0

The Ghost Of Swayze -
burner22 - 
kennyfrommd - I don't usually wear a shirt under my gi. I'm there to fucking train and I don't care about sweat, or momentarily touching someone's "icky" belly.

If skin touching you is that gross, you picked the wrong hobby. Like, if this is a legitimate problem for you, I don't even know what to say. The Internet exaggerates every minor issue beyond belief. Phone Post 3.0
Finally, a voice of sanity Phone Post 3.0

Mmm, no. You're both just disgusting.
U seem like a delicate creature, perhaps the crude and uncouth world of grappling is not for you Phone Post 3.0

the guys complaining about the sweaty chests hitting them would not have liked some of the training in the late 90s early 2000s ... nothing quite like a hairy sweat hog walking into the gym and ripping their shirt right off. "Ready to fight?"

Rash gaurd. Shower before training, cut and file my finger and toe nails. Decent smelling deodrant.

Got a verruca atm so i tape my foot and then wear a trainer sock over it.

Jaack - 

Rash gaurd. Shower before training, cut and file my finger and toe nails. Decent smelling deodrant.

Got a verruca atm so i tape my foot and then wear a trainer sock over it.

try to brush my teeth, but keep altoids in my bag too.

I used to be a no shirt guy until a training partner tapped while I had him in kesa gatame. I said, "But I didn't even go for a submission." He said, "That was enough. Buy a damn rash guard, please."

Funny how strongly each side feels. I think it's clear that all of us non knuckle dragging, non mouth breathing high brow sorts prefer clean Gis AND belts, trimmed nails, covered wounds or skin ailment, and, above all, rash guards. The rest of you ass scratching stinky gi wearing tough guys enjoy rubbing your faces on sweaty, hairy training partners. Seem like I summed this up? :-) Phone Post 3.0

My gold medallion chain looks better against my white chest hair than over a rash guard, so no undergarment for me.

Philip Proctor - 

Gracie Barra requires a shirt but the IBJJF won't allow it? Weird.

Train as you fight!

Also, what's the point in spending all that time in the weight room if I can't share my beautiful alabaster pectorals with the world.

I've been training for well over a decade now, and the idea of wearing anything under my gi weirds me out.

I wish I could wear a rash guard but about 2 min into my first roll, I feel like I'm about to die from heat stroke, lol. Seriously, every single time I've worn one, I've ended up having to take it off during live rolls. Phone Post 3.0

IZBJJ - I wish I could wear a rash guard but about 2 min into my first roll, I feel like I'm about to die from heat stroke, lol. Seriously, every single time I've worn one, I've ended up having to take it off during live rolls. Phone Post 3.0

I felt that way at first and it was my main concern as I really overheat quickly in the summer, but once I got a good sweat going after a while, it was fine.

kennyfrommd - I don't usually wear a shirt under my gi. I'm there to fucking train and I don't care about sweat, or momentarily touching someone's "icky" belly.

This. I feel the same about gyms that force people to work out with towels. You can't stand a bit of another person's sweat? Get the fuck over it. Oldschool dudes used to lift on the beach with rusty plates. This is why wrestlers make fun of BJJ players.