Submission Only CHICAGO! 5/3/2014

Finally!

https://www.usgrappling.com/events/chicago-may-2014/

No points, no time limits.  

Points/time limit event on separate mats for kids, too.  Online registration and more info at the link!

Stupid.

Day before weigh-ins at 6pm on a Friday in Oaklawn.

Yea.. i'm going to sit in rush hour traffic for two hours to weigh in.

bonez05 - Stupid.

Day before weigh-ins at 6pm on a Friday in Oaklawn.

Yea.. i'm going to sit in rush hour traffic for two hours to weigh in.

You could always just weigh in Saturday morning. 

And give up 20 lbs to people that live in the burbs and make it out there on Friday night ? No thanks.

Would live to do the tournament though, but Oaklawn may as well be Indiana.

If it moves closer to the city in the future I'm in for sure Phone Post 3.0

Guys cut 20 lbs to compete in pajama fights?

Sounds gay bro Phone Post 3.0

Support Subonly :) Phone Post 3.0

TTT Phone Post 3.0

tjmitch - Guys cut 20 lbs to compete in pajama fights?

Sounds gay bro Phone Post 3.0

Hey now! There's nogi also!  ha.  My man makes a point though.  No reason to cut 20 pounds for a local/regional tournament.  

bonez05, they are the most well run tournament around.   They wrote their own software for bracketing for C's sake!  I've done probably 20+ US Grappling events and Andrew, Chrissy, and Brian do their best to first and foremost give the competitors a great experience.  They're not gettin rich off this.  They have a division for any skill level, weight level, belt, and have adult and 30+ divisions.  Just go to the divisions that  you meet the criteria for and you'll be fine.  I've never been to a US Grappling as a supporter at a table or a competitor from white belt to brown belt, where somebody has gone maniac to cut so much weight that they were making it a severe disadvantage to the other competitors of like-skill in a division.  

A lot of even regular competitor's dont' hit the sub only's. IMHO, it's out of not being in shape for a possible long match, but 90% fear.  I can vouche and probably anybody else that wants to chime in, that there are invaluable things that you can gain from a sub only that you can't at a points tournaments.  You will get tougher and you will break down some mental barriers that you didn't know you had (which will help in a point tournament).  Second, you can work on techniques that you're not 100% with being in your A game.  If you lose a position and have to work back, so what?   Third, there are things that you will learn about your game and techniques that are just not possible in a locked in 8 minute, 6 minute,  5 minute, whatever time, match.   I learned a lot of weaknesses about my game as a blue belt.  Just again, completely invaluable.  I remember specifically have a really sore bicep and found that I was not positioning my cross face ideally in side control and was pulling my forearm to me to smash my shouldah into the opponent.  I worked with my coach and we got it tweaked to where it was soon, a powerful part of my game and I was popping dude's blood vessel's in their eyes with no effort.  Pretty awesome.  

Up until about 5-6 years ago, everybody had to travel at least 2-3 hours at minimum for a tournament and typically 4-6 hours.  This is a great opportunity and I have no vested interest in US Grappling except that I have three sons that I want to compete and I want them at US Grappling.  I also enjoy the tournaments and I like seeing newer people to bjj, have an enjoyable experience rather than waiting for 8 hours at certain tornaments, having a bad ref, or a bad venue.  USG actually only uses "certifiied refs", which are purple belt only and above that have completed their ref certification course.  That says huge things about a tournament.  

There's just so much to gain from doing a sub only, it's hard to hear anybody that doesn't want to do it for a moot reason.   I 100% suppport the org, but we know it's not the Mundials.  It's not ADCC.  If you weigh like 155 and they have a weight class at 149, knock out the few pounds and either way in day of or bunk up at a friends place.  That makes sense IMO, but this is a tournament you can test yourself again people with equal amounts of time in.  Hell even people that are reffing will jump into a division here and there and they've done nothing.  Even goatfury will pop in and do a match or two.   

I'm not spiteful about it, but damn, please someone else (hopefully Eddie) jump in and tell about how things used to be 10-15 years ago when you had to travel your ass off to get to a tournament and it wasn't that frequent.  Now we do a tournament every weekend within 2 hours.  It's nuts.  Just think about not missing out on a good opportunity.  That's all.  

EddieBravo - Support Subonly :) Phone Post 3.0

Cheers Eddie and good luck next month.  Thanks for your show of suppport to the US Grappling group.  

ttt

Ttt Phone Post

Finally!!!

US grappling always runs a great tournament

bonez05 - And give up 20 lbs to people that live in the burbs and make it out there on Friday night ? No thanks.

I'm sure you'll find an excuse to duck competition the next time too.

Super stoked u guys are coming back. Over the years the only tournament weve had access to is naga and the customer service at their events has been less than. Made the decision after competing at chicago open last january that the only event i will attend is us grappling. Also love the acai cart that was there.

US Grappling is my favorite tournament top to bottom. The respect they treat competitors with seems to trickle down. A lot of other tournaments, you can't seem to walk through the front door without getting mean mugged by guys in Tapout shirts with tribal tats. US Grappling everyone treats one another with respect. When you are spending all day at a venue, this makes all the difference in the world. It's a fun, positive environment and great to be a part of.

brendan raedy - 

US Grappling is my favorite tournament top to bottom. The respect they treat competitors with seems to trickle down. A lot of other tournaments, you can't seem to walk through the front door without getting mean mugged by guys in Tapout shirts with tribal tats. US Grappling everyone treats one another with respect. When you are spending all day at a venue, this makes all the difference in the world. It's a fun, positive environment and great to be a part of.

+1

bonez05 - And give up 20 lbs to people that live in the burbs and make it out there on Friday night ? No thanks.

You may want to use your white belt to soak up your soggy vagina.

EddieBravo - Support Subonly :) Phone Post 3.0
Word! Phone Post 3.0

baby-silverback - TTT Phone Post 3.0
You going bro? If so we should get some car pooling action figured out! Phone Post 3.0

US Grappling runs fantastic tournaments. Can't recommend them highly enough.