Sumi Gaish and kimura trap illegal in IBJJF

Matthieu Battle - all part of the conspiracy the keep the double gward pull in full effect. i have it on good authority that the mendes bros have paid beaucoup dinero to make this rule happen.

scoot, scoot...

Not true, they will be outlawing the double guard pull by implementing the 20 second rule. If double guard pull happens and no one takes the top (and an advantage) then both competitors will get penalties and restarted on the feet. If it continues they will both be DQ'ed

What about if someone moves through that position during a sweep from DLR/butterfly/half or whatever??

Weinstein - There's almost no reason why you'd need to keep driving forward on a "head outside" single leg to finish it. Either run the pipe or cut to a double. Most of these next generation BJJ instructors have little to no experience in other grappling styles and it's the root of their butt flopping disciples DDTing themselves.

fucking truth here

Hunter V - 
Weinstein - There's almost no reason why you'd need to keep driving forward on a "head outside" single leg to finish it. Either run the pipe or cut to a double. Most of these next generation BJJ instructors have little to no experience in other grappling styles and it's the root of their butt flopping disciples DDTing themselves.

fucking truth here

100% agree

Been reading thread for a few days. Disagreed vehemently with this rule at first. Then in watched this vid...now not so sure. Check out starting at 5:15: http://youtu.be/3K_vtRje-Rg

I know we can't ban positions and techniques based on a few potentially freak incidents, but...dang. This actually reminds me of a time I got thrown like this off a kimura and got a nasty neck stinger...guess I got lucky. Phone Post 3.0

Definitely harrowing to watch, but it's just a straightforward switch.

Like I say, better to teach people to do a head-outside single right and defend switches/kimuras properly from there.

Personally I hate the head outside single because of the nasty switch/kimura exposure. Like others said, either run the pipe, cut to a double, or get out.

Been wrestling since 1996, doing judo since 2005 and BJJ since 2007.  Never in my entire career have I seen someone injured from a sumi gaeshi on a single leg.  That includes several years of freestyle where you had every incentive to launch people ass over teakettle.

The rule should work exactly the same as every other throwing and takedown position in wrestling/judo: the thrower is responsible for the safe return of his opponent. Period.  No reason to DQ someone or make a position illegal with the presupposition that an accident 'might' happen.

What this proves is the sad reality that competition BJJ is becoming to specialized that it's ruining the art.  People spend so much time drilling their berimbolo that they haven't learned how to take a proper fall or sprawl on a takedown.  Where I train, there are upper color belts who come in early to drill spider DLR guard but can barely do a forward roll during warmups.  I can't teach a throw because nobody wants to drill it more than five or six times for fear of being injured.  Why?  Nobody every taught them how to take a proper fall, and nobody teaches the thrower how to properly brace his uke FOR the fall in practice.

I have a herniated disc in my neck from BJJ, no idea how it happened it was just gradual thing, and seeing Braulio come back from a even more sever neck injury is really inspiring to me, and makes me feel a lot better for my situation.

HOWEVER. I watched a video of a kid jump guard on another kid, and the standing kids leg snapped. I've seen people have their arms snapped with kimuras in tournaments, I've seen kids sloppily dive for flying armbars and knock themselves out. Recently we saw a kid refuse to let go of grips when he was getting stacked and lifted and had his neck broken.

My point is crazy shit happens, you can add 50 more rules, and people are still gonna figure out ways to get hurt, I always end up hurting myself the most silly ways, as a veteran of over 6 knee surgeries (non bjj), nose surgery and now a pending neck surgery, it wasn't because the rules of whatever sport, it was a mix of bad luck and my own wrong doing. Banning these moves just muddles up the sport and makes the shit even more convoluted and confusing. Certain moves are very dangerous, but every action has a possible bad reaction and freak accident scenario is ALWAYS possible. Thats life, we need to accept that.

Life is hard, and shit happens, even when being careful and with good people. Nothing you can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rUMa8bFbqo

nogidavid - 
Jeff Rockwell - Been reading thread for a few days. Disagreed vehemently with this rule at first. Then in watched this vid...now not so sure. Check out starting at 5:15: http://youtu.be/3K_vtRje-Rg

I know we can't ban positions and techniques based on a few potentially freak incidents, but...dang. This actually reminds me of a time I got thrown like this off a kimura and got a nasty neck stinger...guess I got lucky. Phone Post 3.0

yet, that was a switch, which isn't going to be banned

Yeah. At least with the hikkikomi gaeshi, you'd be carrying much of the opponent's weight on your hook, and the elevation of the hips would make the spike much less severe.

The switch, on the other hand, or even a dynamic guillotine entry, can be pretty devastating if the guy lands the way Braulio did, since all the weight and momentum follows directly behind, turning the neck into an accordion.

Definitely a nonsensical distinction by the IBJJF.

Yea, pretty crazy Phone Post 3.0