Superstar Judo

I have his original VHS tape.  The Koreans use their "twitching/faints" in their judo to help setup their throws.  What Superstar judo is all about is trying to adapt just a few things you learn into your judo.  And to see the best at what they do. 

Uh oh. Sh@t just got real. Gerbi is on Team Superstar. Keeping my fingers crossed that she teaches on Superstar Judo this year.  

Gerbi reminds me of Iliadis in her "power judo" very similar to Iliadis.  That works in your prime but doesn't work near the end of your career as well.

I love Gerbi. World Champion and was really happy to see her win a medal in the Olympics.

This week Davaadorj demonstrates his world-class Tai-otoshi. 

Here is an awesome highlight of Davaadorj.

They mix classic judo with their Mongolian wrestling into a "take no prisoners style of attacking judo.  And look at their defensive bear hug type counters you rarely see in judo.  Massive counter throws as well.  I don't think many look forward to fighing this style of judo.  Another reason they did so well in sport sambo before it was banned by the IJF. .

judoblackbelt - 

They mix classic judo with their Mongolian wrestling into a "take no prisoners style of attacking judo.  And look at their defensive bear hug type counters you rarely see in judo.  Massive counter throws as well.  I don't think many look forward to fighing this style of judo.  Another reason they did so well in sport sambo before it was banned by the IJF. .

Judoblackbelt, I enjoy hearing your assessments. Another thing about the Mongolians is their competitive mindset. I heard an interview with Khasbaatar in which he said that before he steps on the mat for a match he reminds himself that he is a descendent of the greatest conquerer in world history and has Genghis Khan in his blood. Davaadorj said in an interview that he motivates himself by imagining that his opponent harmed his family. 

Aaron, glad I can contribute to judo on this forum.  Appreciate your insight, interest and thoughtful discussions.  You provide an honest avenue for judo to be discusses on this forum.  Doing judo for 21 years,  (BJJ for 8 years)  I just want to share my experiences and perspectives.  Your posts allow me to do this.   Thanks.

I'd like to see a breakdown of davaadorj's game when he is off to the side leaning heavy on his opponent with a low stance and a single hand gripping the belt. Only time I recall him being vulnerable to attacks from that position was against that Italian kid that ran through his bracket at Rio. Everyone else that tries uchi mata or harai goshi gets countered.

The third Mongolian on Superstar Judo, and perhaps the most explosive of them all, is 2013 World Silver Medalist Dashdavaa. As judoblackbelt mentioned, the Mongolians are so tough in the clinch, arguably the best in the world because of their wrestling. All Mongolian boys are exposed to Mongolian wrestling at a young age and in this sport the first person to have any body part other than their feet (e.g., elbow, hand, butt, knee) touch the ground loses.  

I studied Mongolian wrestling and chinese wrestling for a few years, as wells as sambo, along with free wrestling for most of my life, with my aging body, this Mongolian judo is so much better on my joints. I watched the Mongolian series and I have already been doing some of the movements but the set ups grips are so fascinating. My personal favorite by far.

nowaydo - I studied Mongolian wrestling and chinese wrestling for a few years, as wells as sambo, along with free wrestling for most of my life, with my aging body, this Mongolian judo is so much better on my joints. I watched the Mongolian series and I have already been doing some of the movements but the set ups grips are so fascinating. My personal favorite by far.

Yup. The Mongolians are awesome. Here is their promo on Superstar Judo.  

And this is their Eagle Dance. So bad as@@.  

Aaron Lapointe - 
nowaydo - I studied Mongolian wrestling and chinese wrestling for a few years, as wells as sambo, along with free wrestling for most of my life, with my aging body, this Mongolian judo is so much better on my joints. I watched the Mongolian series and I have already been doing some of the movements but the set ups grips are so fascinating. My personal favorite by far.

Yup. The Mongolians are awesome. Here is their promo on Superstar Judo.  

And this is their Eagle Dance. So bad as@@.  

I was practicing that front uchimata last night in class. I got a lot of stares. I subscribed just for Mongolian judukas.

Here is the full promo.  

This week one of the best coaches in the world and the coach of the great Teddy Riner shows his amazing osoto-gari.    

Liparteliani is the second Georgian judoka who is featured on Superstar Judo. He has one of the best uchimatas in the world and he is also known for his strong ground work. Here Neil Adams describes his unorthodox way of doing uchimata.

Liparteliani is very tall for 90k which leads to this style of uchimata and his unique collar grip lift.  Usually the collar hand elbow slides into the armpít for the lift.  Tidbit of information. Mongolia as 3 million population and #1 sport is judo.  

Some judokas are phenomenal at transitioning from throw to submission. Euan Burton is one of them. 

You might see that move 1/100 or 1/1000.  The Japanese are the best overall from a throw to transition usually some type of of turnover and pin.  They are the best at getting out of a half guard from top position. But what sets this all up is their excellent throwing skills.