Supplements - Joe Rogan Kale Shake - Onnit???

colubrid1 - 

What is all this about kale?

Is Kale something special when compared to spinach or other green vegetables?

Please explain to me what is so special about Kale?

Same here, what's with the kale? I've never heard the word kale so many times as I have in this thread. Last summer was the first time I actually ever heard of kale. Growing up I heard, "eat your spinnach,' or "eat your peas," but never ever did I hear "eat your kale."

magic bullet can't even turn chick peas into humus right.... it's ok for protein powder and banana.. about it.

I've been thinking about buying a good juicer, but I think I should steer towards a great blender, like Joes. Phone Post 3.0

sgotwalks - 
colubrid1 - 

Same here, what's with the kale? I've never heard the word kale so many times as I have in this thread. Last summer was the first time I actually ever heard of kale. Growing up I heard, "eat your spinnach,' or "eat your peas," but never ever did I hear "eat your kale."

Kale is actually quite similar to spinach in that both are very high in Vitamins A & K, but kale contains slightly more and is about 3 times higher in Vit C.

100g of kale gives you 206% RDA Vit A, 134% RDA Vit C and 684% RDA Vit K.

That's a lot of antioxidants if they're your thing

Yun - try this.

kael, spring salad mix, cilantro, cucumbers, advocado, strawberries, red mango, almonds, aged cheddar with some mango vinegerette ..

and grill a tri tip, slice em up and add it on there. it's delicious Phone Post
Wow this sounds good Phone Post 3.0

Mihow - 
SteveBeale - Be very wary or buying into nutritional hype. Taking artificial supplements may actually end up harming your health. Quite a few articles like this appearing: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=205797

FRAT article. Conclusions- Treatment with beta carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E may increase mortality... We found that antioxidant supplements, with the potential exception of selenium, were without significant effects on gastrointestinal cancers and increased all-cause mortality.14- 15

You are much better off just eating a varied diet. It's not hard.

By the way that Kale Shake is absolutely rancid! I just make soup if I feel the need to supercharge my veg intake, it's approximately ten thousand times better tasting than that fucking swamp slime shake.

and you're whats wrong with people in general

Thanks Pal!

I quite often get caught up thinking I need a new supplement/pill, whilst you can get everything you need from your diet it's hard to do so unless you know what your doing and are well prepared, personally I've cut it down to a multi vit, cod liver oil, jack3d before the gym sometimes and a protein shake after which I feel are the essentials. Phone Post 3.0

colubrid1 - 

white people shit. you didn't get the memo?

in for all the different kale shake recipes

Hes on more pills then my nana haha fuckin hell.

What about the Montel Williams blender... is it any good in comparison to the Bullet and Ninja? or is it better?

Standup29 - 
malryan - Isn't Onit joes company? I'm sure he's a major investor, hence why he sells it so hard on his podcast and shit.

You can get everything in supplements from a healthy balanced diet so why not just eat properly instead of ingesting so many pills every day?

But like someone else said, I don't know enough about it to criticise it. Phone Post 3.0

Just to play devils advocate, it is nearly impossible to get everything your body needs from diet alone. We just don't eat the variety we need in order to get it all.

A multi vitamin is a must and if your body is responding well to whatever other supplements you take, why not take them. Of course you have to get passed any potential placebo effect to know of it is truly helping.

Joe has always been big on supplements. Long before his podcast and significantly longer than he has ever been involved with onnit. Busy people do well with supps. Phone Post

you could say the same about TRT.

MattyJ - I quite often get caught up thinking I need a new supplement/pill, whilst you can get everything you need from your diet it's hard to do so unless you know what your doing and are well prepared, personally I've cut it down to a multi vit, cod liver oil, jack3d before the gym sometimes and a protein shake after which I feel are the essentials. Phone Post 3.0
Have a look at your jack3d. Some of the earlier ones are banned from sale. Can't remember the reason. Think one of the ingredients caused a few deaths ( allegedly, don't sue me) Phone Post 3.0

sgotwalks - 
BrewBarry - 
Bat21 -

Fave Juice: 1 bunch Kale, 2 parsnips, 2 handfuls spinach, 1/2 bunch cilantro, 1/2 bunch parsley, 4 green apples, juice of 1/2 of one lemon.

Fave breakfast Smoothie: 6 ice cubes, 1 frozen banana, 1 handful spinach, 1 scoop organic chocolate protein (rice) powder, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 1/4 cup organic Peanut Butter, 500ml Chocolate Almond Milk (unsweetened), 1/4 cup shredded coconut.

I throw all that into my Vitamix and blend until the preferred consistency. It tastes like a Chocolate-PB-Macaroon milkshake, and is very good for you

Quoting for later, both sound amazing Phone Post 3.0

I have read a few times of people using frozen bananas in their smoothies/shakes. Out of curiosity, is there any reason outside of cooling the smoothie? I use bananas all the time, but never frozen, but I will definitely freeze them going forward, as I find I need to add more ice cubes due to the bananas warming the smoothie too much. Is there anything else to the banana being frozen?

Also, is there any difference between a smoothie and a shake? I make smoothies (or so I have been referencing them), and these shakes you all speak of seem no different than a smoothie to me. Same thing?

I really just use frozen fruit so I don't have to use any ice. I don't think there is really any other benifit to it, other than it keeps longer. I'm sure you probably get more nutrients out of raw fruit than frozen.

As for shake vs smoothie I think technically a shake has milk and ice cream, but in this context it's the same thing. Kinda like soda vs pop.

Appears to be in the UK:

A sports supplement popular with fitness fanatics has been banned in Britain because of fears it may have lethal side-effects.
The drink Jack3D contains a stimulant known as DMAA (dimethylamylamine) that has been linked to high blood pressure, headaches, vomiting, stroke and even a death.
The UK’s medicines watchdog MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) has ruled it is unlicensed and all other DMAA containing products need to be removed from the market to protect public safety. Phone Post 3.0

BrewBarry - 
sgotwalks - 
BrewBarry - 
Bat21 -

Fave Juice: 1 bunch Kale, 2 parsnips, 2 handfuls spinach, 1/2 bunch cilantro, 1/2 bunch parsley, 4 green apples, juice of 1/2 of one lemon.

Fave breakfast Smoothie: 6 ice cubes, 1 frozen banana, 1 handful spinach, 1 scoop organic chocolate protein (rice) powder, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, 1/4 cup organic Peanut Butter, 500ml Chocolate Almond Milk (unsweetened), 1/4 cup shredded coconut.

I throw all that into my Vitamix and blend until the preferred consistency. It tastes like a Chocolate-PB-Macaroon milkshake, and is very good for you

Quoting for later, both sound amazing Phone Post 3.0

I have read a few times of people using frozen bananas in their smoothies/shakes. Out of curiosity, is there any reason outside of cooling the smoothie? I use bananas all the time, but never frozen, but I will definitely freeze them going forward, as I find I need to add more ice cubes due to the bananas warming the smoothie too much. Is there anything else to the banana being frozen?

Also, is there any difference between a smoothie and a shake? I make smoothies (or so I have been referencing them), and these shakes you all speak of seem no different than a smoothie to me. Same thing?

I really just use frozen fruit so I don't have to use any ice. I don't think there is really any other benifit to it, other than it keeps longer. I'm sure you probably get more nutrients out of raw fruit than frozen.

As for shake vs smoothie I think technically a shake has milk and ice cream, but in this context it's the same thing. Kinda like soda vs pop.

I use frozen fruit for the "ice cream" effect it gives to the smoothie. As for nutritive value between fresh and frozen, fruits and vegetables chosen for freezing tend to be processed at their peak ripeness, a time when—as a general rule—they are most nutrient-packed.

On the other hand, fruits and vegetables destined to be shipped to the fresh-produce aisles around the country typically are picked before they are ripe, which gives them less time to develop a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals.

<blockquote>tinytuffnutz - <blockquote>Chareth Cutestory - <blockquote>sgotwalks - <p><br /> Any insight into the<strong> Onnit products</strong>? Does anybody use these products, if so, what do you think? What separates them from the competition, if anything? </p></blockquote><br /> Their ingredients are sourced from China. I avoid supplements from China because of the heavy metal risk.</blockquote><br /> Wow, so glad I had taken 5 alpha brains today. I will say however, they do help me function better.</blockquote><br /> *EDIT:I realize this sounds sarcastic, but I was being honest, about it making me function better. Just wanted to make that clear. An I know it says to take no more than 4 on the bottle.

4L8R Phone Post 3.0

tatooedMillionaire - I have something similar to this every day when I wake up

kale, banana, oats, grapes, celery, cucumber, blueberries and milk

Substitute quinoa flakes for the oats and coconut milk over dairy and you've got a winner

Some Green Super Food too