Talk to a UFC Judge

aissa: My favorite question so far. I can just imagine you at your keyboard, typing that question in with a self-satisfied smirk on your face (probably a lot like the one on mine). I doubt our paths will ever cross, but keep up the good work. Uncle Douglas is very proud of you.

ON THAT NOTE GUYS I HAVE TO GO. IWILL BE BACK TOMORROW TO CONTINUE. HOPE I ANSWERED A FEW OF YOUR QUESTIONS.   THANKS!!!!!

Crosby 12-28-06 5:13 PM EST

Im not quite sure that what you wrote is really observed with fights. Case and point Vitor vs Tito where we know Tito won the last round. certainly not a 10-8 round at all. The controversy came from the first round where Vitor did land more telling blows and cause damage (broken nose of tito), yet Tito's TD at the end of the round seemed to somehow swindle the round to his favor. I along with many others feel the rd was awarded upon him achieving a TD alone because he certainly did not do anything substantual with that TD to merit pts to win the round.

Same thing as with the Forrest fight. first rd is 10-9 Tito, second round went to Forrest and the Third seeming would go to forrest as well with him landing the more crisp punches. titos were not doing any damage. He did achieve a TD with the last 1:00 I believe and layed on top of Forrest. No elbows or punches connected and Forrest was able to stand up.

Just curious how you observe these two examples where the TD's seemed to be the deciding factor......yet neither were used after the TD to an advantageous effect, or a convincing fashion to show dominant position.

And one more thing. How am I able to obtain a liscense to judge/ref on a professional level. I am in Ohio and not sure if it is different state to state.

Thanks for answering my questions Douglas, I have two more questions Id like to ask you.

How much knowledge do you need in terms of submissions when it comes to scoring when two fighters are on the ground? There are so many ways you can submit an opponent, do you have to learn to spot a lot of those techniques to score a fighter trying to finish a match, and scoring a fighter trying to defend against (and sometimes countering) a submission attempt?

And when it comes to your actual vantage point, is there any regulation to dictate where you are located to score the fights? I can imagine the nature of the cage and it's pillars can make scoring a fight sometimes a little difficult? Do you have a monitor close to hand if the fighters get out of view?

Thanks for your time.

Dan

Yeah even though mine was palmed off lol kidding, thanks for taking time out to answer our questions. I still think submission attempts should take preference over just laying on someone though ;)

I've actually been happy with every decision that's been made in the UFC for the past five years (in the more visible bouts, anyway). Keep up the good work.

Douglas, Thanks for answering my question.

After reading all of your responses, it seems as though you are admitting that the judging system is completely objective and can change from fight to fight as every punch and every takedown is different from the previous one.

Although I respect your opinion, I feel as though this is a terrible way to go about judging because it promotes the idea that fights should have a consensus winner that everyone can agree on.

I think MMA has a great oportunity to avoid the controversy that boxing has received in the past by creating a scoring system that counts takedowns, punches, submission attempts, etc and comes to a scoring amount based on each of those tactics.

Not only do I think this would make your job easier but it would take a lot of the heat off judges for their decisions because they would become score keepers as opposed to state appointed fight subjectors.

"Dana White has influence on the scoring of the fights. "

Douglas - get your assistant to click 'Edit' on this post and put in the crucial missing word.

Who do you believe won the Lytle - Serra fight?, and what do you think the two judges who scored it 30-27 for Serra were looking at, and the judge who scored it 30-27 Lytle was looking at? Thanks.

thx for answering both my question but.....?

randleman beat bas!!!!!:)

Willybone asked the questions I had in mind - thanks for your answer and your comments here!

Douglas, thanks for coming on again,I do enjoy the info. do you know how many fights you have judged and do you feel you got better with time?

I just want to appreciate you Douglas for coming on here and answering everyone's questions. I learned alot about the whole system, personally.

see my call out thread mr crosby

ttt

Shootfightermike: Sorry it took me awhile I didn't know what a 'callout thread' was. Now that I have found it, please check my response and post it here as well. I would but I don't know how, and I am typing this in a "Starbucks" in an airport and I have to get on a plane soon....hope it explains everything, and hope you also manage to include it here (if possible please also include your original message to me on that thread; I think it is very valuable as it allows anyone reading it to ascertain your tone and how you chose to approach someone who was trying to cooperate with the MMA.TV fans...) That being said take care and look forward to answering more questions from you.

To everyone else, I will get back to my office in a few days and try to answer some more questions then.  

sorry sir and i am too stoopid to cut and paste

but fellas he did clear shit up and i apologize to him.

sfm

(i also stand by everything i posted as should you sir)