TapouT sold? end of an era

by Adam Lawman

MMA’s top clothing brand TapouT has been synonymous with the sport for over 10 years, but their future could hold many changes. Sources close to TapouT have told MMAPrime.TV that the company will soon announce that they are sold or being sold and that sales representatives have already been let go from the clothing company’s headquarters. The source also stated that the new buyer is possibly none other than reputed billionaire Warren Buffett.

TapouT was started by Dan Caldwell (aka “Punkass”) and the late Charles Lewis Jr (aka “Mask”) back in 1997. From it’s beginning in San Bernardino, CA to it’s current status as one of the most recognizable brands in popular culture, TapouT has become a multi-million dollar company and even spawned a reality television series which was aired on the Versus channel.

Read more: http://mmaprime.tv/2010/09/01/mmaprime-tv-exclusive-mma-clothing-giant-tapout-sold/#ixzz0yFOhLB2S

i hope both affliction and tapout stop existing

rip

^^^^good question

xcouturefan - i hope both affliction and tapout stop existing

this x1000

Maybe Everlast bought them to get their logo back.

Warren Buffett... really?

wat? i'm still wait for the $100 gift certificate that i won over at the ufc poker site... they better not welch

I smell bullshit. 

KenBania - Will this place still be "powered by TapouT"

Powered by Buffett IMO

So am I the only one that has a hard time believing that Warren Buffet has any interest in Tap Out much less MMA. Even as big as MMA numbers have grown..... doesnt seem worthy of Buffett interest.

Hopefully for the Tap Out dudes I am wrong. I used to work with Charles ex-Girlfriend. She was all about money and basically bailed since he "didnt have enough future to offer". He made it big with in months and her new boy went BK.

Buffett owns Russell Athletic which in turn owns Spalding...

MontyG - 

this x1000

Apparently you also hope your favorite fighters stop getting paid and promotion of the sport ceases as well. How some of you can be this retarded is beyond me please go suicide yourself.

slamming - 
MontyG - 

this x1000
Maybe im missing something, but wouldnt a prime source of revenue for a fighter be something that is considered a "good thing"?

Perhaps, im wrong and big sponsors ceasing to exist is the best thing for the sport. 

The sport is huge now.

It doesn't live or die by t-shirt companies which attract douchebag.

I love mma/NHB.

I hate t-shirts with shitty looking skulls on them.

why break a story if you don't have the correct/full story?

awilson82 - 
MontyG - 

this x1000
Apparently you also hope your favorite fighters stop getting paid and promotion of the sport ceases as well. How some of you can be this retarded is beyond me please go suicide yourself.

Your making a lot of sense. LOL

If Affliction stops existing mma will suffer and die.

Buffout?

xcouturefan - 
awilson82 - 
MontyG - 

this x1000

Your making a lot of sense. LOL

If Affliction stops existing mma will suffer and die.

No but some fighters would lose a bunch of money and both companies spend alot of $$$ to further the sport.

Would new companies eventually step in? Yes

Would they make "douche tshirts" too? Yes

So the brands that have actually put the work and money in should be the ones to make the money not some new company that will be a carbon copy anyway but probably suck more and doesnt deserve it.

Even if the new company was Nike then thats bullshit too Tapout put the work in and was here from day one and has done things for this sport that are unmeasurable while the mainstream brands ignored MMA to want them to fail just because some 15 yr old douches at the mall wear their shirts is ignorant and petty.

the more I think about it, the more this desire to be the first to break a story without having all the facts annoys me.

End of an era? You think someone bought tapout to get rid of it? You think Skrape and PA won't still be the face? I highly doubt that..