TBA Level 2 Test

Bull- looks like your in Herndon, a little out of the way but thanks for reminding me I need to move out of Woodbridge.

Matt OSMA - I was curious if you would mind me coming by and training with you a couple times so that perhaps you could see my skill set and point me in the right direction of what I might need to work on etc.

You're welcome anytime! please check the website for class times.

fwiw, I hope you realize that my comments were not made toward you, rather to what you're learning and how. As an instructor, that's what I'm looking at. Clearly I beleive that there are many "muay thai" programs out there (many, probably the majority, you just happen to be closeby) that aren't teaching actual muay thai. They've come from generations of former TMA /jkd/insosanto guys who know techniques, but do not undersand the correct application of them. I've seen at least a dozen Chai/TBA/JKD "instructors" who sell a myth. They say muay thai, but they teach a version of muddled americanized kickboxing.  Is that so evil? No! but as we've said it is misrepresentative of authentic muay thai.

nate7 - Bull- looks like your in Herndon, a little out of the way but thanks for reminding me I need to move out of Woodbridge.

LMAO!  fwiw my friend and newly annointed bjj blackbelt Joe Cunningham teaches bjj in woodbridge and he's a great guy! and if you want to wrestle you've got gold medal grappling.  friends don't let friends go to Capital ;-)  

wow after looking at related videos on you tube, my heart is broken. I saw alot of "thai instructor" and "muay thai black belt" tests that make me sad

Rick Screeton -  wow after looking at related videos on you tube, my heart is broken. I saw alot of "thai instructor" and "muay thai black belt" tests that make me sad

You are really going to love this vid then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxmpS7A9gyY

"Authentic Muay Thai taught by a 5th Degree Black Arm Band"

The fat guy at the end is funny.

dark Winter day - 
Rick Screeton -  wow after looking at related videos on you tube, my heart is broken. I saw alot of "thai instructor" and "muay thai black belt" tests that make me sad

You are really going to love this vid then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxmpS7A9gyY

"Authentic Muay Thai taught by a 5th Degree Black Arm Band"

After THAT - give the OP a break already guys!

Thats it, everyone on this thread is now a muay thai black belt!  Send me your checks for 500 bucks each!

lkfmdc - 
dark Winter day - 
You are really going to love this vid then... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxmpS7A9gyY "Authentic Muay Thai taught by a 5th Degree Black Arm Band"
After THAT - give the OP a break already guys!

Agreed. 

I looked up that other gym, from Tom's River, NJ.  Here's what I found on their website:

"Adult Muay Thai Kickboxing Classes

We offer Adult Muay Thai Kickboxing Classes 7 days a week both morning and evening classes (please see our schedule for class times).

Our Program....

We have broken our workout down into 3 parts:

Part 1: Fitness - the fitness portion of our workout teaches you proper exercise technique so you get he most benefit out of each exercise from basic sit-ups and push-ups to more advanced core training exercises, balance drills and strengthening exercises.

Part 2: Muay Thai Kickboxing Techniques - Muay Thai, also known as the "Science of 8 Limbs" utilizies punches, elbows, knees and kicks. You will be shown proper technique to many different strikes and blocks used in Muay Thai Kickboxing.  Our instructors will make sure your technique is correct in order for you to get the most benefit out of learning this Martial Art.

Part 3: Conditioning - as in any Martial Art or fighting style, you must be able to take a hit as well as give one. Our conditioning is designed to help strengthen you to take a strike - from kicks to punches and knees.  This conditioning also helps improve your fitness level as you progress.

We also offer Kids' Classes and Sparring (Fighter's Union).

Graduation .....

As in every Martial Art Style, there are different levels of achievement - Ranks if you will.  Muay Thai Kickboxing is no different.  In Muay Thai Kickboxing, instead of belts, we have armbands.  First level is WHITE which is obtained after at least one month of being a member, when you have learned basic punching and defenses.  Then from there, approximately every three months, you will advance to the next level.  There are 11 levels on your way to Black Armband.  From there, there are 8 levels of Black that can be achieved.

Graduation will take place instead of class on a given day.  You will be asked to demonstrate what you have learned in front of piers, family and friends. This is not a test.  Just simply a demonstration for your family, friends and fellow students.  You will then receive your new armband and certificate of achievement.

The best workout you can get will depend on you.  We will give you the tools, you just need to bring the desire and willingness to learn."

So it's one month until White Armband, then every 3 months for 10 more levels until black....31 months until black armband!  Jackpot!

No mention of clinching at all?

Ryukyu Damashi - The fat guy at the end is funny.

lol, believe it or not according to their website that guy is the instructor of their "Fighters' Union" classes where they spar and can train you for a "competitive fight"...

twinkletoesCT - 

I looked up that other gym, from Tom's River, NJ.  Here's what I found on their website:

So it's one month until White Armband, then every 3 months for 10 more levels until black....31 months until black armband!  Jackpot!

Did you dig any farther? This school is just one generation removed from Phil Nurse (Phil to wellington to them). They even claim the arm band thing is Phil's ranking system

Rick Screeton -  Thats it, everyone on this thread is now a muay thai black belt!  Send me your checks for 500 bucks each!

Well, I am not even a Muay Thai guy, I just play one at certain events LOL

lkfmdc - 
Rick Screeton -  Thats it, everyone on this thread is now a muay thai black belt!  Send me your checks for 500 bucks each!

Well, I am not even a Muay Thai guy, I just play one at certain events LOL

Thats fine.. just pony up the cash! HA!

Graduation will take place instead of class on a given day. You will be asked to demonstrate what you have learned in front of piers,, family and friends

Just when I thought I was out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QrGCNzsCHM

lkfmdc - Did you dig any farther? This school is just one generation removed from Phil Nurse (Phil to wellington to them). They even claim the arm band thing is Phil's ranking system

I did find that, too. Wellington claims it's how Phil Nurse ranked him, but I cannot find ANYTHING on any of Phil Nurse's sites about it. Can anyone shed additional light on the matter?

For Ryukyu:

OMG!!!!! I am having a serious belly laugh over this!

Ryukyu - is it me or is it disturbing how similar that guys voice sounds to mine?

This guy is one of the reasons I chose to coach out of my garage instead of at a gym....